Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag drop at T5 for T3 departure?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Bag drop at T5 for T3 departure?

I’m flying from DUB-LHR-CPT on separate tickets today in J/F. They wouldn’t check our bags through at DUB so I’ll have to collect them in T5. Can I go back upstairs and check them in or do I have to drag them over to T3 in the tube?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

You will not be able to check them in at t5 for a t3 flight sorry

Regards

Tbs
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Why did they not through check the bags?

You will have to go fully landside, then take the bags yourself to T3; and best to use HEX rather than the tube, the HEX station at the T3 end is better placed than the tube. But once you have got to baggage reclaim there is no going back. Because DUB flights get a fast track from gate 23 (or thereabouts) to baggage reclaim, no passport control, that aspect won't delay you so much, compared to the airside route. It's just another check-in.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
On separate tickets BA simply won't check them through - as you have found.

And yes you'll need to take the landside route after collecting your bags at T5 to T3.

https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...ween-terminals
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Why did they not through check the bags?
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I’m flying from DUB-LHR-CPT on separate tickets today in J/F. They wouldn’t check our bags through at DUB so I’ll have to collect them in T5. Can I go back upstairs and check them in or do I have to drag them over to T3 in the tube?
Bit of a strange ticket as you would have thiught a single DUB-LHR-CPT ticket would have been cheaper than a DUB-LHR and a separate LHR-CPT though maybe it was one of the sales where ex UK was cheaper than an ex-EU (like my trip to SFO in July ex LON was cheaper than even ex INV)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Bit of a strange ticket as you would have thiught a single DUB-LHR-CPT ticket would have been cheaper than a DUB-LHR and a separate LHR-CPT though maybe it was one of the sales where ex UK was cheaper than an ex-EU (like my trip to SFO in July ex LON was cheaper than even ex INV)
Well that's why I didn't spot the word "separate", since usually one reason to be flying BA from DUB would be the through fares. But presumably the OP, who is active in this forum, was aware of this and the baggage issue?
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Yeah I knew there was a chance they wouldn’t thru check them on separate tickets. I just chanced it. It was over €500 on separate tickets during the ex UK sale. HEX it is, thanks guys
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Am doing an AMS LHR CPT trip later in the month with a LHR AMS near B2B trip for the positioning.

Obviously T5 to AMS and I was assuming we can check in our bags for CPT the morning of both flights.

However, this thread suggests that we might have to check in the bags at T3 and then head to T5 for the positioning flight. Is that correct? if so, roughly how long should we allow from bag drop at T3 to check in at T5?

Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
However, this thread suggests that we might have to check in the bags at T3 and then head to T5 for the positioning flight. Is that correct? if so, roughly how long should we allow from bag drop at T3 to check in at T5?
Correct, you would need to check in the bags in T3 not T5, and you also need a plan B just in case the computer says no to checking in the bag before the AMS-LHR leg (rare to happen, but it could).

You can do the move from T3 to T5 in under 10 minutes if you dovetail it with the HEX timetable (which is available on line). But 30 minutes should cover it from check in at T3 to T5 departures / security.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no ‘might’ about it if you want to check your bags for just the LHR-CPT leg then you will have to check them in at T3 then head for T5

I’d allow at least 90 minutes which allows for the BA conformance deadline at T5 of entering security no later than 35 minutes before departure of your flight to AMS
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:28 am

Bags for T3 can be checked in at the Sofitel T5, but there is a relatively early check-in deadline.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only if you are staying there and they only check you in and tag the bags. You still have to take them to the terminal yourself.

though depending on location airportr could be an option that would save having to schlep from T3 to T5
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct, you would need to check in the bags in T3 not T5, and you also need a plan B just in case the computer says no to checking in the bag before the AMS-LHR leg (rare to happen, but it could).

You can do the move from T3 to T5 in under 10 minutes if you dovetail it with the HEX timetable (which is available on line). But 30 minutes should cover it from check in at T3 to T5 departures / security.
Thanks C-W-S. Plan B: Luckily my wife is travelling in J to AMS (to get the TPs) so will be able to take both bags and as we allowed nearly three hours turnaround at AMS, there should be enough time. Plan C will be to leave them at the T3 left luggage and collect them whilst in transit.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:11 am

You are aware that 3 hours in AMS is much more risky than a true B2B?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Bags for T3 can be checked in at the Sofitel T5, but there is a relatively early check-in deadline.
That's interestiing - I was going to ask whether the new Sofitel check-on would take bags for T3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.