Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG 2018 Full Year Results [18 Boeing 777-9 ordered, plus 24 options]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG 2018 Full Year Results [18 Boeing 777-9 ordered, plus 24 options]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by flatlander
No-one seems to complain about the A380's "Club Dormitory"...
The main deck on the A380 is only 6 rows, rather than the 7 on the 777. Plus most of us on here have status and therefore choose the smaller 4 row cabin on the UD; whereas on the 777 there's no other option than to be in the dorm.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by xPositor
Wow, how heavy will the batteries be?
How do the GE9X this fit in with BA's fleet, isn't BA a majority of RR engines?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
6.7% increase in revenue

11.2% increase in pre tax profit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8800876.html
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
6.7% increase in revenue

11.2% increase in pre tax profit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8800876.html
Mixed Blessings. The Pilots / Cabin Crew / Engineers will now feel that their combined pay increase request is now justified and the threat of summer strikes just got bigger.
megaloman likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I don't like bob. I think BA's J product is towards the budget end of the spectrum. The safety video makes me cringe.

The J product is available regularly at budget prices, the FF scheme is brilliant and the lounge network is one of the better out there.

I guess it's all in the balance and it seems to be working out rather well for BA. If only they'd be a bit more honest: 'we know we're not as good as Qatar but we can't be bothered to try and we make a profit' wouldn't be a bad slogan.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Results seem broadly good - slightly above consensus.

Interesting bits I noticed from an FT perspective are the promise of unspecified 'promotions in centenary year' and 'Euro Traveller improvements'.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Presumably these 779s will have the new CW seat (or possibly 'suite' as discussed elsewhere) due to arrive this year so may not feel as 'dorm' like...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thumbs up 777-9X configuration breakdown

:Willie Walsh said to analysts the 4-class 777-9X at 325 seats will be as follows:
8 First seats
65 New Club World seats
46 New Premium Economy seats
206 Economy seats (assuming 10-abreast)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
Seems a bizarre decision to order a virtually identical type with similar capacity and range and mission profile, thereby increasing the costs by running two fleet types.
This is what came to my mind as well. Seems very odd to be running two very similar long haul aircraft with a pretty high fleet count for both. Not an expert but I believe there aren’t that many other carriers that do this for obvious reasons.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:57 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andimilk
Presumably these 779s will have the new CW seat (or possibly 'suite' as discussed elsewhere) due to arrive this year so may not feel as 'dorm' like...
That just means that instead of people moaning about the 'flying dormitory', they will be moaning about the 'flying coffins'
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
A few other interesting bits from the call transcript.

Struggling on Hong Kong due to 'overcapacity' (it's all CX's fault, in other words) and "that's something that we'll probably be adjusting for the year" so possibly a down-gauging to Hong Kong in the works? "A lot more to come" on reducing non-fuel unit costs which sounds ominous. Lots of assurance that the 777s will be retrofitted with the new Club World but this is clearly going to be an extremely slow process.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
So for me it's bad news because it's an arbitration between the 77X and the 35X and I would have much preferred them to make the other choice which I consider to currently be the most comfortable long haul commercial plane in the sky...
Having flown on the A350 from AY, HX and IB, I totally agree with this. The aircraft is magnificent with advantages of 787 and 380 without the disadvantages IMHO. Now, of course we have not yet flown the 777-9 but whenever I hear about densification, I shudder. I also now dislike BA's configuration of the 777-300 (AA is fine) as well as the higher noise levels, which of course might be addressed in the newer frames. The 350 is so quiet and smooth.
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
...Struggling on Hong Kong due to 'overcapacity' (it's all CX's fault, in other words) and "that's something that we'll probably be adjusting for the year" so possibly a down-gauging to Hong Kong in the works?...
My guess is when other airports, CPT?, become A380 ready, the A380 may disappear from HKG.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road

This is what came to my mind as well. Seems very odd to be running two very similar long haul aircraft with a pretty high fleet count for both. Not an expert but I believe there aren’t that many other carriers that do this for obvious reasons.
Perhaps the 787 RR Engine Issue has highlighted the impact of what could happen if all the eggs were in one basket (A350 is exclusively RR powered)?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by hemschmall
Neither of these points are actually true.
Thanks. To clarify, are you saying that I am mistaken that the 77X is intended to have an economy cabin layout of 10 abreast as opposed to 9 abreast for the 350?

True that the 779 has a higher capacity than the 351 though - I was thinking of the 778 which is equivalent.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 28, 2019 at 5:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.