Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The Achilles' Heel of the New CW: Beverages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Achilles' Heel of the New CW: Beverages

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:12 pm

I was on a flight where the cabin was strangely dark, even although it was daytime. Staff disappeared after meal service. After waiting half an hour, my husband pressed the call button for a drink. The resulting service was like a a version of the 'Two Soups' sketch (Julia Waters and Victoria Wood).We waited another half an hour only to discover that the delay was because the FA couldn't unlock the drinks cabinet/had no key. The excuse was bizarre. I agree with the OP that the drinks service needs to be improved. It feels cheap and mean.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
That sounds strange ! Is it customary to lock the liquor cabinetnremain locked during mid-flight ?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by HMPS

I wonder if CC are instructed to clearly mark damaged crockery say with a big piece of tape or damage it more so it does not reenter the supply chain.
A cut lip or tongue is a major problem, burns like heck with salt or pepper !
We throw any broken glasses and china in the bin straight away.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
That sounds strange ! Is it customary to lock the liquor cabinetnremain locked during mid-flight ?
We were incredulous when told this. This is one for the CC on the forum to explain, if possible please. There had been no proactive offer of drinks - or any kind of service after the meal was cleared. I was told staff were on their break and the one person present for both CW cabins may not have wanted to disturb a colleague or couldn't find the key. Why lock everything up and go on a break? Strange indeed.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
We were incredulous when told this. This is one for the CC on the forum to explain, if possible please. There had been no proactive offer of drinks - or any kind of service after the meal was cleared. I was told staff were on their break and the one person present for both CW cabins may not have wanted to disturb a colleague or couldn't find the key. Why lock everything up and go on a break? Strange indeed.
If this is towards the end of the flight (within the last 1-2 hours) the bars are reconciled and closed in preparation for landing. However sufficient alcoholic drinks should be left out to use for the remainder of the flight.
HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not usual, what was the route please?
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:59 am

Thanks, CIHY, I have never experienced it before on any other BA flight. It was on my most dreaded route - CAI to LHR.

Thanks, Karfa. My impression was that they had decided to close shop after the meal was served. There were several hours to landing when my husband asked.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very strange as there should be plenty of stock on such a short flight, also all crew are required to carry bar keys.
HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:02 am

The only thing I can think might have happened is that the open bars were out of whichever drink was requested so they needed to open another bar, but even then all crew should have keys...
flygirl68 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no excuse then?
flygirl68, HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
So no excuse then?
There's no excuse for not providing service in club.
Can I help you and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not just in CW, I know you are not disagreeing with me.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not just in CW, I know you are not disagreeing with me.
Exactly. You can use the call bell in all cabins, but shouldn't have to.
Can I help you likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
so I agree the drinks service is poor in club. Not the main theme of the thread but at least in WT and WTP - BA do a drinks run first. AC on the Canada routes merge drinks and the meal. When I asked for a G&T as an aperitif, and wine with the meal - I was told they only serve one drink to a PAX at a time. It was only when I said fine, I'll have the scotch and ping you in 5 mins................

I think the cut in crew may have made things worse. However, and sorry for bringing in the other factor - but CC are the main factor in excellent customer service. Ok - the food can be overcooked, or run out, or slow, and we hate the seats in club - but every flight in club or first which has stood out as world class has been well cooked food (by CC), Fast or plentiful drinks runs (by CC), that extra treat or top up (by CC) - you get my drift.
I do generally find service slower by MF crew as they follow the book TO THE LETTER and seem unconfident or scared to personalise the service or crack a joke or whatever. I know over time they will speed up, but all of my worst Club and first experiences have been on the YYZ route with MF in the last two years or so, and the best with LH crew to HK, SF, Toronto and Montreal. I have had to wait 20 mins on boarding for the first drink with my only sin being in the third row. (I went back to club and asked for a drink - I was told it was the CC serving the right side of First first day after training and she was left alone. (I have wondered where the CSM is immersed in working biz whether they sometimes forget to check the pointy end. With BOB killing the overall dashboards of most pursers and CSMs due to low scores in coach, and with the CEO talking about premium cabins bringing in the money, you think Crew Supervisors would work all of the premium cabins with managing by walking about!.

I think blaming cuts on crew numbers has some validity for initial speed of service, but a lot of the complaints are about crew going AWOL- not that there aren't enough. Any sensible business is going to crew to the optimum level smoothing out the peaks and troughs to find the middle ground - not just for the peak rush, It can backfire as Emirates have found out by cutting the onboard staff with detrimental comments now appearing.

On a recent flight home to Toronto, we had to fly to Montreal where I was reminded how good LH crew are when on form and minus the obligatory odd cranky one. Funny, fast, efficient, and on asking for a top up of fizz before take off, the bottle was in the cabin within 30 seconds and he topped everyone up. Not a lot, but the gesture went down well. I'm sure that's against standards - but it works!
Old May 27, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Just on a CW flight
The drinks service just doesnt work on CW any more
Without a trolly they cant offer wine with the starter (i noted some canny passengers pre ordered; I was only asked what type of water I wanted)
They almost need a 5th member if staff to manage drinks orders
This really is a downgrade to the service

UPDATE; Just bringing mains around still with no drinks , said to the stewardess can we have some drinks please! I said with this new service there doesnt seem to be any drinks anymore

She was very nice ; she said the new service is confusing for them as well!
JimEddie, T8191, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by allturnleft; May 27, 2019 at 10:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.