Connection dragons??

Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by abligh
. I pointed again and and she said no, being gold made no difference. I pointed again and finally it dawned on her I was in row 1 and there wasn't actually a seat in front to put the bag under.
I've had the same insistence on having the yellow tag when I'm in an exit row. This is not AA where they allow bags under the seats in exit rows (usually I have to tell my fellow pax that when I see them trying to do it). Have tried explaining the futility several times, sometimes believed and other times not. I just take the tag off when I get on the plane.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I'd have been very annoyed if I were the OP. At the risk of sounding very DYKWIA they should target non-status pax first. It's not only BA though, at T4 I was recently told by KLM staff that I had to check my bag in as it was a "very small plane", which is rubbish as it was operated by a 738. Her colleagues had already collared various passengers. I told her my bag fitted under the seat in front (which it did) and that I would put it there (which I did), it it was noticeable that there was plenty of space in the overhead lockers around me. My experiences on BA have been better, but it would help if people didn't take on ridiculously sized trolleys.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cpdc1030
I've had the same insistence on having the yellow tag when I'm in an exit row.
Just let them put the yellow tag on, then put the bag in the overhead locker. Easy. No need to waste time trying to explain something to someone who obviously isn't interested enough to care.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Just let them put the yellow tag on, then put the bag in the overhead locker. Easy. No need to waste time trying to explain something to someone who obviously isn't interested enough to care.
Got singled out couple of times and asked to put a yellow tag on my tiny messenger bag (only fits my laptop and a phone). Never argued, just put it on my bag and went on. It got mildly amusing once when the gate agent reminded me to put it under a seat in front of me despite me travelling F and 1K (which she could obviously see). I chuckled and said I would most definitely do so if cabin crew were fine with that. One of my DYKWIA moments indeed.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Gate 11 LGW yesterday, gate dragon tried to force me to check bag. I was in 1A. I said Id rather not. She said the flight was full and I had to. I again said Id paid extra for Business for this exact reason. She reluctantly let me keep bag. Considering I had no second / personal bag I found this very annoying.

Flight was to AGP
Exact same happened to me last week to MAD... I was not in 1A but in 3C I recall, still J.
Sometimes they need to look their manners and check what type of passenger is she talking to, of course no excuses if the bag exceeds the dimensions, but if not and you fly business and or are group 1 or 2 they should not challenge the bags.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by orbitmic
OP's experience seems to be unpleasant (I assume that when you say "regular" carry on, you mean that it fits the BA allowed dimensions), and I much prefer gate staff to try and ask for volunteers. That said, for what it's worth, not trying to be a moral police here, but personally, I'm always left puzzled and a bit uneasy with FTers' tendency to refer to various airline personnel in lounges, check points, etc as "dragons". Some are nice, some are not, but I find the term rather gratuitously disparaging. It's just a normal job and most of them try to do it well.
By 'regular', I mean the carry on I've used on a couple hundred BA segments in various classes in both long haul and short haul. it's a 'normal' bag, a 3 day carry-on basically. Nothing extortionate like you see on US domestic flights for example. Never been challenged on the bag size before.

On the dragon piece, I hear your feedback. These people did not seem like 'dragons', I was reusing the lounge term as that was in my mind as I was writing the post when thinking about the experience. These people certainly did not show the best of BA. They are not representative of the majority.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
@HIDDY

Perhaps you should calibrate your volume of posting as much as you fly. Then you're not wrangling though these weird scenarios in your mind unnecessarily and feeling like genuine traveller issues are edge cases that you must provide your theoretical perspective on.
HIDDY and rossmacd like this.

Last edited by bullroot; Mar 4, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is that because it is a bit too big?
No way it was just that my yellow "flyertalker" tag got in the way I did get it in the sizer and out but jet lag is real.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bullroot
@HIDDY

Perhaps you should calibrate your volume of posting as much as you fly. Then you're not wrangling though these weird scenarios in your mind unnecessarily and feeling like genuine traveller issues are edge cases that you must provide your theoretical perspective on.
I only asked why you found it to be ''weird''.

Ground staff are only human so can be excused if in your eyes they did something weird. Anyway....my wife's carry on always ends up bigger after connecting off a long haul flight due to all the bits and bobs she's gathered along the way. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it exceeded the size limit for the next flight. I shall be warning her about it.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

just don't let her use any zip expanders. that way the bag is the same size. the stuff in it, maybe not so much!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Amended it for you

There was no need really. If it isn't the required size for cabin baggage then it's not cabin baggage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.