Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bangkok aircraft [and other BA 9/10 LHR-BKK vv-related things]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok aircraft [and other BA 9/10 LHR-BKK vv-related things]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It could also mean a medical diversion, but unlikely given the options available. I'm sure we'll find out what it is at some point.
A friend of mine is onboard and confirmed that it is due to airspace closure, they need to refuel in OTP apparently.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BABenchley
It's to do with Pakistani airspace being closed while the aircraft is airborne. BA256 is also affected and will stop in BUD.
Is this such a lengthy diversion? Surely over such a long distance the distance penalty of flying 500 miles further north or south relative to the total distance is not that much compared to such things as wind direction changes. Or are we looking at very different routings avoiding more than just Pakistani airspace?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think the reason people complain about the aircraft on BKK more than any other is that it's easy to benchmark it to what you could have flown had you chosen another carrier on this route - EVA/Thai direct or basically any European or Middle Eastern carrier if you are willing to just slightly lengthen your journey. On many of the other routes where BA operates these 777s there is little-to-no real competition. Having said that, I completely understand BA's strategy here as the problem with BKK is that BA's lunch has basically already been eaten. BKK presents a fairly unique set of issues for BA as a route - leisure-heavy, more budget-led than premium-led and eastbound too.

BA is a premium-heavy airline with largely premium-heavy configured air frames as a result, so they are limited in the frames they could use profitably on a route like BKK, most have just too many J/F seats in ratio to Y for a route like BKK which is largely Y demand. Even worse, a lot of the premium demand that does exist is leisure travel rather than the business travelers that BA usually rely on. This means the average BKK customer is much more willing to fly via the Middle East for what is perceived as a more comfortable product, so BA isn't able to rely on being the quickest and only direct option to drive high premium cabin pricing as they are able to do on many other routes. The fact DXB and DOH don't add much flying time to the route just makes things worse in both Y and J, I have no doubt if EK/QR/EY didn't exist BA would probably be operating multiple BKK rotations a day instead. Finally, on westbound routes BA has an inherent advantage as flying anyone but BA on many of the routes BA offers from LHR involves backtracking and adding significant additional flight time, in addition to also being a viable option for people connecting from other European airports where LHR isn't a significant westbound detour. For BKK the additional time added by changing flights in CDG or FRA is much less than for westbound flight and LHR isn't well placed to attract customers from Continental Europe without offering rock bottom prices (hence the AMS-BKK J fare that has existed forever). In short, I think it's probably more likely BA will drop this route or switch to a smaller aircraft (788 would probably work) than upgrade the product they offer.
Very good writing.

That's why I expect the BKK route to be one of the first to get A350 when it arrives (3-class, not too premium heavy yet with the new BA suite in J)
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
... That's why I expect the BKK route to be one of the first to get A350 when it arrives (3-class, not too premium heavy yet with the new BA suite in J)
Do I detect some wishful thinking here?
nufnuf77 and george77300 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by fdem
but prefer to read book/ magazines andwaslooking forward to downloading some publications from PressReader in the Cathay lounge but discovered it only works if you are flying on Cathay metal.
Not sure what happened there, but provided you are connected to the CX lounge WiFi Pressreader should just work for all the titles Cathay have subscribed to (note: my local library gives access to more titles than CX do on their wifi). There is no way Pressreader can detect what metal you are flying on, they just see your app connected to the CX lounge hotspot and you're permitted access.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:33 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
It could also mean a medical diversion, but unlikely given the options available. I'm sure we'll find out what it is at some point.
both actually, primarily for fuel given the re-route and headwinds. 1 pax fell ill during the refuel but is OK.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:40 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by plunet
Not sure what happened there, but provided you are connected to the CX lounge WiFi Pressreader should just work for all the titles Cathay have subscribed to (note: my local library gives access to more titles than CX do on their wifi). There is no way Pressreader can detect what metal you are flying on, they just see your app connected to the CX lounge hotspot and you're permitted access.

i did try that but the lounge agent nttold meyouhaveto log in wiiththe cx flight number which I have to admit does seem odd. My husband also tried but no luck and when you try to download a title it reverts asks you to pay. Nota big deal but it just seems strange
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I'm always amazed this flight keeps popping up. BA fly an aircraft with a terrible offering in J, but there's plenty of choice on the route: just fly EVA in J - they have reverse herringbone seats and fabulous champagne in J (currently La Grande Dame, IIRC - the same price point as what BA serve in F)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:20 pm

Oh well. There was me hoping to try the AMS - BKK route in J on new aircraft.
What's the chances of getting new planes with a better business class product by summer 2020?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Aston100
Oh well. There was me hoping to try the AMS - BKK route in J on new aircraft.
What's the chances of getting new planes with a better business class product by summer 2020?
Zero
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Do I detect some wishful thinking here?
I avoided BKK like the plague but now that I do my weekly HAN commute in addition to BCN, BKK becomes the easiest (and most frequent) place to connect to HAN. Just wish BA would interline on separate itineraries...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:26 am

I avoided BKK like the plague but now that I do my weekly HAN commute in addition to BCN, BKK becomes the easiest (and most frequent) place to connect to HAN. Just wish BA would interline on separate itineraries...
Can you not book a Bankok Airways flight BKK-HAN as a BA code share?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rapidex
Can you not book a Bankok Airways flight BKK-HAN as a BA code share?
There is no longer any PG flights on the route.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think the reason people complain about the aircraft on BKK more than any other is that it's easy to benchmark it to what you could have flown had you chosen another carrier on this route - EVA/Thai direct or basically any European or Middle Eastern carrier if you are willing to just slightly lengthen your journey. On many of the other routes where BA operates these 777s there is little-to-no real competition. Having said that, I completely understand BA's strategy here as the problem with BKK is that BA's lunch has basically already been eaten. BKK presents a fairly unique set of issues for BA as a route - leisure-heavy, more budget-led than premium-led and eastbound too.

BA is a premium-heavy airline with largely premium-heavy configured air frames as a result, so they are limited in the frames they could use profitably on a route like BKK, most have just too many J/F seats in ratio to Y for a route like BKK which is largely Y demand. Even worse, a lot of the premium demand that does exist is leisure travel rather than the business travelers that BA usually rely on. This means the average BKK customer is much more willing to fly via the Middle East for what is perceived as a more comfortable product, so BA isn't able to rely on being the quickest and only direct option to drive high premium cabin pricing as they are able to do on many other routes. The fact DXB and DOH don't add much flying time to the route just makes things worse in both Y and J, I have no doubt if EK/QR/EY didn't exist BA would probably be operating multiple BKK rotations a day instead. Finally, on westbound routes BA has an inherent advantage as flying anyone but BA on many of the routes BA offers from LHR involves backtracking and adding significant additional flight time, in addition to also being a viable option for people connecting from other European airports where LHR isn't a significant westbound detour. For BKK the additional time added by changing flights in CDG or FRA is much less than for westbound flight and LHR isn't well placed to attract customers from Continental Europe without offering rock bottom prices (hence the AMS-BKK J fare that has existed forever). In short, I think it's probably more likely BA will drop this route or switch to a smaller aircraft (788 would probably work) than upgrade the product they offer.
In short, BA is just not competitive enough with its Asian peers, in terms of both product and prices.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:15 am

There is no longer any PG flights on the route.
There are, but you must change in CNX Chiang Mai. Not sure if that is so good for you, but it is a way to get your bags checked through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.