Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
If BA want to make the F cabin that bit more exclusive, then reducing redemptions would be the way to go. A full cabin doesn't come across as exclusive if say 4 people are paying, the other 4-12 redeeming Avios earned on credit cards etc.
It's a bit too much like AA where 35 people with SWUs or whatever stick themselves on an upgrade list and a near empty F cabin suddenly is full.
Not sure how BA's books work with regards to finances but cash sales may be treated as a pro over someone redeeming Avios.

Not sure what effect a 8 seat cabin would have on routes such as LAX, HKG, SIN and SYD (maybe Jo'berg as well?). Harder to find than hens' teeth most of the time for the average Joe, and they don't have too much difficulty in filling a cabin at present.

Not being able to redeem F wouldn't really put me off. CW works fine for me in most cases and availability there isn't too bad for a lot of routes I fly (even if I need a little flexibility date wise), with F being an occasional treat, but generally I would blow the Avios on CX, QF or JAL F rather than BA if I wanted a little more of a first class experience.
20-25k to upgrade from WT+ to CW is still an attractive proposition to a lot of us going from a recliner to a flat bed (especially with a well priced fare) with the cash portion earning TPs and Avios to offset the upgrade cost that you wouldn't get for a straight F redemption.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by xenole
If BA want to make the F cabin that bit more exclusive, then reducing redemptions would be the way to go. A full cabin doesn't come across as exclusive if say 4 people are paying, the other 4-12 redeeming Avios earned on credit cards etc.
Come on, this is absurd. Do you have a sixth sense that tells you how people paid for their flights? Or perhaps on boarding you survey your fellow passengers about their payment methods, to determine whether your flight is exclusive or not?
HMPS and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Come on, this is absurd. Do you have a sixth sense that tells you how people paid for their flights? Or perhaps on boarding you survey your fellow passengers about their payment methods, to determine whether your flight is exclusive or not?
BA do or at least use algorithms etc. to try and ascertain patterns.

I'm just assuming that BA would prefer those paying cold hard cash to those say get a 50k bonus for taking out a credit card etc. Not to say those earning Avios are any less worthy to fly F, but to me running a business, cash would be better on the books than a load of Avios that may have been sold/purchased at a discount.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by icegirl
In which case I suggest people should strongly consider changing jobs if their family or personal time mean anything to them.
Ah what a heavenly thought ! As if the majority living the life of quiet desperation could only do that. I do not know what you do but Utopia does not exist on earth. One has to make compromises, wiegh, balance priorities. It is VERY EASY to say get a job you like ! Even when you own a business or are a CEO of a public company you do not have the luxury of having EVERYTHING THEIR WAY ONLY .
Stez, T8191, angeloedades and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Someone who doesn't have impure thoughts while seated in F?
Wouldn't that disqualify ALL HUMANS ?
angeloedades likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by xenole
If BA want to make the F cabin that bit more exclusive, then reducing redemptions would be the way to go. A full cabin doesn't come across as exclusive if say 4 people are paying, the other 4-12 redeeming Avios earned on credit cards etc......
An interesting slant on the debate.

So a full cabin of <people you don't know> is less exclusive on the basis that <some of them> might have upgraded somehow? Are empty seats creating a more exclusive environment?

I agree with hearingdouble.
HMPS and hearingdouble like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Someone who doesn't have impure thoughts while seated in F?
Originally Posted by HMPS
Wouldn't that disqualify ALL HUMANS ?
i confess to an impure thought in J recently, but of course that doesn't count.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by HMPS
Ah what a heavenly thought ! As if the majority living the life of quiet desperation could only do that. I do not know what you do but Utopia does not exist on earth. One has to make compromises, wiegh, balance priorities. It is VERY EASY to say get a job you like ! Even when you own a business or are a CEO of a public company you do not have the luxury of having EVERYTHING THEIR WAY ONLY .
I agree there needs to balance on priorities but at the end of the day who is more important, your employer or family? For all the overtime put into to go above in beyond, does it pay off financially to make you happier or be able to take the time off in lieu or even both?

I remember someone recently sharing this through socials (I dont know the author to give credit)

You will never have this day with your children again.
Tomorrow they'll be a little older than they were today.
This day is a gift .
Just breath , notice, study their , faces and little feet. Pay attention.
Enjoy today, it will be over before you know it.
Interesting you bring up the concept of utopia, going by this forum alone isn't that what BA should really be striving for the world of commercial aviation?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by T8191
i confess to an impure thought in J recently, but of course that doesn't count.
Can't fly F, now J is impure, what am I to do ? Grow wings !
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by SaraJH
The snobbery is really rather incredible, I can think of more than enough people rich enough to travel first class on every long haul they take and who I’d certainly not wish to be sharing a small cabin with.

In fact I’d venture as far as to say that us great unwashed travelling on our Tesco earned avios and Amex 241 vouchers would probably not be noticeable at all, let alone bring the purity of the cabin down. We are experiencing an expensive product and would therefore behave accordingly since it’s a treat and not an everyday occurrence.
This has nothing to do with snobbery.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:36 am
Suspended

Perhaps a mini CW+ cabin at the front of CW for the avios aspirational and to break up the dormitory.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by T8191
An interesting slant on the debate.

So a full cabin of <people you don't know> is less exclusive on the basis that <some of them> might have upgraded somehow? Are empty seats creating a more exclusive environment?

I agree with hearingdouble.
Making it harder to get in makes things more exclusive to me. If you fill a cabin for the sake of filling a cabin, it's not exclusive in my book.
It's a similar thing to these member only golf and/or Gentleman's Clubs in say London, or even Singapore Airlines Private Club (or whatever it's called) . They're not open to all and sundry and they maintain that element of exclusivity which increases their desirability.

To me, even if full, the 8 seat cabin on the 787-9 feels far more exclusive than the cabin on a 747 or 777. Less people makes for a more intimate environment and you feel a little more "special" being part of it.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:57 am

deleted

Last edited by macabus; Mar 2, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@xenole ... Ah, I get you.

I have long since stopped worrying about being ‘special’, even in the days when I was. My ego doesn’t need that sort of ‘fluffing’. However, each to his own ... from my POV these days the flying is just a case of getting from A to B comfortably, and the hotel is generally just somewhere we want to be for practical reasons rather than ‘exclusivity’. My London Club subscriptions have long expired.
HMPS likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 2, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by SKRan
Cars - meh - what’s wrong with Uber?
I meant Airside at the airport. It seems like a big deal for many. I don't mind the walk myself, it is nice to not have to worry about getting to the gate on time, or getting their too early and having to stand around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.