Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OTP to PHX inteneary - I class on LAX -JFK return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OTP to PHX inteneary - I class on LAX -JFK return

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question OTP to PHX inteneary - I class on LAX -JFK return

Trying to get I class seems to be exceedingly difficult on this routing. Has AA wised up and pulled I to stop these cheaper tickets being sold?. No I for days in mid July.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Perhaps all sold, but usually found on early or late flights.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unfortunately there isn’t much I class available on the transcon. Alternatives are book under the equivalent aa fare which I think allows D class too, or route to aviod the transcon.

Last edited by KARFA; Feb 28, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
AA is introducing A321Ts on the BOS-LAX transcontinental. Could you route that way?

AA doesn't seem to have any problems filling the J seats on these flights. I've taken evening JFK-LAXs a few times now (and as recently as last week) and the J cabin has been sold out each time from as much as 6 weeks out, and no less than 2 weeks out!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Smile

Originally Posted by KARFA
Unfortunately there isn’t much I class available on the transcon. Alternatives are book under the equivalent aa fare which I think allows D class too, or route to aviod the transcon.
Routed JFK - LAX - PHX inbound and PHX-JFK inbound to secure the fare at a slightly cheaper price.

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I'm afraid AA stopped allowing D class on I fares recently. it's either I or Y now.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I'm afraid AA stopped allowing D class on I fares recently. it's either I or Y now.
Thank. that’s a shame.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
In a recent search I found I class fares on AA heavily restricted on many routes, not just the transcon (where there are maybe a few I class seats per week), but also on routes like PHX-LHR where AA often blocks I class for weeks at a time. This included flights in May (just a few months away) where AA might have only 2-4 seats assigned thus far in business class (and unlike BA, non-status passengers in business class get seat assignments right away). I'm sure they've determined that they will sell these seats, but it was pretty surprising to see how restricted I class fares can be.

My solution ended up being quite convoluted in that there was a FinnAir codeshare for a flight on AA with I class for sale. Google Flights directed me to an Amadeus version of the AA website to issue an AA ticket. I ended up with at least 4 PNRs for a 4 segment itinerary (DUB-LHR-PHX-LHR-DUB, with 3 of 4 flights on BA), and to make a seat assignment on the AA flight sold as a FinnAir codeshare, I had to enter one of the BA PNRs on Qatar's manage my booking as neither BA, AA, or FI's websites would let me select a seat. It will be interesting if the planned OneWorld rollout later this year will solve issues like that.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've booked the OTP-PHX run with JFK-PHX both ways and I was hoping to route via LAX on the transcon one-way. But... I only have around a 12 hour turnaround in PHX so I'm not sure if it's feasible. Does anyone know whether they would allow this? My itinerary is:

LHR - JFK arriving 22:35 Friday 16th Aug
JFK - PHX departing 09:55 Saturday 17th Aug
PHX - JFK departing 23:30 Saturday 17th Aug
JFK-LHR departing 18:10 Sunday 18th Aug

I think the 07:00 departure JFK-LAX would work with MCTs etc, providing there's I class availability, but don't know whether AA agents are amenable to these changes when there's clearly no good reason other than TPs. Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ajm1987; Mar 1, 2019 at 7:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.