Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bangkok aircraft [and other BA 9/10 LHR-BKK vv-related things]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

So it seems BKK route seems to get the worst aircraft in the fleet - unrefurbed 3 class 777s. Are there any chances the aircraft will be swapped in the relatively near future or back to 4 class?

Seems the LHR 3 class won’t start any sort of refurbishment until the end of the year so it seems there is no respite on the horizon!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
If you need book F from BKK-LHR, then BA's search presents CX to HKG and BA HKG-LHR (A380) at a massive saving on just booking BA F HKG-LHR. So much so I will reposition to Bangkok before flying back.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
There are a multitude of threads on these old birds serving Bangkok if you search, and the general opinion is mixed. Personally, I think they are not as bad as people make them out to be - and I find it interesting that it is always BKK which is being bashed and not a single one of the many other routes the YMMx 772s serve...

There is not enough premium demand to serve the route with a four class plane, which is why we have not seen F on BKK for years. You do get the occasional unplanned swap though.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
There are a multitude of threads on these old birds serving Bangkok if you search, and the general opinion is mixed. Personally, I think they are not as bad as people make them out to be - and I find it interesting that it is always BKK which is being bashed and not a single one of the many other routes the YMMx 772s serve...

There is not enough premium demand to serve the route with a four class plane, which is why we have not seen F on BKK for years. You do get the occasional unplanned swap though.
I agree - every week there is a new thread about BKK (one I think I even start myself at one point &#129325 but no mention of any other 3 class route - I’ve been on the same aircraft to Nassau and Brazil many times but those routes are rarely mentioned. Also agree that these aircraft really aren’t in bad shape apart from IFE (I bring my Mac with me anyway) - so I certainly wouldn’t be looking to route via a different city for the sake of a TV screen when you can bring your own anyway - other than that I genuinly don’t see a difference in the cabin - I’ve been on A380s in worse shape than Y-MMB/E and some of the 3 class are barely even 9 years old.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:03 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Just flew Bkk Lhr last week in CW. Apart from IFE found it ok. Failings are maybe more noticeable as it is a very long day flight and it didn’t help that the departure was delayed due to weather. Food was pretty good. I don’t watch films but prefer to read book/ magazines andwaslooking forward to downloading some publications from PressReader in the Cathay lounge but discovered it only works if you are flying on Cathay metal. Had to try and watch a film to pass the time and it gave me a headache.
flewout in F to KL with a great crew however the food was inedible virtually no choice, cold coagulated mezze to start and a tasteless Asian style chicken dish for a main. Flewair Asia a few days later and had a similar type of dish that was so much more tasty They offered nettle soup as well, what were they thinking! I know there are rants about lousy food in Fbit yhistook the biscuit ( pun). It seems that with the improvements in CW F has deteriorated rapidly.

the worst bit thing for me on the777 is if being in a window seat you have to do a yoga inspired climb over the pax in front to get out of the seat
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Isn't it the case you get what you pay for? KUL and HGK are, for a similar distance more expensive. As I do this route most of all I will suffer the old birds as I am sure improved equipment will jack the price up.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: Some
I think the reason people complain about the aircraft on BKK more than any other is that it's easy to benchmark it to what you could have flown had you chosen another carrier on this route - EVA/Thai direct or basically any European or Middle Eastern carrier if you are willing to just slightly lengthen your journey. On many of the other routes where BA operates these 777s there is little-to-no real competition. Having said that, I completely understand BA's strategy here as the problem with BKK is that BA's lunch has basically already been eaten. BKK presents a fairly unique set of issues for BA as a route - leisure-heavy, more budget-led than premium-led and eastbound too.

BA is a premium-heavy airline with largely premium-heavy configured air frames as a result, so they are limited in the frames they could use profitably on a route like BKK, most have just too many J/F seats in ratio to Y for a route like BKK which is largely Y demand. Even worse, a lot of the premium demand that does exist is leisure travel rather than the business travelers that BA usually rely on. This means the average BKK customer is much more willing to fly via the Middle East for what is perceived as a more comfortable product, so BA isn't able to rely on being the quickest and only direct option to drive high premium cabin pricing as they are able to do on many other routes. The fact DXB and DOH don't add much flying time to the route just makes things worse in both Y and J, I have no doubt if EK/QR/EY didn't exist BA would probably be operating multiple BKK rotations a day instead. Finally, on westbound routes BA has an inherent advantage as flying anyone but BA on many of the routes BA offers from LHR involves backtracking and adding significant additional flight time, in addition to also being a viable option for people connecting from other European airports where LHR isn't a significant westbound detour. For BKK the additional time added by changing flights in CDG or FRA is much less than for westbound flight and LHR isn't well placed to attract customers from Continental Europe without offering rock bottom prices (hence the AMS-BKK J fare that has existed forever). In short, I think it's probably more likely BA will drop this route or switch to a smaller aircraft (788 would probably work) than upgrade the product they offer.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Not sure how you're planning on paying for the flight but when we recently went to book our flights LHR-BKK-LHR using our 2-4-1 we were lucky enough to get a pretty switched on agent who suggested an alternative for pretty much the same avios wise. Now doing LHR-HKG as our 1st First ( independent bookings in between as voucher flights all need to be on BA metal which can't be done) then home in Club BKK-LHR. Cost us 193,000 avios and I think just over Ł1050.

Gives us a 4 day jaunt in Hong Kong before pushing on to Thailand adding another stamp nin the passports ( and if I can convince the good lady regarding the massive price difference between CX and the Thai' carriers then hopefully access to the CX lounges at HKG). Not sure if it would be of interest but we jumped at the chance to indulge in the 1st experience for I think less than 20k avios difference.

The 773s on the outbound are also newer so it would only mean having the 772 on the way back. Like others above I've heard mixed reviews about the 772s on the route and decided that whichever camp is right making the best of what it is is the way to go. Push comes to shove i'll knock back a few ( sensibly of course) and get my head down day flight or not.
ard9719 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA
I have a 2-4-1 flight booked LHR-BKK in late Nov 19 which will be our first long haul CW experience going east. I am fingers crossed that this late in the year some changes would be a foot and potentially we get another aircraft or a refurbed one. However seeing as it's a mixed bag of reviews and no matter what flight i take i always have my MacBook loaded with films i am very excited! But im sure i am much less travelled than many people on FT so anything lay-flat i am like a kid in a sweet shop!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ard9719
I have a 2-4-1 flight booked LHR-BKK in late Nov 19 which will be our first long haul CW experience going east. I am fingers crossed that this late in the year some changes would be a foot and potentially we get another aircraft or a refurbed one. However seeing as it's a mixed bag of reviews and no matter what flight i take i always have my MacBook loaded with films i am very excited! But im sure i am much less travelled than many people on FT so anything lay-flat i am like a kid in a sweet shop!
For a less travelled passenger - you'll love it - I often fly the older aircraft exLGW to Florida in Club. It's a thoroughly comfortable way to travel - I load my iPad and I'm good to go
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by ard9719
It's our 1st First and 1st time flying to the far East. Certainly not our 1st LH but likewise we are those kids in the candy shop. I say go with it and have the best time you can. 😀
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
They must still be attracting some wealthy passengers, today's BA10 from BKK to LHR is making a stop in OTP for 'CONVENIENCE, VIP'. :-)

Code:
DOBA10/27FEB
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 10 0 WE 27FEB19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

BKK LEFT THE GATE 1130
TOOK OFF 1150
OTP DIV LHR OTP
COMMERCIAL PUBLICITY/PASSENGER
CONVENIENCE, VIP
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1820 OTP
BKK ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL OTP 1913 OTP
OTP ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1950
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 10 0 WE 27FEB19
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
BKK 1125 WE JCDRIWETYBH/M 777 13:10
KMLVSNQOG/M
LHR 1735 WE 13:10
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by internetplumber
They must still be attracting some wealthy passengers, today's BA10 from BKK to LHR is making a stop in OTP for 'CONVENIENCE, VIP'. :-)

DOBA10/27FEB
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 10 0 WE 27FEB19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

BKK LEFT THE GATE 1130
TOOK OFF 1150
OTP DIV LHR OTP
COMMERCIAL PUBLICITY/PASSENGER
CONVENIENCE, VIP
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1820 OTP
BKK ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL OTP 1913 OTP
OTP ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1950
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 10 0 WE 27FEB19
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
BKK 1125 WE JCDRIWETYBH/M 777 13:10
KMLVSNQOG/M
LHR 1735 WE 13:10
The reasoning seems very strange - this is most likely due to Pakistani airspace being closed earlier today causing a lot of diversions and returns due to longer routes. So likely diverting for fuel. Regarding BKK in particular, lots of TG flights to Europe returned to BKK as a result.
internetplumber likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by internetplumber
It could also mean a medical diversion, but unlikely given the options available. I'm sure we'll find out what it is at some point.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA
It's to do with Pakistani airspace being closed while the aircraft is airborne. BA256 is also affected and will stop in BUD.
internetplumber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.