Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG 2018 Full Year Results [18 Boeing 777-9 ordered, plus 24 options]

IAG 2018 Full Year Results [18 Boeing 777-9 ordered, plus 24 options]

Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jday
Why bad news, no one has flown on a 777-9 yet?
Well that could equally lead to ask why good news

In a nutshell, no, no one has flown it or the 778 yet, but the specs are known, such as some of the elements kept from the 787 which I personally don't like, the fact that similar capacity to the A350 is achieved with a wider cabin with at least one more seat intended per row and some low cost airlines working on plans to see if they might be able to fit an 11th one (we know where this has led on the 77W), etc.

So for me it's bad news because it's an arbitration between the 77X and the 35X and I would have much preferred them to make the other choice which I consider to currently be the most comfortable long haul commercial plane in the sky...
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:02 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by jday
Why bad news, no one has flown on a 777-9 yet?
Warmed-over "older" design that can't offer as much in the way of passenger environment improvements seen on newer designs such as the Dreamliner, A350 etc? Plus it's well known that people don't like the "flying dormitory" on here with large, unbroken cabin areas. Presumably BA can influence that with its cabin layout, although if it means sacrificing seats I wouldn't be too hopeful.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Could go either way for the Y traveller, I guess - initial improvement if they arrive only 10 across but then have to hope densification never happens!

Does the 777-8/9 feature the lower cabin altitude/higher cabin presssure & humidity of the more modern clean sheet designs?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No surprise really, Ive been expecting a 777X order for quite a while now purely due to the need to find a aircraft that will finish off the 744 replacement. I think the 777-9 was the only one with the capacity (both pax & cargo) that could do the job.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Could go either way for the Y traveller, I guess - initial improvement if they arrive only 10 across but then have to hope densification never happens!

Does the 777-8/9 feature the lower cabin altitude/higher cabin presssure & humidity of the more modern clean sheet designs?
Per Boeing, to a certain extent yes. The windows will be bigger than the current 777 and slightly higher up the cabin wall, the humidity will be better and the cabin pressure lower (to around 6,000ft)
etiene and TheFlyingCyclist like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:31 am
Suspended

My guess is Boeing offered a good deal that airbus wouldnt match.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by orbitmic
the fact that similar capacity to the A350 is achieved with a wider cabin with at least one more seat intended per row and some low cost airlines working on plans to see if they might be able to fit an 11th one (we know where this has led on the 77W), etc.
Neither of these points are actually true.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:45 am

British Airways' 777-9 will be powered by General Electric GE9X engines
Wow, how heavy will the batteries be?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by etiene

The new Boeing 777 has a 4 inch wider cabin due to slimming of the cabin walls. It means 10 abreast economy goes from 17.2 inch wide seats to 18 inch wide seats, which should calm the screamers who find that .4 of an inch each side a deal breaker.

Also, it will have a 6,000 foot cabin altitude, which is the same as the Boeing 787 and Airbus A350, so the on board comfort should be similar. Finally, the windows increase from 140 inches squared to 162 inches squared, which is 29% larger than at present (the current 777 has windows 12% larger than the A350 as it is, according to Boeing).

All in all, it will be a different experience to today's 777s. Plus folding wingtips, so there's that too!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well at least we know first is here to stay for a bit longer. Wonder if they will introduce a new first seat with it.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Does the 777-9 have the 787 windows? That is, the ones that don't actually block all the light and little of the heat when set to dark, don't allow you to close off the upper part of the window while looking out of the lower part, typically are set to be controlled in groups in business class instead of allowing individual control, and let authoritarian crews set them to dark even during daylight flights?

Or do they have useful, passenger-oriented windows?
masmadrid and jfallesen like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by V10
Warmed-over "older" design that can't offer as much in the way of passenger environment improvements seen on newer designs such as the Dreamliner, A350 etc? Plus it's well known that people don't like the "flying dormitory" on here with large, unbroken cabin areas. Presumably BA can influence that with its cabin layout, although if it means sacrificing seats I wouldn't be too hopeful.
Having flown the CX A359 and A35K a couple of dozen times, the club dormitory is still very much present.
rossmacd and Takiteasy like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
No-one seems to complain about the A380's "Club Dormitory"...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by flatlander
No-one seems to complain about the A380's "Club Dormitory"...
On the A380 you can choose dormitory or not. Theres no escaoe on the 777
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:29 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Seems a bizarre decision to order a virtually identical type with similar capacity and range and mission profile, thereby increasing the costs by running two fleet types.
Brisbane Road likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.