Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IntraEurope Business Class no seat choice available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Hi,

I'll fly BA0771 Stockholm to London on 6/25 but the online seat map is weird:
> it shows business as the first 10 rows (a lot of people must have booked this flights so they must have extended the section
> NO seat is available to choose all are taken (and 1st row blocked or taken
As I'm traveling in a party of 3 it is weird that everyone else on the flight paid money (or is gold) and reserved a seat (as the free seats must be in row 1)

Can someone look in another system (Expertflyer/...) or might have some other insights why this flight sold 40 business seats already and why everyone already chose a seat
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
1C is unoccupied. 10AC and 10DF are blocked.

It could just be a big group who are all entitled to free pre-allocation for one reason or another. There are reasons other than status and payment.

I don't know the maximum size of CE on a 319, but this flight could be a candidate for an aircraft swap if the CE cabin can't be increased any further.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by blitzen
Hi,

I'll fly BA0771 Stockholm to London on 6/25 but the online seat map is weird:
> it shows business as the first 10 rows (a lot of people must have booked this flights so they must have extended the section
> NO seat is available to choose all are taken (and 1st row blocked or taken
As I'm traveling in a party of 3 it is weird that everyone else on the flight paid money (or is gold) and reserved a seat (as the free seats must be in row 1)

Can someone look in another system (Expertflyer/...) or might have some other insights why this flight sold 40 business seats already and why everyone already chose a seat
It’s showing on Expertflyer as no availability in club (all fare buckets zero) and most seats occupied. Only 1C and all of row 10 are unoccupied but showing as blocked.

Edited to add: the next flight is also all zeroed out in business.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Thanks!
So I'm paying business (with avios) and fly in row 10 .... the problem with this is that after the plane arrives at 9:30 I have to get to my connecting flight at 10:45
- row 10 is not all the way in the back but takes longer than row 2 to get out and then more people in front
- hand luggage only
- one ticket
- T5 to T5
- business/first
- but probably secondary security
- pre-check (doesn't make a difference I think)
1:15h should be doable but somehow I always feel uneasy with "short" connections .....
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:50 am

1:15h should be doable but somehow I always feel uneasy with "short" connections .....
No problem, provided your original flight is close-to-on-time. Thousands of people make this type of connection every day of the week.

Another post from me that the MCT for T5-T5 should be reduced from 60mins to ideally 45mins, especially DOM-INT
blitzen likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Thanks!
So I'm paying business (with avios) and fly in row 10 .... the problem with this is that after the plane arrives at 9:30 I have to get to my connecting flight at 10:45
- row 10 is not all the way in the back but takes longer than row 2 to get out and then more people in front
- hand luggage only
- one ticket
- T5 to T5
- business/first
- but probably secondary security
- pre-check (doesn't make a difference I think)
Ummm... I don't think buying a business class ticket guarantees you a "specific" row just because you chose to book a short connection...

Regards
Britflyer18 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:58 am

So row 10 will take you what, an extra 2 minutes to get off?

You are paying business and getting business. I don't see the issue here.
Britflyer18 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... I don't think buying a business class ticket guarantees you a "specific" row just because you chose to book a short connection...

Regards
but the business section is usually the first 3,4,5 rows and not half the plane
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AS

Just depends how many seats are "sold" as J. The model BA has chosen allows them to add rows as needed. Seats are just coach seats with middle seat blocked. I agree that paying for seat selection is stupid, IMHO.
blitzen likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

To be fair, whilst uncommon on the flights that I have taken , there are regular reports of business/CE going way back in the cabin ( probably half the plane or slighty more) depending on destination/time of year/day and special events taking place.

Regards

TBS
orbitmic and Lefly like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:14 am

I'm afraid you are mistaken then.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm afraid you are mistaken then.
Care to offer any information or evidence? Or are you using the Trump method > I posted it online so it must be true ... don't bother me with facts

Show me 2 examples of short intra europe routes (A319 or similar) 4-5 month into the future that have 10 rows or more of business?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
FWIW the first two rows of Economy on that flight are also blocked so the curtain might be shifted though it won’t help in deplaning. Are you on one through ticket or on 2 separate ones?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:49 am

I'm crew on short haul out of Heathrow. If you're not happy accepting the wisdom of the regular passengers on this board, then I can assure you that I work plenty of flights with 10 or more rows of business class. Remember. this is a completely different model to a domestic US first class.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Righty-ho, a handful of points:-

1) One day the flight could arrive at 9:27, another day at 9:31. One day, it could arrive at a bus stand, or a domestic gate where everyone has to get off down the steps at the back, or a B or C gate. Where you sit on the aircraft in terms of disembarking is very small beans and not worth worrying about. I think Row 10 on the 319 is the exit row (it used to be row 9, but after further densification I guess it could have changed again) but if not then Row 10 and Club is probably second only to row 1.

2) I do totally understand that you don’t expect / it is unusual to be stuck in row 10 a few months out. Yes, lots of Euro flights go out with 7 or more rows of Club every day, but it’s normally possible to bag a seat further forward when booking in advance - so I do understand the OP’s surprise & frustration - but I want to reassure them too that it is very unlikely to matter,

3) Seating can change A LOT in the period between now & your flight. Maybe create a few seat alerts on Expertflyer or keep checking back.

4) I hope above doesn’t come across as a lecture! What I know is that I have things that others may think are trivial which bug me, and being told ‘don’t worry’ doesn’t always help. Ultimately, though, it looks like you booked the 1 flight ever where all seats are pre-booked this far out. A hazard of being a frequent flier is sometimes we run into the unexpected! But, honestly, enjoy row 10 if you do end up in it (and I’d wager you’ll have the chance to change) and just overtake everyone once off the plane...or stand up as soon as the Thames comes into sight on approach, yelling “I HAVE A CONNECTION” and rush to the front of the cabin, grabbing your 3 carryons from Row 2 as you do ;-)
littlefish and blitzen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.