Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Extended BA flight times due to conflict avoidance [Pakistan airspace closure]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Captain just revealed we have a 14h 57min flight time on the BA12 tonight (SIN-LHR) - diverting 600 miles south to avoid India and Pakistan. Ouch! Longest flight by a BA A380?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are doing better than many others. Pakistan has closed its airspace. Many flights held or cancelled at departure point and others enroute have been diverted. Glad that you have the fuel and crew hours to continue your flight.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I must admit that upon seeing the thread title I feared another compensation question - happily it was not the case.

You are indeed very lucky to make it to your destination as many other flights are either cancelled, diverted or have turned back. TG for one seem to have blanket cancelled almost all flights from Europe today.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Due to the extended flight times some flights will have a enroute stop required for fuel and a change of crew.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Due to the extended flight times some flights will have a enroute stop required for fuel and a change of crew.
KUL stopping in ATH it seems, and BKK in OTP.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
DEL in BUD.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Asia via Athens is a blast from the past.

Will BA send the BOAC-retro livery aircraft on the BOAC-retro route?

For BKK, don't try the obvious reroute: Thai has cancelled all flights to Europe.

BA's strength in having Southern European airports with handling agreements where they can arrange landing and fuel at short notice is proving useful.
Bazz16202 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by flatlander
Asia via Athens is a blast from the past.

Will BA send the BOAC-retro livery aircraft on the BOAC-retro route?

For BKK, don't try the obvious reroute: Thai has cancelled all flights to Europe.

BA's strength in having Southern European airports with handling agreements where they can arrange landing and fuel at short notice is proving useful.
Todays BA10 from BKK has a refuel in OTP due into LHR nearly 4 hours later. Some Asia bound flights taking limited cargo and virtually no hold baggage not a great situation but can’t be helped and a logistical nightmare. Good luck to all travelling.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I was on the BA12 which arrived this morning, 27 February, (early as it happens). Our flight passed from India to Pakistan but did not overfly any part of Kashmir. The current BA12 is showing an expected 90 minute delay. Suspect this does not mean a refuelling stop but an elongated path but will watch with interest. The BA16 from Sin is currently showing a 30 minute delay.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I have a LHR-SIN on Friday. Am I right to suppose that if the airspace closure is lifted tomorrow there will be no effect on next days Asian flights, despite today forced stops and longer flight times?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I currently have an LHR-KUL-BKK booked for Monday 18/3, with a 2-hour connection in KUL, so fingers crossed things have calmed down by then
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thai Airways have suspended all their flights to Europe.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
I have a LHR-SIN on Friday. Am I right to suppose that if the airspace closure is lifted tomorrow there will be no effect on next days Asian flights, despite today forced stops and longer flight times?
I wouldn’t assume anything. Individual airlines take their own decisions based on threat analysis, whether airspace is formally closed or not (ref. Ukraine).
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Rubecula
I was on the BA12 which arrived this morning, 27 February, (early as it happens). Our flight passed from India to Pakistan but did not overfly any part of Kashmir.
I too was on this flight , the captian did say it was a longer than usual duration but I never added it together. I slept for 7 hours and was oblivious to the detour.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I too was on this flight , the captian did say it was a longer than usual duration but I never added it together. I slept for 7 hours and was oblivious to the detour.
I remember the captain saying that but I do not understand why as looking at the flight tracking websites I do not think we took a detour. Whatever, the flight arrived early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.