Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SEA-LHR in WT+, did not pay for seats, am I doomed? Advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-LHR in WT+, did not pay for seats, am I doomed? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by joejet
you used to be able to remove your ba number then re-add another one world airline on finnair.com i think it still works.

if you were aa platinum anyway you should have got free seats from the time of booking.......
Thanks for the Finnair idea - I'll try that. I misspoke when I said I was AA Plat - I'm Gold now, should make Plat on the outbound and Plat+ on the return if I did the math right. So maybe I'll be able to make all this nonsense easier on the return - I didn't realize AA plat got free seat selection on BA. I was only hoping it would get me some better lounge access options.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by huge
Woohoo! No I didn't get upgraded, but they stuck me in 33K (window) without me even having to ask for it. Presumably they unblocked it exactly at T-24H & slammed me into it. I'm surprised they didn't stick me in 33F or 35F (which still shows open in EF) since I'm the lowliest no-BAEC-status cheapest refused-to-pay-$63-for-seat mongrel around, but I'll take it. Interestingly, EF still shows 33A as the only blocked seat.

I checked in without printing or downloading a BP just because that was my plan. Is there any reason to continue not downloading/printing, maybe in terms of that 0.0001% chance of an upgrade? I'm guessing it doesn't matter.

Also I didn't check in for my 2nd flight (LHR-AGP) because I read in another thread that that might cause BA.com to mess the bed at OLCI. I assume I can just go back through the checkin process again now for both flights and maybe get a free seat on that flight?

Thanks to all of you who replied & helped a poor BA noob (I think it's been over 20 years since I've flown on BA)
Printing / downloading your BP won't impact your chances of opup; it only limits changing a seat before the flight. (useful if you are still considering 35F).
I would encourage checking in for the final leg too: you have several hours advantage over pax flying direct or connecting from a less remote locations (better seats availability).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:11 pm

aa gold or oneworld ruby should have given you free seats 7 days out glad you got a good window though.

Happy Flightings

I would not print, as you can keep going in and checking.... maybe it’s just me being a) obsessed and b) curious to make sure i got the best seat possible.
huge likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by luitje
Reportedly the easiest way is to do it on Finnair site : Crediting BA flight to my AAdvantage account
you used to be able to remove your ba number then re-add another one world airline on finnair.com i think it still works.
Finnair.com worked like a charm, thanks.

Also I didn't check in for my 2nd flight (LHR-AGP) because I read in another thread that that might cause BA.com to mess the bed at OLCI. I assume I can just go back through the checkin process again now for both flights and maybe get a free seat on that flight?
It won't let me check in for the LHR-AGP segment (basically says "Sorry, you'll have to check in at the airport) but I'm not too worried because (a) it's 3hrs and (b) it's not very full. Maybe I'll check again 24hrs before that flight, or maybe I can do it by phone, or just not bother until I get to the airport.

Given that an upfrade to CW was an absurd miracle-dream, this is about the best outcome I could hope for. I guess I'm not clear on the pluses & minuses of the bulkhead on that 747, but I'm guessing that's the best seat in WT+ (don't disillusion me).

Thanks for the 20th time...
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
I guess I'm not clear on the pluses & minuses of the bulkhead on that 747, but I'm guessing that's the best seat in WT+
Tastes differ. I don't have experience flying WTP, but you might find this post entertaining - gives a thorough analysis of pros and cons of various seats in WTP: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30618102-post232.html
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Update, question, and re-thanking everyone.

First the question before this gets TL;DR...

aa gold or oneworld ruby should have given you free seats 7 days out glad you got a good window though.
Does Platinum Aadvantage give you free seat selection more than 7 days out? These last flights just got me to Platinum, but it still wants to charge me $63+ to reserve a seat for my return flights 10 days out, and right now they only show 3 seats available - 36EFG - and of course only 36G is non-middle. Does it take much time for my status change to propagate to BA, or do I have to call to get it upgraded? (or is Platinum still 7-days?

Now the update...

When I checked my bag at SEA they told me I could upgrade to CW for the *discounted* price of $743, I said no, planning to debate with myself about whether to do it (they said I could do it any time before boarding). The woman next to me at the counter was offered to upgrade to First for $800-something and she jumped at it. I went back and forth and ultimately decided against, largely because I expected to have a good seat in WT+ and figured I would take the flight and see how I felt and then (if offered) make a more informed decision on the return flight. I asked again at the gate, just in case they dropped the price. It was still available, no price drop, I said no again, strangely they did not say "Awww, you big goofball, we'll just upgrade you for free!"

Walking past CW on the way to my seat, I was certainly envious of the lie-flat beds, but I gotta say those seats looked crammed in tight, and I could understand the complaints I've read about the problem of the flight attendant having to lower the divider to interact with the non-aisle passenger. I'm not saying I would not have much rather been in CW, and I'm sure when you're lying flat and sleeping, crowding and dividers don't make much difference, but it reinforced my decision not to pay $743 (for $500 I would have done it, and still would). My only recent experience with Int'l business class was on Delta One SEA-HKG & PVG-SEA, and this did not seem to measure up - which was a little disappointing as I have thought of BA business as some great experience - maybe it's better on some other aircraft or maybe I was just misdirected.

My 33K seat was pretty good - I can understand the reservation about having less room for one's legs to stretch, but for me it was made up for by the ability to get out to the aisle even if my neighbor was sleeping. I would choose Row 33 again if possible. I got a little sleep in 30-45 minute bursts, and felt non-terrible on arrival. I think a middle seat in another row would have sucked pretty bad.

And the re-thanking... Thanks again for everyone's generous attention to my questions.
orbitmic, wrp96 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:35 am

AA Platinum gets free seat selection from time of booking, but yes the BA sustem won’t automatically recognise your status change mid-booking. Try logging into your booking on the Finnair.com manage booking tool, remove your AA number, exit, go into the booking again and re-enter your AA number.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
AA Platinum gets free seat selection from time of booking, but yes the BA sustem won’t automatically recognise your status change mid-booking. Try logging into your booking on the Finnair.com manage booking tool, remove your AA number, exit, go into the booking again and re-enter your AA number.

Or just ring up, once a BA agent sees that you are valued Sapphire member of oneworld then you simply get free seat selection from whenever. If you were AA Gold (Ruby) beforehand then you get seat selection at 7 days.

However OP: what is interesting is that 33K, being a bassinet seat, may not have fallen your way except for the twists and turns of your journey to that point: it's only made available at T-24, until then it's reserved for a traveller with a toddler. Now there is this gap between T-72 and T-24 when you may have been able to call up to get it. But given a very full cabin, when it came to OLCI, you found yourself in plum position for 33K simply because the computer had no other option. Now imagine another circumstance, you had selected 34A (a good overnight seat), you get to OLCI and think aha, I'd rather have my 33K, only to discover someone else who was hitherto unallocated has seized your huge special seat! Anyway you got the karma and all was good.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Finnair did let me remove and re-add my AAdvantage number, but it didn't change the "Pay $63 for a seat" result on BA.com. I'll try again a little later just in case that takes some time, but that seems unlikely. I guess I'll have to call. While I'm in Spain I can only make free WiFi calls to the USA, and the BA line is closed, so unless I can find a way to call for free to their Spain or UK numbers, I'll have to wait. In case it might work, I sent a DM to BA on Twitter with my relevant info - maybe they'll be able to do it..

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Or just ring up, once a BA agent sees that you are valued Sapphire member of oneworld then you simply get free seat selection from whenever. If you were AA Gold (Ruby) beforehand then you get seat selection at 7 days.

However OP: what is interesting is that 33K, being a bassinet seat, may not have fallen your way except for the twists and turns of your journey to that point: it's only made available at T-24, until then it's reserved for a traveller with a toddler. Now there is this gap between T-72 and T-24 when you may have been able to call up to get it. But given a very full cabin, when it came to OLCI, you found yourself in plum position for 33K simply because the computer had no other option. Now imagine another circumstance, you had selected 34A (a good overnight seat), you get to OLCI and think aha, I'd rather have my 33K, only to discover someone else who was hitherto unallocated has seized your huge special seat! Anyway you got the karma and all was good.
Yeah, as stated above, I'll have to call unless my Twitter gambit pays off.

And yeah I understand that it was a bit of a convoluted accident that I ended up in the bassinet seat. Assuming I can get the OneWorld Sapphire issue sorted and select an aisle seat, at T-72 I'll start checking to see if they unblock a seat I want, and/or I'll call to see if they can do anything for me. I'll think about 34A if it pops up - is there a reason you say 34A and not 34K? K is a little better for me for right-elbow-room

Thank you ad infinitum...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Yeah, as stated above, I'll have to call unless my Twitter gambit pays off...
BA Twitter DM got it done easily. Got 12C (2nd Exit Row) for BCN-LHR and 36G on LHR-SEA (only non-middle seat available), and I can clearly now switch for free if something else opens up
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
When I checked my bag at SEA they told me I could upgrade to CW for the *discounted* price of $743,
My general rule of thumb is a WT+ to CW upgrade is priced about $100/hr. Only you can know if that is good value to you or not. I often do it on an eastbound overnight flight, but not on the westbound day flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.