Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 security compliant multitool

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
T5 security compliant multitool

I’ve lost several Leathermen and pocket knives to eagle eyed security folks at European airports. I’d like to get a multitool which - if I accidentally take it to the airport *again* - might actually be allowed on board. I’m going to post the names of some products that look ok to me and have TSA approval, but will that cut the mustard at T5 and other European airports?

Zooltility tools wildcard

SOG PowerLock Traveler

Gerber Dime

Leatherman Style PS

I’ve not posted links as they will no doubt have embedded affiliate codes in them - I found them here https://everydaycarry.com/posts/1836...ols-for-travel
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by memesweeper
but will that cut the mustard?
No idea which multitool is most suited to condiment slicing; surely the in-flight dining knife would suffice?
JAXBA and mrvincent like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by memesweeper
I’ve lost several Leathermen and pocket knives to eagle eyed security folks at European airports. I’d like to get a multitool which - if I accidentally take it to the airport *again* - might actually be allowed on board. I’m going to post the names of some products that look ok to me and have TSA approval, but will that cut the mustard at T5 and other European airports?

Zooltility tools wildcard

SOG PowerLock Traveler

Gerber Dime

Leatherman Style PS

I’ve not posted links as they will no doubt have embedded affiliate codes in them - I found them here https://everydaycarry.com/posts/1836...ols-for-travel

EU rules state that knives with blades of more than 6 cm are not permitted through airport security within the EU.

You will find more information on what is and is not permitted in your hand luggage (when passing through EU airports) here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Victorinox SwissCard is a good choice for travel as it's cheap (and available as branded promo item) and you can ditch the knife if an official thinks its blade is more than 6cm and if necessary complement with a small folding pliers tool.
T8191 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:10 am

I had to abandon screwdrivers that are less then 6cm in length, even as those should be permitted per the rules eg. Heathrow has on its websute. While it has not been an issue in the US or mainland Europe, UK in general always has been difficult (at the airport plaquard it just says tools like screwdrivers with no spec on length and that's what they point at). I gave up eventually keeping those as carry-on.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by UKTony
Victorinox SwissCard is a good choice for travel as it's cheap (and available as branded promo item) and you can ditch the knife if an official thinks its blade is more than 6cm and if necessary complement with a small folding pliers tool.
good tip - that looks ideal - useful for the pocket and I won’t be gutted if it does get confiscated!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Qatar Privilege Silver, Club Accor Platinum, IHG Gold
Tools with a shaft length under 6cm are allowed in carry on baggage, however screw drivers of any size are not allowed, nor are pliers. As most multitools contain a screwdriver, and/or pliers they will be disallowed when detected
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
I purchased my Swiss army knife at the victorinox store *after security* in Geneva airport a few years ago. I may be wrong but if it is being sold after security I'd assume you could take one through.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ChrL
I may be wrong but if it is being sold after security I'd assume you could take one through.
Like those bottles of water?

Palmer
orbitmic and Takiteasy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ChrL
I purchased my Swiss army knife at the victorinox store *after security* in Geneva airport a few years ago. I may be wrong but if it is being sold after security I'd assume you could take one through.
I've read complaints here on expat forums (I live in Switzerland) about people buying penknives at the airport, after security, and then having them confiscated as they change flights in FRA or LHR. The rules aren't consistent. It's stupid.

Originally Posted by Palmer
Like those bottles of water?
Not the same. Airlines/airports aren't afraid of water, they're afraid (rightly or wrongly) what the liquid could be that's pretending to be water.
memesweeper likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jctech
Tools with a shaft length under 6cm are allowed in carry on baggage, however screw drivers of any size are not allowed, nor are pliers. As most multitools contain a screwdriver, and/or pliers they will be disallowed when detected
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum jctech. It's good to see you here, and I hope we will see more of you in the future. Your post aligns with my understanding, which is actually as UK government / DfT restriction. Looking through the list, the following are banned in carry on:

Tool with a blade or shaft longer than 6cm (for example chisel)
Drill and drill bits
Stanley knife
Saw (including portable power saw)
Screwdriver
Hammer
Pliers
Wrench or spanner
Bolt gun or nail gun
Crowbar
Blowtorch
jctech likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Sometimes it's just who you get at security.
My bottle opener with a small 4-5cm blade that I picked up from a Puerto Rico tourist shop years ago, got taken off me at LAX a few months ago. It had been through the same airport and others worldwide numerous times without an issue.

Same with 50ml travel sized spray on deodorant at San Juan's airport. Confiscated twice as "flammable" yet no issues anywhere else in the world.

MAN for example has occasions where bikes go through the x-ray fine. Next time, someone different on the desks requires the same bike to be stripped down completely and x-rayed elsewhere.
Umbrellas may get through one day. The next they're dangerous weapons as they have a plastic rounded point.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
the following are banned in carry on:
Screwdriver
Pliers
Wrench or spanner
I assume some of the items from the list (those I've left from CWS's post) are on there despite not being 'blades' because they could be used to help remove panels on the aircraft, for example in lavatories or around CW seats, in order for something unwanted to be hidden behind the panel, before replacing the screws/bolts etc. Same reason there are 'security seal' stickers on such panels on some aircraft to show if they have been tampered with.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Umbrellas may get through one day. The next they're dangerous weapons as they have a plastic rounded point.
Or a hard wooden tip with a pointed metal cap! I think they enforce rules generally to prevent endless arguments at the security check about what is or is not allowed. The scanners are able to detect an “edge” on a metal object as I once had a confusing search of my hand baggage that contained a kitchen blender with four blades each about a centimetre long. The confusion about the search was because the security man could not find any blades yet the scanner was telling him they were there.

All was well and I went on to make nice soups later.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm afraid trying to find the exact edges of the rules of airport security policy is a bit futile - anything close to the edges will probably get through sometimes and get refused other times.

Apart from what constitutes a sharp object, there have been long discussions here and elsewhere about what exactly constitutes a "gel" with test cases of frozen ice cream, marmite, various hardnesses of cheeses, wax candles, various fruits, etc. In all cases such items are sometimes allowed and sometimes not, even at the same airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.