Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG 2018 Full Year Results [18 Boeing 777-9 ordered, plus 24 options]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG 2018 Full Year Results [18 Boeing 777-9 ordered, plus 24 options]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
777x MCAS....?

Whilst people are awaiting the investigation of the latest 737 Max accident, I have wondered what the position is with the 777x.....? I've had a look a look at a number of Wikipedia/PPrune and other articles but can't find definitive answers. The launch of the 777x has just been delayed, presumably due to timing with the Max investigation, but is there any commonality with the Max.....?

The 777x has longer and wider wings and a 6" larger engine. The 737 Max has heavier engines than previous generations and this caused the implementation of the MCAS system. The 777x is a 'warmed over' design based on the 777, just as the 737 Max is an evolution of the 737.

Questions I can't answer are:

1) Does the 777x have MCAS to accommodate it's larger engines/wings?
2) Is type certification between existing 777 and the 777x the same? i.e. The 737 Max issues could be related to the drive to achieve a common certification with previous models, despite significant differences requiring MCAS

Would welcome insight.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
The launch of the 777x has just been delayed, presumably due to timing with the Max investigation ...
IIRC (although it was a couple of days ago now) it was the roll-out ceremony that was postponed. A celebration was - entirely understandably - thought to be inappropriate to do that so soon after the recent accident, regardless of its cause.

I think that these ceremonies have less meaning now than they used to; many of us will remember the 787 roll-out ceremony. So I suspect that to say that "the launch" of the 777X has been delayed is likely to be overstating the case.
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Questions I can't answer are:

1) Does the 777x have MCAS to accommodate it's larger engines/wings?
AIUI, MCAS is an electronic system grafted on to a traditional cable-and-pulley aircraft.

In contrast, the 777 has been fly-by-wire since day 1. I'm not an expert, but on the face of it, it seems unlikely that any adjustments to the 777X that are thought desirable would be done by grafting on a separate system.
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I nice surprise arrived in the post this morning: an IAG shares dividend
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Prospero
I nice surprise arrived in the post this morning: an IAG shares dividend
Certainly more than I was expecting !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.