Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Extended BA flight times due to conflict avoidance [Pakistan airspace closure]

Extended BA flight times due to conflict avoidance [Pakistan airspace closure]

Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GOLD
If this continues in the long term I wonder what effect it will have on the LHR-ISB flights due to start on 2nd June.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm very puzzled as to why the BA34 needs to stop in Athens given that the B787-9 is capable of 15+ hour flights with relative ease.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All depends. Some aircraft were through before the air space was closed. Those that did not are unlikely to go anywhere near the airspace. If this continues, it may cause service interruptions, e.g. the need to cancel a flight every few days in order to make up for additional staff and aircraft. Not worth speculating about until this plays out.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Geo772
I'm very puzzled as to why the BA34 needs to stop in Athens given that the B787-9 is capable of 15+ hour flights with relative ease.
Could it be to do with crew duty times? There are strict limits. As I understand it, the commander can extend this at their discretion up to a certain limit. Keep in mind that SIN has 4 flight deck crew whereas KUL has 3 IIRC, which might make a difference.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Geo772
One possibility is that it only has 3 flight crew who can't fly that long on their own, it exceeds allowable duty time. Positioning additional crew to Athens and doing a quick crew swap would allow the initial crew to carry on as passengers (or even remain in Athens) while the replacement crew has enough duty hours. There's also the issue of aircraft maximum weight. While a 787-9 may be capable of a 15 hour flight, it may not be capable of a 15 hour flight with the passenger, baggage and cargo load that BA34 typically carries.

Singapore flights have 4 flight crew, allowing more flying time within each person's allowable duty hours.

KUL seems particularly poorly positioned for this Pakistani airspace problem. A slightly northerly route from KUL-LHR goes over Pakistan, a slightly southerly one to avoid Pakistan crosses right over Crimea and that isn't a popular route either these days. So with both Crimea or Pakistan out of bounds, a rather longer flight is inevitable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by flatlander
While a 787-9 may be capable of a 15 hour flight, it may not be capable of a 15 hour flight with the passenger, baggage and cargo load that BA34 typically carries..
To add to that, while the plane may be capable of that flight length, typically only the amount of fuel needed for the planned flight plus some contingency is loaded. The fuel tanks will not be 100% full for most flights.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Indeed, for an airspace closure after the flight takes off, that is likely the limiting factor.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Could it be to do with crew duty times? There are strict limits. As I understand it, the commander can extend this at their discretion up to a certain limit. Keep in mind that SIN has 4 flight deck crew whereas KUL has 3 IIRC, which might make a difference.
I flew back from KUL a couple of weeks ago and it had 4 flight crew onboard. That flight was a little over 13 hours.

Interestingly on my way out to KUL the route had been over the middle east and central India. The route back was the more northerly route.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:05 pm

Departures from KUL are heavily weight restricted so taking the all the fuel required for the reroute would mean offloading baggage/cargo/passengers.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:18 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Todays BA10 from BKK has a refuel in OTP due into LHR nearly 4 hours later. Some Asia bound flights taking limited cargo and virtually no hold baggage not a great situation but can’t be helped and a logistical nightmare. Good luck to all travelling.
we did indeed stop at OTP for a refuel which took approx 1.5 hours. One poor PAC needed a doc on arrival at OTP but pleased to say he was OK. Crew were great. Food was OK. IFE was dire but nothing new there. 60 mph headwinds most of the way.
On the plus side our bags were first off and spinning on the carousel as we came down to them - obviously the baggage handlers were hoping for an early dart!
As an added bonus the LHR landing was a "greaser"...��

KeaneJohn and Keystone like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is this having a knock on effect everywhere? I'm due to fly on BA280 LAX-LHR tomorrow but is already showing a 3 hour delay!
lavajava likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
BA11 appears to be running on the regular flight time (apr. 13hrs).
https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW11/1fa427f1

BA12 is at 13.5hrs. They appear to have resolved the issue (fingers crossed)
https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW12/1fa396fc
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Mr P
Is this having a knock on effect everywhere? I'm due to fly on BA280 LAX-LHR tomorrow but is already showing a 3 hour delay!
Probably but I expect operations will do some juggling. As has been shown, delays 24 hours out have been wiped out with another aircraft but taking today’s BKK arrival at nearly 4 hours late the aircraft could have had alternative plans then before it was even back at LHR. Also take the 777 thst goes to Madrid and back when I’ve done that a Delhi-London menu has been in the WTP seat pocket and thst would have got to LHr a few hours before,

I guess it’s a case of watch this space but hope you are not affected too badly.
Mr P likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Beano HK

we did indeed stop at OTP for a refuel which took approx 1.5 hours. One poor PAC needed a doc on arrival at OTP but pleased to say he was OK. Crew were great. Food was OK. IFE was dire but nothing new there. 60 mph headwinds most of the way.
On the plus side our bags were first off and spinning on the carousel as we came down to them - obviously the baggage handlers were hoping for an early dart!
As an added bonus the LHR landing was a "greaser"...��

Not as bad as it could have been then. I guess people heading for Phoenix are lucky the issue isn’t thst way otherwise they could just off,lad you at OTP to save you having to fly to Heathrow and all the way back to OTP again.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Starship73
Captain just revealed we have a 14h 57min flight time on the BA12 tonight (SIN-LHR) - diverting 600 miles south to avoid India and Pakistan. Ouch! Longest flight by a BA A380?
BA12 just arrived. According to Captain flight time was indeed 14h 57min, block 15h 23min. Take-off weight was 559.1t (900kg below MTOW) with 217.5t of fuel loaded. At one point we were flying into a 167kt headwind! He thinks this will be a record that stands for some time as the headwinds will be less by tomorrow.
Stewie Mac and KeaneJohn like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.