Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time in First!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
My partner's first First is approaching in three weeks to NRT on a 789. My first on a 789 so we're both looking forward to it.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Enjoy your flight! It's lovely turning left, and then MORE left, hehe.
And also let the crew know as in my experience they make a fuss if it's your first time in F.
I very much like the Concord Room, it's a lovely space and sitting at the bar drinking LPGS is a nice way to spend airport time.
Your flight will most likely depart from B or C Gates so do allow time to get there.
The walkway on Level -4 is another of Heathrow's best kept secrets (although not to FlyerTalkers!) and is also an oasis of calm.
JamieABZ and stephenjc like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
So far so great. Had a rush from the EDI flight, no car or anything.

Walked to T5B, thanks for the reminder.

Service on board, fantastic. Can't drink quick enough. Lamb shank falling off the bone.

Sir Paul McCartney in 1A.

Downsides, no storage in 4F, no drawers or cubby holes.

Apart from that, a big step up from CW/J.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
This is a great thread. My first on a 747 will be this summer LHR-JFK in 1A booked with AA miles (85k - not too bad). It’s a trip I wanted to take for a long time and need to do it before the 747s are gone for good. Helpful tips. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Sealink
Enjoy your flight! It's lovely turning left, and then MORE left, hehe.
And also let the crew know as in my experience they make a fuss if it's your first time in F.
I very much like the Concord Room, it's a lovely space and sitting at the bar drinking LPGS is a nice way to spend airport time.
Your flight will most likely depart from B or C Gates so do allow time to get there.
The walkway on Level -4 is another of Heathrow's best kept secrets (although not to FlyerTalkers!) and is also an oasis of calm.
WOW! Paul McCartney! The only celebrity I've ever traveled with (from ORD to MIA) is Walter Payton, former American football player for the Chicago Bears aka "Sweetness". He sat beside me and we had a great time...even when our flight pushed back and then was delayed/sat for one hour, he said, "My wife always packs candy for me." He went into his carry on bag and walked around the cabin passing out Rollo candy and shaking hands and introducing himself. He then invited me and all my co-workers (they were back in business class; I don't know how I was the only one upgraded to first) to visit his pit area at a CART race in Rio De Janeiro (we were all headed there, too).
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
My partner's first First is approaching in three weeks to NRT on a 789. My first on a 789 so we're both looking forward to it.
I have my first First LHR-NRT on the 789 in three weeks too!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Paul McCartney ! Wow indeed :-:

About as A-list as you can get.

Very often pictured using private jets but crosses the Atlantic so often that he does a lot of commercial stuff too. Once met a pilot (whilst based in the Gulf) who had flown him & family to their Scottish estate, on an exec jet, and he stressed just how pleasant and easy-going he was.

Last edited by subject2load; Mar 1, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by stephenjc
Sir Paul McCartney in 1A.
He, Heather Mills and I were on the Concorde together.....2001.
Sarah Ferguson too.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I have my first First this Friday to Cape Town after numerous J trips. I must admit to some trepidation due to stories of hit & miss service and the high chance I’ll get a decrepit 747. But... I cannot wait to try the CX first lounge, to try the buddy dining, the use the CCR on the way home to Dublin and generally just to experience what “should” be my best flights so far
Did my first F from LHR to CPT 2 days ago in fact. T3 BA lounge nothing special and had rushed spa treatment owing to late appointment time. Crew service good, buddy seat cramped as we had window seats. Food ok-ish. Definitely pre book food online if you can as they ran out of lamb for passengers who didn't book. Watched one movie and slept most of the way.

The Comair connection from CPT to JNB was special though Plane needed a bit of refurb for sure.

Flying back F in A380 from JNB to LHR. Hoping for an even nicer time.

You'll enjoy SA though - weather lovely here now .
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
This is a great thread. My first on a 747 will be this summer LHR-JFK in 1A booked with AA miles (85k - not too bad). It’s a trip I wanted to take for a long time and need to do it before the 747s are gone for good. Helpful tips. Thanks.
Curious how you got 1A. Was it your AA status?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by gazzer666
Did my first F from LHR to CPT 2 days ago in fact. T3 BA lounge nothing special...
Cathay lounge is much much better, 30 feet away and BA F pax are welcome.
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:02 am

Just off my first F flight and despite all the poor reviews on here, it was excellent

We did the T3 lounge hop, Qantas was nice for a drink but a bit soulless, AA was awful, BA fine if unspectacular, Cathay great for food.

Flight was a little delayed do boarding was a bit of a bit of a scrum but service was excellent on board, no issues with IFE, food plentiful & good quality. Currently in the SLOW lounge in CPT waiting to fly to PLZ
bakera and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
As the OP, I must admit I thought my LHR-JFK flight was wonderful. The crew, generally older were amazing and could not do enough for me and my wife. We let them know it was our first in First for our wedding anniversary at which they seemed genuinely happy for us. My FA advised me to drink all of the wines on the list and wouldn't let me off until I had (plus champagne and cognac, I was feeling a bit rough yesterday).

As said earlier I liked the seat except for storage, I didn't use the IFE.

According to some in the new first thread I shouldn't have been allowed this luxury trip as I bought it using 2-4-1 with Avios, some of which were accumulated from work travel.....in Y.

It will be interesting to see how the return flight compares, as I think the crew made the outward leg so special.
Sealink, cosmo74, SaraJH and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by stephenjc
As the OP, I must admit I thought my LHR-JFK flight was wonderful. The crew, generally older were amazing and could not do enough for me and my wife. We let them know it was our first in First for our wedding anniversary at which they seemed genuinely happy for us. My FA advised me to drink all of the wines on the list and wouldn't let me off until I had (plus champagne and cognac, I was feeling a bit rough yesterday).

As said earlier I liked the seat except for storage, I didn't use the IFE.

According to some in the new first thread I shouldn't have been allowed this luxury trip as I bought it using 2-4-1 with Avios, some of which were accumulated from work travel.....in Y.

It will be interesting to see how the return flight compares, as I think the crew made the outward leg so special.
To make you feel better and to rile some others even more I’ve had several trips in First and each time I’ve used a 2-4-1 and avios generated almost entirely from Tesco. I only fly BA when on avios redemptions, and only in Club or First.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I wish the OP a happy journey.

I suspect the experience can be route-specific. Our only F to date was ex-LGW to the Caribbean, and was somewhat underwhelming!
So this is BA First?

Happy to use a 2-4-1 to try it again, but less keen to have to get to LHR to try the better product ... the LGW-LHR hop really makes a mess of a travelling day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.