Search

Collecting tier points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, BA
Collecting tier points

Hi guys,

I live in Sydney. This year I became a bronze member of BAEC. I won’t get to silver unfortunately due to not having four BA flights just two. My BAEC expires the at the worst time, the 7th of Jan. I either fly to the UK for Christmas for a month or USA to see partners family for a month where we return after the 8th Jan.

My question is I have seen some good prices on AA to the USA in PE , can I claim the points when I return and have all the tier points put onto my new BAEC year?
Them few hundred tier points would be a great head start for the new year as I’ll be flying back to the UK in the summer so will get my four BA flights then and put me onto silver.
I would hate the tier points to go to waste.

Thanks for your patience with this newbie and for your advice.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Unfortunately not. The tier points will be based on the date of travel, not the date of posting.

This probably doesn't help you either but the last day of your collection year is the 8th not the 7th of the month.
SQTraveller and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
Unfortunately not. The tier points will be based on the date of travel, not the date of posting.

This probably doesn't help you either but the last day of your collection year is the 8th not the 7th of the month.

Wow, that really sucks
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by LiveForTravel
Hi guys,

I live in Sydney. This year I became a bronze member of BAEC. I won’t get to silver unfortunately due to not having four BA flights just two. My BAEC expires the at the worst time, the 7th of Jan. I either fly to the UK for Christmas for a month or USA to see partners family for a month where we return after the 8th Jan.

My question is I have seen some good prices on AA to the USA in PE , can I claim the points when I return and have all the tier points put onto my new BAEC year?
Them few hundred tier points would be a great head start for the new year as I’ll be flying back to the UK in the summer so will get my four BA flights then and put me onto silver.
I would hate the tier points to go to waste.

Thanks for your patience with this newbie and for your advice.
If you are likely to be very very close -- like 10 points off Silver, and you're travelling very shortly after, it might be worth emailing BA Executive Club. Sometimes (and I emphasise sometimes), they might be willing to give you a pass. It's never been an issue with my for BA as I always make my TPs (just) but I have asked with other airlines and they are willing to give me a little leeway.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
If you are likely to be very very close -- like 10 points off Silver, and you're travelling very shortly after, it might be worth emailing BA Executive Club. Sometimes (and I emphasise sometimes), they might be willing to give you a pass. It's never been an issue with my for BA as I always make my TPs (just) but I have asked with other airlines and they are willing to give me a little leeway.
I’m more than 100 points away which would be fine because I usually fly PE. The one that kills me off is not having 4 BA flights. I could get silver by BA PE return SYD-SIN, however the flight is expensive especially for a 5th freedom flight.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:37 pm

Have you considered other frequent flyer programs? Perhaps BAEC is not best suited to your circumstances?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
Have you considered other frequent flyer programs? Perhaps BAEC is not best suited to your circumstances?
Yeah I looked into JAL and Qantas. Qantas’s has really poor FF scheme. BAEC was in the long term better than JMB as I’m moving to the USA next year for a couple of years then back to the sunny UK. I figured BAEC long term would be better for saving avios than having a small amount of points over a couple of FF schemes
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:02 pm

Yeah I looked into JAL and Qantas. Qantas’s has really poor FF scheme. BAEC was in the long term better than JMB as I’m moving to the USA next year for a couple of years then back to the sunny UK. I figured BAEC long term would be better for saving avios than having a small amount of points over a couple of FF schemes
That sounds sensible.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Doesn't Qantas have some quite good double point deals from time to time?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF WP
I made the jump from BAEC to QFF (via LATAM...) and I find QFF as good as BAEC for my purposes. However YMMV. @Mwenenzi has a good run down.

If if I had my time again I might perhaps have gone for AAdvantage. Then again I may not have

FWIW the SIN-SYD flights is what finally convinced me to move from BAEC. They were not enjoyable
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Wow, that really sucks
It wouldn't "suck" if on 7 January you are a few TPs short of attaining or renewing a status, you take a flight on 8 January that puts you over the threshold, and it posts on or after 9 January. The same "date of flight" rule means that that flight automatically counts in the previous year and you automatically reach the required threshold, exactly as you'd expect for a system that's intended to count how many TPs you earn on flights from 9 January to 8 January each year, inclusive.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It wouldn't "suck" if on 7 January you are a few TPs short of attaining or renewing a status, you take a flight on 8 January that puts you over the threshold, and it posts on or after 9 January. The same "date of flight" rule means that that flight automatically counts in the previous year and you automatically reach the required threshold, exactly as you'd expect for a system that's intended to count how many TPs you earn on flights from 9 January to 8 January each year, inclusive.
I’m not complaining that if people are able to top up their previous year and gain status, good luck to them seeing that they paid the money to get status’. I’m just saying that is sucks for me in that at least 100 tier points will be wasted because of the awkward date my BAEC year ends.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Everyone’s collection year ends on the 8th of the month and that has been the position for many years now. It will be always be awkward for some people and you aren’t the first person to complain about it and ‘wasted’ tiermpoints but the scheme is what it is.

BA does allow a 14 days grace period where TPs can - if you ask for it - credit to the old year if I t would mean you gain or retain a status level. Other programmes don’t allow that flexibility.

But they are clear that you can’t credit flights from the old year to your new year. Even doing a retro claim won’t help because what matters is the flight date not the posting date.

nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
TP dates can be a pain - if I knew we would get to this dizzy level of status I might have planned our registration dates better. We are 6 months out in our TP years, and although my partner earned over 1500 TPs within a 10 month period, they were split over 2 years so she only made silver. Not so bad if we only ever travel together but still a shame she didn't get to gold for when she took her mum away.
LiveForTravel likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:38 pm

I’m just saying that is sucks for me in that at least 100 tier points will be wasted because of the awkward date my BAEC year ends.
Not necessarily wasted if you consider the long term quest for Lifetime Gold or Lifetime GGL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.