Search

Tax on UuA WTP to CW - OSL-LHR-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Tax on UuA WTP to CW - OSL-LHR-JFK

Hey guys,

I would like to travel to NYC in CW in April but cash prices are very high for that period. Planning on going from 19/04 to 23/04.
It is actually half price from OSL or ARN, so I'll probably fly from there.

In order to save money, I would like to book a ticket in WTP for my girlfriend and upgrade it with Avios to CW.
I've used the 24h cancellation window to book a ticket and cancel it a few minutes later in order to have an idea of how much it costs to upgrade the LHR-JFK and JFK-LHR legs in CW from WTP.
I wasn't able to do it online as I got an error message so I called up BA.
The person did the math over the phone.
First she said £654, then I told her it was a connecting flight from Oslo to London, so it can't be this high. She acknowledged and did the math again, it's now £48 + 48k Avios.

I wanted to know from your experience if her last calculation sounds correct. I'll book the real tickets soon and I don't want to end up paying significantly more than what I was quoted.

Here's the tax+fare breakdown, before upgrade :

Last edited by MaximeD; Feb 27, 2019 at 11:06 am Reason: Missing the travel date
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I would expect the additional taxes/fees/charges for upgrading WTP to CW on both outbound and inbound long haul flights should be around £60-100.

Rather than making bookings and cancelling you can check by just doing dummy revenue bookings on ba.com or itamatrix for WTP and CW and comparing the taxes/fees/charges between the two - you should be paying the difference for your UuA.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I would expect the additional taxes/fees/charges for upgrading WTP to CW on both outbound and inbound long haul flights should be around £60-100.

Rather than making bookings and cancelling you can check by just doing dummy revenue bookings on ba.com or itamatrix for WTP and CW and comparing the taxes/fees/charges between the two - you should be paying the difference for your UuA.
I did try to do a book and upgrade with Avios from OSL, but I got an error message. It’s very frustating that slighly more complicated trips result in BA.com throwing an error.

I’ll try with ITA Matrix next time, thanks for the advice!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaximeD

I did try to do a book and upgrade with Avios from OSL, but I got an error message. It’s very frustating that slighly more complicated trips result in BA.com throwing an error.

I’ll try with ITA Matrix next time, thanks for the advice!
dont bother trying to use the book and upgrade with avios page - it can often produce incorrect quotes for WTP->CW UuAs. Just do a normal cash booking quite for WTP and CW for the same flights. I know it will also shows CE for the short haul which you don’t want to upgrade but the taxes/fees/charges should still be pretty much correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.