Can I use my cpap on any seat or just first class

Old Mar 2, 19, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Can I use my cpap on any seat or just first class

I will be carrying a cpap and need to use for overnight flight, Chicago to uk, will the seats have power or only certain classes?
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA forum! Hope that you will enjoy the place and make yourself at home. Availability of individual seat power in World Traveller depends on the plane type. Some 744s and some 777s do not have in seat power in WT, all other planes (including other 744s and 777s) do. In all other travel classes (W, J, F) there is always in seat power at every seat, but some do require a special adapted in W. You can find BA's own reference guide here:

https://www.britishairways.com/cms/g...uick-Guide.pdf

That said, as this seems to have to do with medical reasons, I'd strongly recommend you to contact BA before hand to arrange a smooth experience. Imagine that you book a different plane type or class to ensure in seat power and then find that you have selected a seat with faulty power (this happens - in fact, I have had several trips recently on some 747 where the power points did not work anywhere in the plane). It will be best for you if they know about your requirements.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And my welcome too Coreopolis, welcome to the BA board.

https://www.britishairways.com/jba/b...thmedinfo.html
BA's advice is here, and on CPAP machines it says

CPAP machine

• You do not need medical clearance to travel with or use a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea.
  • These machines can use an adaptor to plug into a laptop power point if itís available. We do recommend using a dry cell battery to operate your machine just in case the power point near your seat is not working.
  • The maximum power output of our laptop point is 75 watts. If your machine needs more power than this then the power point will automatically switch off.
orbitmic and adrianlondon like this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Make certain that you read the BA section on power for CPAP machines. In kind terms, it makes the clear point that seat power may not be of sufficient wattage and may not be working. Therefore BA states, "we recommend using a dry cell battery for any critical medical equipment."

The same is true for AA which would be the most likely reroute in IRROPS.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
I wonder if the high cost of a portable battery would be offset by the ability to travel in any class?

I don't know how big, heavy and inconvenient a battery would be because I never travelled with my cpap. It's big enough in itself so I can understand why you wouldn't want to carry anything extra.

But if you are reliant on it is it worth the risk of getting a seat with a faulty power supply?
Old Mar 2, 19, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Faulty or a CPAP machine requiring greater wattage than the passenger onboard power supply. Can't operate a lot of high-end laptops off those systems.
Old Mar 2, 19, 9:26 pm

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
Batteries are quite small and depending on which CPAP you have can last quite a while.
I use a ResMed air mini and have an "Inline" battery, meaning the cpap power supply plugs into the battery and the battery into the CPAP, this way seat power charges the battery and battery runs the CPAP, if seat power goes away the battery still functions the CPAP - essentially the same as a laptop being disconnected from its charger.
I also carry an adapter for Singapore as it seems to be the most robust and stable platform to receive power from the on board outlets.
Old Mar 2, 19, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have the ResMed AirSense 10 and bought a lithium battery back especially for that my older pack didnít work).

You should have a battery is my suggestion. There are blackouts wherever you live often enough to warrant having one at home (keeping it charged).

That being said, I am not comfortable using the cpso sitting up so itís J if I want to sleep.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 2, 19 at 10:46 pm
Old Mar 2, 19, 10:39 pm

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
I have the ResMed AirSense 10 and bought a lithium battery back especially for that my older pack didnít work).

You should have a battery is my suggestion. There are blackouts wherever you live often enough to warrant having one at home (keeping it charged).

That being said, I am not comfortable using the cpap if not in J. (might with the mini if thatís what you have).
My home unit is the air sense 10 and that thing is huge, the air mini is smaller than the water tank - so definitely makes it easy to use on the plane
Old Mar 2, 19, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
I also carry an adapter for Singapore as it seems to be the most robust and stable platform to receive power from the on board outlets.
If you have space also include other adapters. I have been on more than one plane where the multistandard outlets really struggled to connect properly with a UK/SG plug but then was ok with an EU adapter. YMMV.
Old Mar 3, 19, 3:15 am

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
My experience with BA at-seat power and xPAP over ~13 years is that you are taking a significant risk if you rely on it 1) being available at all and 2) Not tripping out during the flight.

If you must use xPAP get a battery pack. the Medistrom Pilot 24 works well.

Search this Thread