New First Class

Old Mar 1, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Either there is some trolling going on or some really want a means tested First cabin...beyond having the avios or money to fly in the cabin.

FIrst even with avios is not cheap, am sure enough people save up for a long time towards that special trip e.g. wedding anniversary or other landmark holiday trip in First.

Ensuring people have something to aim for is one of the reasons for the avios scheme being so popular.
endoman, Stez, HMPS and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by RobDBA View Post

why do you care? If peopleís employers donít mind them using miles for leisure travel why do you? I donít think it would be humanly possible for anyone to accumulate enough Avios for a an F redemption from travel their employer wouldnít want them to be doing anyway. The number of people who fly considerably more than they have to on their employerís money must be incredibly small.
Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
Hello icegirl. I have to ask, why are you here? Not trying to be funny, but I would think that most people on this forum would like to have the option of redeeming their hard earned Avios for a trip in F, even if those opportunities were very few and far between - to help keep it exclusive, in the new BA World Order! But you appear to be saying that you think that F should absolutely be for paid tickets only. Why is that? That would seem somewhat contrary to the reason for being a member of an FF program. But maybe I'm misunderstanding and/or not appreciating your particular point of view.

rb211.

Purely because it dilutes the quality end product BA provides as the passengers are essentially not pure first class ones. Letís be clear here, this is NOT an ethical argument on a personís social class.
Old Mar 2, 19, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Purely because it dilutes the quality end product BA provides as the passengers are essentially not pure first class ones. Let’s be clear here, this is NOT an ethical argument on a person’s social class.
I remain confused ... perhaps that's my normal state?

How on earth do pax using any form of redemption/upgrade/whatever actually dilute the quality of the end product? The basic hard & soft product is already in place, and would be unaffected by whoever uses it.
Old Mar 2, 19, 3:26 am

Programs: BA silver
Sometimes I get the chance to fly in F using my Avios earned from my employer paid-for travel. Given that I'd fly UK-Australia 6-8 returns a year in economy, I think it's a well earned treat.

If that dilutes the cabin, then so be it, BA is happy to allow that and long it may continue.
endoman, Physci, T8191 and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
Purely because it dilutes the quality end product BA provides as the passengers are essentially not pure first class ones. Let’s be clear here, this is NOT an ethical argument on a person’s social class.
I’m not sure I follow the point you are making; what is a ‘pure first class’ passenger and how does not being a ‘pure first class’ passenger dilute the quality of the product?
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post

Iím not sure I follow the point you are making; what is a Ďpure first classí passenger and how does not being a Ďpure first classí passenger dilute the quality of the product?
It certainly comes across as....if you can't afford to pay for F, then you shouldn't be in it.

As the OP of the First in First thread, my Avios 2-4-1 booking to JFK was a special treat, I hope we didn't lower the tone too much 😋
T8191, alex67500, SaraJH and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:16 am

Purely because it dilutes the quality end product BA provides as the passengers are essentially not pure first class ones. Letís be clear here, this is NOT an ethical argument on a personís social class.
Let's be honest here, that's exactly what you're saying. I think it's quite obvious that the vast majority of this forum disagrees with you.

You're basically saying that if one does not have the disposable income to buy an F ticket, they should not be allowed to travel in that cabin by any other means because they are not "pure".

Very akin to "old money" looking down on "new money". Quite sad, really.
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I remain confused ... perhaps that's my normal state?

How on earth do pax using any form of redemption/upgrade/whatever actually dilute the quality of the end product? The basic hard & soft product is already in place, and would be unaffected by whoever uses it.
Indeed, and since I have paid for and redeemed in first class, did I dilute the product on one flight but not on the other?

Fortunately I didn't notice any difference in the quality of the service between the paid for and redeemed flights.
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:34 am
Suspended

Well that’s all fine if your all saying you are content with the current offering and system. BUT if you want say ‘champions league’ products and services then you will need to compromise and pay for it.

I can’t see why you are all coming down on me for this as I you read the OP’s opening post, he/she has quite clearly outlined the changes are coming from BA which I support in this matter.

I was sitting next to a senior chappie in BA at a City lunch and he mentioned that BA would be rolling out a new First offering and would only have 8 seats or suites.... I see Willie Walsh has just confirmed this message with the IAG results so feel I should reveal the other information I was told. Apparently the only way to get seat in the new First will be to buy a ticket. No points redemption flights, no rewards for spending too much on your credit cards and no Airmiles upgrades.
If I go back to an earlier most I made it all depends on your definition of "low rollers"? The proposed solution is to buy a cash ticket, now based on the above quote that doesn't include the mention sale or ex-EU fares if they are exempt, so there is not to say you may still pick up a bargain here or there. If they restrict the upcoming new first to routes such a JFK, LAX, SIN, SYD etc I am sure there is no shortage of spenders. It will also depend on the success of the upcoming new Club World seat and if it will suffice to the needs to premium spenders.
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:49 am

Well thatís all fine if your all saying you are content with the current offering and system. BUT if you want say Ďchampions leagueí products and services then you will need to compromise and pay for it.

I canít see why you are all coming down on me for this as I you read the OPís opening post, he/she has quite clearly outlined the changes are coming from BA which I support in this matter.

If I go back to an earlier most I made it all depends on your definition of "low rollers"? The proposed solution is to buy a cash ticket, now based on the above quote that doesn't include the mention sale or ex-EU fares if they are exempt, so there is not to say you may still pick up a bargain here or there. If they restrict the upcoming new first to routes such a JFK, LAX, SIN, SYD etc I am sure there is no shortage of spenders. It will also depend on the success of the upcoming new Club World seat and if it will suffice to the needs to premium spenders.
He's not outlined any changes though, he's outlined what he was told by somebody he'd met somewhere who apparently worked for BA. It's speculation and rumour, nothing has been substantiated.

​​
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Tentative View Post
He's not outlined any changes though, he's outlined what he was told by somebody he'd met somewhere who apparently worked for BA. It's speculation and rumour, nothing has been substantiated.

​​
Well, whatever the future scenario, I'm sure BA will express the restrictions in a less confrontation manner than icegirl has achieved.
HMPS, SaraJH, aidy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tentative View Post
Point taken. We should bear in mind this was a city lunch was also attended by Willie Walsh. Perhaps the OP can give more detail as to who is lunch was hosted by and targeted and most importantly who this "chappie" was, such as his name role etc...
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:06 am

Programs: Have
Originally Posted by Nicolasteph17 View Post
To be honest the only reason BA have had to discount it to fill seats is because the current offering is frankly crap.

They can kid themselves all they wish about 8 seat cabins and exclusivity but when they actually employ exemplary crew on every flight not occasional ones, when they provide high standard food and beverage not the cheapest option, when they provide chauffeur service etc then people may consider paying it.

The only people who have devalued First are BA and if they really think people are going to pay £7k-12k to have anything other than perfection then they really are stupid. And under this senior management team running it they are incapable of providing that as all they know is cost cutting and budgets.
A senior crew on a CX AMS-HKG service told me that I was the only ticketed customer in F cabin, the rest are op-ups. She didnít mention anything else but I certainly had taken every priority at every single step of the service.
I guess she disliked the op-ups - extra workload for all. Redemption or cash - when you have a ticket in F the airline anticipates you boarding and planned ahead to serve you.
Stop overselling CW and bump the odd Tumi boy into F will social cleanse the F cabin if thatís what desired.
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:11 am

Programs: Have
Point taken. We should bear in mind this was a city lunch was also attended by Willie Walsh. Perhaps the OP can give more detail as to who is lunch was hosted by and targeted and most importantly who this "chappie" was, such as his name role etc...
Looks like you are either BA HR or internal audit who is looking for evidence that someone leaked internal information here.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SKRan View Post

Looks like you are either BA HR or internal audit who is looking for evidence that someone leaked internal information here.
LOL sorry to disappoint you but that I can assure you I am certainly not
mikeyfly likes this.

Last edited by icegirl; Mar 2, 19 at 5:21 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: