Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone on BA492 today (25th Feb) LHR-GIB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
PIO - overcorrection? Certainly looks sporty.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
I wonder if the oscillating was caused by the two engines not being completely aligned power wise after thrust was increased in both as part of the go around procedures. It can be that they power up at slightly different rates.

Last edited by Saint4805; Feb 25, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:22 pm

The winds from the Rock give off rotors - this was quite severe - today strong winds, clear skies warm temps
wind was gusting 30 even 40 from the East -

Watch some approaches and go-arounds from Funchal airport and you will see similar and nearer the ground control issues due to wind shear and rotors

If it was a technical issue today affecting the control the crew would have likely declared that with a pan pan or even a may day - The a/c was OK and flew back from AGP with the pax bussed from GIB
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:32 pm

Looks a wild ride, however my sense is it looks worse than it really was. Good airmanship, well rehearsed turnaround at Malaga and everything back on track.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
That looks a bit rough to me! It’s the way it appears to bank from left to right that is unexpected.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Saint4805
I wonder if the oscillating was caused by the two engines not being completely aligned power wise after thrust was increased in both as part of the go around procedures. It can be that they power up at slightly different rates.
During a go-around a button on the throttle levers or the motion to full power, depending on the aircraft model (not sure how initiated but result is the same) cause TO/GA mode (Take-odd/Go-around) which is max continuous thrust on both engines. Also most jets synchronise the power (if enabled, it's a button)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
The guy interviewed by Sky News is a friend of mine. Flies every week from London to Gibraltar. So he knows about the sometimes awful weather conditions. But he also told us that the pilot said that in all her flying years with BA she had never had so close a call.
SK, corporate-wage-slave and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mikebg
The guy interviewed by Sky News is a friend of mine. Flies every week from London to Gibraltar. So he knows about the sometimes awful weather conditions. But he also told us that the pilot said that in all her flying years with BA she had never had so close a call.
A close call to decide on the go around or did you mean close shave?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
I was on the late LHR-GIB flight. Apparently a fair few people offloaded themselves before departure after hearing about the winds, and the captain did a nice PA saying that GIB was still our intended destination. As it turns out, approach was very smooth (and the mixed fleet crew excellent).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

From onboard it doesn’t look that bad to be fair.
Looks a bit worse in this video. A good 20-30 secs of oscillation and this is full video including approach and Go Around.

Even hear a passenger say: "I think we might be going Malaga!" They've clearly been to GIB before.

SK, shefgab, KeaneJohn and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Saint4805
A close call to decide on the go around or did you mean close shave?
I think she meant a close shave
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Sent it to a Pilot I know as he text me earlier saying he'd had an "interesting take off' out of HPN bound for BCN for comparison, he had 35 knots off the left wing. He said this was much sportier. Said it looks like over correction by the pilot for what it's worth.
simonrp84 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by george77300
Even hear a passenger say: "I think we might be going Malaga!" They've clearly been to GIB before.
That's a bunch of passengers after my own heart: laughing their way through it.
SK, 'andad, Ldnn1 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:59 pm

You can rule out mechanical problems as the aircraft flew from AGP back to LHR. I don't think it's fair to suggest Pilot Induced Oscillations until the FDR (Flight Data Recorder) is downloaded and assessed.

This looks like being caught in a rather severe rotor effect as a result of the easterly wind hitting the rock, being forced up and then swirling down the other side (on the side of the Bay, where they were turning on to final for RW09).

The aircraft is built to be inherently stable i.e. return to it's original position in case of a disturbance (ever wondered what the tail is for other than to simply yaw the aircraft?). That combined with the rotors causing almost instantaneous updraughts/downdraughts on each wing it's difficult to say whether the pilots had much to do with this for better or worse. All they could do really was execute the Go-Around and ride it out until they climbed above the rotor zone.

I've flown during some tricky wind conditions in GIB, INN, NCE among others but I have to say this looks rather un-settling!
nancypants and TheJayHatch like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
I don't think it's fair to suggest Pilot Induced Oscillations until the FDR (Flight Data Recorder) is downloaded and assessed
Out of interest, is this likely to happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.