Connection dragons??

Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by abligh
Reminds me of an LCY->EDI flight where they were labelling bags with yellow tags to go under the seat in front. A gate agent came up, who to my annoyance had skipped past the large number of suit-wearing bankers. First I showed her my boarding pass (which she ignored) and said "no thank you". She proceeded to tell me I must take a yellow tag. Then I pointed out the boarding pass again and she said being in business made no difference. I pointed again and and she said no, being gold made no difference. I pointed again and finally it dawned on her I was in row 1 and there wasn't actually a seat in front to put the bag under.
It happens all the time - I find it's easier just to take the yellow tag and pop the bag up top anyways when on board.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Leaving aside the terminology point an earlier poster made (and I've never once had a Lounge Agent be anything but polite), I do think there is something to the OPs point. Before I was able to use Fast Track I frequently ran into this in the INT-INT transfers at T5. Once I had a legal cabin bag that BA had carried on one 777 and would have amply fit on the next one taken from me and checked through (didn't seem worth arguing the point). On every other occasion the staff in the connections area were surly and rude.

I get that they have thousands of people funneling through, many of whom don't speak English well or even at all, so it has to be a trying job, but I always thought it left the worst possible impression of the UK on transfer passengers. I'm pretty sure some of the worst were employed by the airport, not the airline, but most passengers would not make the distinction.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It happens all the time - I find it's easier just to take the yellow tag and pop the bag up top anyways when on board.
yellow tags I think are a “nudge” for passengers - when cabin crew try and clear the overhead space by removing small items I’ve never seen them ignore untagged items
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
We have had this experience too when they targeted us for "oversized carry on bags". Bags that met all the carry on criteria size and weight. This is always when making connections. Explaining we were in business did end the struggle. Other times when only in WT+ they forced me to "use the sizer". Fine I did but it is a struggle to get the bag in and out of that thing. So annoying especially when the flight is not very full. I wonder sometimes these staffers are just targeting tired looking LH connection people for sport.

When you have taken all your valuables and medications and put them in the carry on as suggested, this is a risk. It is not nice to have to check valuables and meds after a long haul. Especially frustrating as the OP stated transferring to a similar sized large plane. I could understand if it were a small regional jet or prop. Somehow a 777 doesn't seem to qualify.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Amended it for you
Originally Posted by Sealink
Me too! Assumptions annoy me greatly. I dont think Group 1 should ever have to check in cabin baggage at the gate as long as it fits within the permitted hand luggage dimensions
ijkh, IAMORGAN, Sealink and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Similar thing happened to me on check in at Prg last week. En route Melb (again) via Lhr Sin Syd up the front (GUF again).Really did not want to check anything in if possible as its always a PITA waiting for luggage amongst the hoards at Sydney. Normal BA approved size carry on was Ok (although bulging a bit) but my other 'laptop allowable' bag may have been a little bit oversize as it was full of fishing tackle (including a pair of waders - size 9) rather than a laptop or other more commonly found personal items:
'Your bags will need checking Sir as at least one appears to be oversize' (i.e bulging).
'Granted ones a bit (read very) full... yes ...but oversize? ...well not by much for such a long journey ...surely?'
Remarks were met by a blank stare and what sounded like an echo - 'You will need to check them Sir!
Remembering previous Sydney kafuffles, I start to panic and, after briefly considering putting on said waders to board, thereby slimming down bag 2 I tried the old DYKWIA excuse 'Well actually I am Gold and in F etc (out of charachter for me and said embarassingly whilst looking at my feet).
'Your status and class of travel do not make any difference Sir, one will need to be checked later at the gate'
'OK I'll take my chance at the gate'.
BP's issued. Thankyou very much. Concorde room here I come!
Fast forward 30 mins - I am now at the gate and about to board........Doh.....guess who one of the 2 gate agents is ? Ha ha ...yes the same lady from check in ....now on the lookout for yours truly. Luckily for me there was a bit of a boarding scrum and lane 2 opened up just as I was approaching her (2 pax back) in lane 1, and all 3 of us (my 2 carry on bags) and I made it on board without further ado! Fast forward about 30 hrs or so and I was out of Sydney within 25 mins of landing for the connection .Checked both bags with QF as no problems getting them back quickly at Melbourne.Get to play the exact same game / route / ticket in 7 weeks time although theres no fishing tackle or waders planned for next time!

OF
I
VSLover and beachmouse like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Wouldn't it be nice if BA did away with HBO fares and made everyone pay for a (proper) carry on (ŕ la FR and U2)? With the exception of status pax, of course.

Would neuter the roaming dragons, and make everyone's travelling life so much more tranquil and predictable.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Reminds me of an LCY->EDI flight where they were labelling bags with yellow tags to go under the seat in front. [...] I pointed again and finally it dawned on her I was in row 1 and there wasn't actually a seat in front to put the bag under.
"Welcome on board" - "Hi, can I just put my bag under the captain's seat?"
abligh and flying4workNfun like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ijkh
Other times when only in WT+ they forced me to "use the sizer". Fine I did but it is a struggle to get the bag in and out of that thing.
Is that because it is a bit too big?
adrianlondon and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by orbitmic
OP's experience seems to be unpleasant (I assume that when you say "regular" carry on, you mean that it fits the BA allowed dimensions), and I much prefer gate staff to try and ask for volunteers. That said, for what it's worth, not trying to be a moral police here, but personally, I'm always left puzzled and a bit uneasy with FTers' tendency to refer to various airline personnel in lounges, check points, etc as "dragons". Some are nice, some are not, but I find the term rather gratuitously disparaging. It's just a normal job and most of them try to do it well.
Rest assured some of the the names they have for us passengers make the term "Dragons" appear very tame......
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I have some sympathy with the gate agents.
Day after day, they have to cope with people who are trying to work the system by taking on oversized bags.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I've not experienced this (yet) but is it generally ok to decline if you are asked to check in your carry on? I.e. can they force you to put it in the hold?

As a sports photographer I usually carry some pretty expensive cameras and lenses on me, so the last thing I'd want is for it to be chucked into the hold!

Last edited by Paren; Mar 3, 2019 at 3:59 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC
If you do have expensive kit in your hand carry before you hand it over ask the airline to warrant that they will withstand any loss you suffer from the damage of the expensive kit. That will usually focus their mind a little.
LTN Phobia and Paren like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
She proceeded to tell me I must take a yellow tag. Then I pointed out the boarding pass again and she said being in business made no difference.
We had this in the baggage check-in line, tried to give us a yellow tag for carry-on even though we were in long haul CW - tried to explain that there was no under-seat storage but it was easier just to take the tag.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Rest assured some of the the names they have for us passengers make the term "Dragons" appear very tame......
Even if that is the case, two wrongs would not make a right...
LTN Phobia likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.