Search

Which Lounge Dubai on BA first?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Which Lounge Dubai on BA first?

Hi All
I will be travelling to DXB in April on BA First. I have never been there before.
My return is 01:30 hrs 18th April. Obviously I can use the BA Lounge, but is there anything better/nicer in Dubai I could use on the BA first ticket? I also have a Lounge club card to access somewhere is that helps in anyway

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Flying First, you obviously have access to the BA CCR lounge which is accessed through the normal BA lounge.

It’s a small room. The food and beverage is very limited (there is champagne though). On the positive side it tends to be very quiet and I personally find the chairs really comfy and relaxing.

Apologies if you already knew about the CCR. I’m not sure there are many other viable options.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk Thighsofsteel, it's good to see you here, and though I don't envy your departure time, I hope you have a good flight.

You get access to the Concorde Bar (CCB) within the BA Lounge, which I happen to think is a nice quiet lounge, but others complain it's rather small. With your card I think you can use the third party lounges of Ahlan and Maharba, perhaps the Skyteam lounge too, and they are all in the D concourse area. But I personally wouldn't describe any of them as an improvement on CCB (though I haven't been inside Ahlan). However hopefully the DXB regulars can give their views on this. There is more information on the BA lounges in the Middle East Lounges section, in the Dashboard.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I flew out of DXB (on the 106, so circa 02:30 departure) this Wednesday. I walked into the BA lounge and promptly left in favour of the Ahlan Business Lounge. I arrived at about 00:30 (so 2 hours pre-departure) and there was absolutely nowhere to sit apart from at the high table. No thanks.

I was in CW, so don’t know if the CCB was busy or not, but the main lounge was a woefully poor experience. It honestly isn’t clear to me why BA bothered to build their own facility at DXB when it is nowhere near big enough to accommodate the passengers from a single flight.

FWIW, I investigated both the Marhaba and Ahlan lounges. I thought the latter was generally the better option (and much better than the BA lounge in terms of seating, space and food offerings - full range of hot buffet food available, and a manned bar). On my sample of 1, Ahlan was perhaps 30% full. Marhaba maybe 60% full.
Thighsofsteel, NoY and oceanscape like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

I think my flight is the 106. With the change in clocks I assume. So you get in the Ahlan lounge on your CW ticket?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Thighsofsteel
I think my flight is the 106. With the change in clocks I assume. So you get in the Ahlan lounge on your CW ticket?
No, you need Priority Pass or similar.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No, you need Priority Pass or similar.
ok thanks. Will check out the CCR and if that is chokka I will give the Ahlan a try.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I spent an hour and a half in Ahlan Business lounge last month. It's a good option, on the top floor near the Skyteam and Lufthansa lounges from memory. Decent drinks choice and a good buffet. In addition, you can also order some food from a menu, although I didn't realise this until we were leaving.

There's also a spa of some description at the back but I'm not sure what it consists of behind the entrance door.

​​​​​​On the strength of other reviews, I gave the BA lounge a miss completely so didn't even pop my head in.

Last edited by bigwalrus; Mar 3, 2019 at 9:33 am Reason: Mistake
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I got in using Lounge Key, although they also take Priority Pass and Lounge Club cards, so you should be OK based on your first post. (And yes, it's the same flight post time change).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
It’s a small room. The food and beverage is very limited (there is champagne though). On the positive side it tends to be very quiet and I personally find the chairs really comfy and relaxing.
I agree with this assessment of the CCB. It’s nothing special decor-wise and definitely small, but that said, in several visits I’ve never failed to get a seat (though normally I just sit on one of the high stools around the central bar/table), and it is peaceful. The food and drink provision is the same as in the main BA lounge, apart from having champagne. Don’t expect LPGS, last month they had Canard-Duchene Charles VII BdB.

This flight looks like it’s being operated by a 388, so I would expect the main lounge to be rammed. BA didn’t consider (or didn’t care about) the implications of super-hi J 744s or 388s when constructing this lounge. I’ve seen occasions when they’ve had to send pax across to Marhaba due to overcrowding. It’s not that pleasant when so crowded.

The CCB should be fine, though my general policy on BA flights out of DXB is to minimise airport/lounge time. On night flights, I have a decent dinner in the city, spend maybe 20-30 mins in the lounge tops, then board and get my head down ASAP. I realise that’s not maximising the F (or even CW) experience, but that’s not my priority. YMMV, of course.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oaxaca

I agree with this assessment of the CCB. It’s nothing special decor-wise and definitely small, but that said, in several visits I’ve never failed to get a seat (though normally I just sit on one of the high stools around the central bar/table), and it is peaceful. The food and drink provision is the same as in the main BA lounge, apart from having champagne. Don’t expect LPGS, last month they had Canard-Duchene Charles VII BdB.

This flight looks like it’s being operated by a 388, so I would expect the main lounge to be rammed. BA didn’t consider (or didn’t care about) the implications of super-hi J 744s or 388s when constructing this lounge. I’ve seen occasions when they’ve had to send pax across to Marhaba due to overcrowding. It’s not that pleasant when so crowded.

The CCB should be fine, though my general policy on BA flights out of DXB is to minimise airport/lounge time. On night flights, I have a decent dinner in the city, spend maybe 20-30 mins in the lounge tops, then board and get my head down ASAP. I realise that’s not maximising the F (or even CW) experience, but that’s not my priority. YMMV, of course.
You can only eat and drink so much after all and at 01:30 in the morning I am not thinkIng food anyway. Thanks for the info
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond

You can only eat and drink so much after all and at 01:30 in the morning I am not thinkIng food anyway. Thanks for the info
Speak for yourself !!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Is the CCB closed for the 01:30 flights now, as it’s an A350 with no First!? Or do they relax the rules for Gold/GGL now to use the space!?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Is the CCB closed for the 01:30 flights now, as it’s an A350 with no First!? Or do they relax the rules for Gold/GGL now to use the space!?
CCR card holders didn't have access to the CCB at DXB or SIN unless flying F (due to overcrowding concerns as they're small spaces), so I can't see them suddenly opening it up to all GGLs now the CCR card has been retired.

I would wager that rather than clear out the champagne, etc. to use it as an overflow space they'd rather just punt pax to Marhaba when it reaches capacity.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
There are no amazing lounge options in DXB on BA. The McDonald's (just opposite the BA lounge) has very nice runway views though. You can also stock up on a large pack of Chicken McNuggets pre-flight (must have item in BA F these days: Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class).
Beergander and oceanscape like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.