Soft Landing

Old Mar 1, 19, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba silver
Soft Landing

I'm currently BA Gold and unlikely to get more than 100 TPs this points year. Will I get a soft landing (ie BA silver next year) ?
Thanks
Old Mar 1, 19, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geek184 View Post
I'm currently BA Gold and unlikely to get more than 100 TPs this points year. Will I get a soft landing (ie BA silver next year) ?
Thanks
yes. You would soft land to silver even if you credited no flights to your BAEC account this year.
Old Mar 1, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
You would not get a soft landing to silver if your gold card had been gifted to you by a GGL member.
Old Mar 1, 19, 7:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
You would not get a soft landing to silver if your gold card had been gifted to you by a GGL member.
i think soft landings also happen for partner cards. There was a “scare” a year or two ago that partner cards didn’t soft land but I think there were subsequent reports that soft landings still happened.
Old Mar 1, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

i think soft landings also happen for partner cards. There was a “scare” a year or two ago that partner cards didn’t soft land but I think there were subsequent reports that soft landings still happened.
Thanks for that. It makes the GGL partner cards even more useful.
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold, Virgin Gold,
I can confirm that it is definitely the case that there is a soft landing for partner cards. I was waiting until my wife's gold card had expired before renewing (thanks to the good advice received on FT regarding timing of partner cards, for which many thanks!) and sure around the time of the end of her points year a silver card duly arrived.
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
All of my partner cards have soft landed every year for the last 7 years. I love FT for keeping rumours running
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
I think it most amusing that this is sufficiently worrying to excite the OP to make a second post in 8 year's membership of FT - and that they now show the status of BA Silver in anticipation

... although I really suspect it never changed on the way up!!
Old Mar 1, 19, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

Did anyone seriously think that BA's IT team would be able to implement such a thing?
Old Mar 1, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by geek184 View Post
Thanks
Even if you don't fly BA, the year after next year you'll get a soft landing to BA Bronze. It's one level down per year.
Old Mar 1, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
IMO the soft landing is BAEC's most generous feature and the one most would miss if it was ever to be enhanced.
mrow likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Yes. Soft landing is a clever feature. I just did so. As BA Silver & OWS, now, it keeps OneWorld a higher option for my less frequent travels and hence I will retain a handful of BA flights this year.
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Is this 100% Certain?

Currently BA Gold, but my TP collection year just ended on 8 June 2019, with only 45 TPs collected in that year (due to a lot of Avios redemptions), and my Gold status due to expire on 31 July 2019.

Is this soft landing to Silver guaranteed? Currently planning my Christmas/Easter flights and Star Alliance are a bit cheaper for both but I would happily book oneworld if I know I have the OW Sapphire benefits, especially as I have enough sectors to probably requalify for Silver again before 8 June 2020 if I stick to oneworld sectors for the next 12 months.

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK View Post
Currently BA Gold, but my TP collection year just ended on 8 June 2019, with only 45 TPs collected in that year (due to a lot of Avios redemptions), and my Gold status due to expire on 31 July 2019.

Is this soft landing to Silver guaranteed? Currently planning my Christmas/Easter flights and Star Alliance are a bit cheaper for both but I would happily book oneworld if I know I have the OW Sapphire benefits, especially as I have enough sectors to probably requalify for Silver again before 8 June 2020 if I stick to oneworld sectors for the next 12 months.

Thanks!
Yee, absolutely guaranteed.
Old Jun 13, 19, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HarryKUK View Post
Is this soft landing to Silver guaranteed?
If you earned your Gold by actual flying, then yes.

There are sometimes reports that Gold partner cards gifted to individuals don't soft land, but IIRC they too are supposed to.
HarryKUK likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: