FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Extended BA flight times due to conflict avoidance [Pakistan airspace closure] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1958401-extended-ba-flight-times-due-conflict-avoidance-pakistan-airspace-closure.html)

Starship73 Feb 27, 19 8:24 am

Extended BA flight times due to conflict avoidance [Pakistan airspace closure]

Captain just revealed we have a 14h 57min flight time on the BA12 tonight (SIN-LHR) - diverting 600 miles south to avoid India and Pakistan. Ouch! Longest flight by a BA A380?

Often1 Feb 27, 19 8:29 am

You are doing better than many others. Pakistan has closed its airspace. Many flights held or cancelled at departure point and others enroute have been diverted. Glad that you have the fuel and crew hours to continue your flight.

SKT-DK Feb 27, 19 8:43 am

I must admit that upon seeing the thread title I feared another compensation question - happily it was not the case.

You are indeed very lucky to make it to your destination as many other flights are either cancelled, diverted or have turned back. TG for one seem to have blanket cancelled almost all flights from Europe today.

Can I help you Feb 27, 19 8:48 am

Due to the extended flight times some flights will have a enroute stop required for fuel and a change of crew.

Airprox Feb 27, 19 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30827481)
Due to the extended flight times some flights will have a enroute stop required for fuel and a change of crew.

KUL stopping in ATH it seems, and BKK in OTP.

Can I help you Feb 27, 19 8:59 am

DEL in BUD.

flatlander Feb 27, 19 8:59 am

Asia via Athens is a blast from the past.

Will BA send the BOAC-retro livery aircraft on the BOAC-retro route?

For BKK, don't try the obvious reroute: Thai has cancelled all flights to Europe.

BA's strength in having Southern European airports with handling agreements where they can arrange landing and fuel at short notice is proving useful.

KeaneJohn Feb 27, 19 9:09 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 30827512)
Asia via Athens is a blast from the past.

Will BA send the BOAC-retro livery aircraft on the BOAC-retro route?

For BKK, don't try the obvious reroute: Thai has cancelled all flights to Europe.

BA's strength in having Southern European airports with handling agreements where they can arrange landing and fuel at short notice is proving useful.

Todays BA10 from BKK has a refuel in OTP due into LHR nearly 4 hours later. Some Asia bound flights taking limited cargo and virtually no hold baggage not a great situation but can’t be helped and a logistical nightmare. Good luck to all travelling.

Rubecula Feb 27, 19 9:17 am

I was on the BA12 which arrived this morning, 27 February, (early as it happens). Our flight passed from India to Pakistan but did not overfly any part of Kashmir. The current BA12 is showing an expected 90 minute delay. Suspect this does not mean a refuelling stop but an elongated path but will watch with interest. The BA16 from Sin is currently showing a 30 minute delay.

Lefly Feb 27, 19 9:20 am

I have a LHR-SIN on Friday. Am I right to suppose that if the airspace closure is lifted tomorrow there will be no effect on next days Asian flights, despite today forced stops and longer flight times?

OverTheHorizon Feb 27, 19 9:34 am

I currently have an LHR-KUL-BKK booked for Monday 18/3, with a 2-hour connection in KUL, so fingers crossed things have calmed down by then :(

Tobias-UK Feb 27, 19 9:56 am

Thai Airways have suspended all their flights to Europe.

Kgmm77 Feb 27, 19 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Lefly (Post 30827588)
I have a LHR-SIN on Friday. Am I right to suppose that if the airspace closure is lifted tomorrow there will be no effect on next days Asian flights, despite today forced stops and longer flight times?

I wouldn’t assume anything. Individual airlines take their own decisions based on threat analysis, whether airspace is formally closed or not (ref. Ukraine).

sunshinebob Feb 27, 19 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula (Post 30827579)
I was on the BA12 which arrived this morning, 27 February, (early as it happens). Our flight passed from India to Pakistan but did not overfly any part of Kashmir.

I too was on this flight , the captian did say it was a longer than usual duration but I never added it together. I slept for 7 hours and was oblivious to the detour.

Rubecula Feb 27, 19 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob (Post 30827760)
I too was on this flight , the captian did say it was a longer than usual duration but I never added it together. I slept for 7 hours and was oblivious to the detour.

I remember the captain saying that but I do not understand why as looking at the flight tracking websites I do not think we took a detour. Whatever, the flight arrived early.