Wiki Posts
Search

Excess baggage weights and status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Excess baggage weights and status

If you have status does the excess baggage allowance match the regular allowance 23kg or your status allowance of 32kg?

I suspect the former but thought it not a bad idea to check
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I believe you are not charged the excess for bags up to 32kgs.

When i I have a plus fare on the boarding card it says 3 bags not to exceed 32kgs.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Due to a bit of a disaster I need to use more than my 3x32kg bags, just wondered if the 4th (possibly 5th) bags would be 32kg or 23kg?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I believe you are not charged the excess for bags up to 32kgs.

When i I have a plus fare on the boarding card it says 3 bags not to exceed 32kgs.
What I think our perhaps over-terse OP is referring to is that if he has 4 bags, and therefore has to pay an excess charge, is that 4th bag kept to 23 kgs or 32kgs.

Now this is well outside my experience, but what I think it is is that there are actually 2 charges here - one for the extra bag, and potentially one for the being overweight. And Emeralds (not just Golds) are waived from having to pay that overweight fee whether on the allowance or the excess allowance. So in essence it is 32 kgs.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What I think our perhaps over-terse OP is referring to is that if he has 4 bags, and therefore has to pay an excess charge, is that 4th bag kept to 23 kgs or 32kgs.

Now this is well outside my experience, but what I think it is is that there are actually 2 charges here - one for the extra bag, and potentially one for the being overweight. And Emeralds (not just Golds) are waived from having to pay that overweight fee whether on the allowance or the excess allowance. So in essence it is 32 kgs.

Wow!! Is this a first? I may add that to my profile.

Just spoke to the Gold line and they stated that you only get the 23kg
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:00 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Worcester
Wow!! Is this a first? I may add that to my profile.

HUACA?
Worcester likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

How strict are they on the dimensions, if it is the same volume but 10cm too long have they ever made a fuss?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Worcester
The Speedbird site has a copy of the Checked Baggage Policy. It says this in three separate places. Initially:
The following frequent flyer members can take the maximum weight of 32kg per bag without paying the heavy bag charge (except for hand baggage only fares). This applies to the cardholder only.
  • British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members
  • oneworld Emerald and Sapphire
Then in the section marked "Overweight Bag Charge" it says
The following customers are entitled to a 32kg baggage allowance per bag at no additional charge:
  • Customers travelling to and from Brazil.
  • First, Club World and Club Europe customers on all routes.
  • British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members.
  • AA Advantage Executive Platinum.
  • Iberia Plus Platinum
  • Qantas Platinum One and Platinum
  • Japan Airlines Diamond and JGC Premier
Items that exceed the maximum dimensions will not be accepted. Customers will be asked to re-pack into smaller bags that do not exceed the dimensions or to make arrangements for their items to be sent cargo
Then finally on the page specific for "Excess baggage", it repeats that second quote one more time, and that is after a long spiel going through all the charges for extra bags, which clearly would require payment in your particular scenario. If it was a 23kg limit then (a) they would say so and (b) they would not unnecessarily repeat a wadge of information which was irrelevant.

For the dimensions, it says
Any items larger than 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) require separate shipping as cargo.
with a link to IAG cargo. We've seen recent threads where BA have turned a blind eye to skiing equipment going too far on the length side, but I doubt you can fully rely on that in all circumstances.
adrianlondon and Worcester like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
What are the maximum permitted dimensions for a checked bag or box? I know when the BA Forum Dashboard > BA Baggage guide was written in 2014, the maximum permitted size was 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm. The BA website also states this on the Baggage Essentials > Checked Baggage Allowances:

Which contradicts what it states further up the page:

Do they mean a checked bag can be up to 90 x 75 x 43 cm, but something like sports equipment or a box can be up to 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Anfield
Do they mean a checked bag can be up to 90 x 75 x 43 cm, but something like sports equipment or a box can be up to 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm?
Yes. A checked bag can be 90 x 75 x 43 cm. But you can take ‘larger items’ up to 190 x 75 x 65 cm. After check-in, these have to be deposited at the ‘Oversized’ baggage belt (next to the F Wing at T5) and retrieved from the Oversized collection area at the destination. There is no additional charge for checking an oversized item but it is subject to the usual weight limits, and each oversize item counts as one normal bag.

I have done this both outbound from the UK and inbound to the UK, to and from various out-stations, without any problems. Often the items I see others checking via this method are children’s buggies, racing bikes in a bike box, sports equipment and so on. My own experience is from checking large household items, boxed for travel. Note that bikes have their own rules and you need to notify BA in advance that you are carrying one. I haven’t ever pre-warned BA of carrying non-bike large items and this has never been a problem for me.
Anfield likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Thomathy
Yes. A checked bag can be 90 x 75 x 43 cm. But you can take ‘larger items’ up to 190 x 75 x 65 cm. After check-in, these have to be deposited at the ‘Oversized’ baggage belt (next to the F Wing at T5) and retrieved from the Oversized collection area at the destination. There is no additional charge for checking an oversized item but it is subject to the usual weight limits, and each oversize item counts as one normal bag.

I have done this both outbound from the UK and inbound to the UK, to and from various out-stations, without any problems. Often the items I see others checking via this method are children’s buggies, racing bikes in a bike box, sports equipment and so on. My own experience is from checking large household items, boxed for travel. Note that bikes have their own rules and you need to notify BA in advance that you are carrying one. I haven’t ever pre-warned BA of carrying non-bike large items and this has never been a problem for me.
Great! Thanks for clarifying.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by Thomathy

Perhaps bikes have their own rules if you just hand them a bike, but when in a box/bag you just show up with it as usual. No need to pre-book.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Just to check - has anything changed since 2019, or is showing up with a "larger item" still fine as long as it's there sufficiently early (and weighs within the limits)? I'm seeing this on the BA website:

"The maximum dimensions for an oversize bag in the hold are 190 x 75 x 65cm.Bags larger than the standard size but within these maximum dimensions are known as out-of-gauge bags. They're accepted as part of your checked baggage allowance but must be checked in at the out-of-gauge bag drop at least 90 minutes before your flight to ensure they travel with you.

You don't need to let us know in advance that you’re bringing a larger bag or item, but you must get to the airport early to check it in."
which I'm hoping is still current.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tsg20
Just to check - has anything changed since 2019, or is showing up with a "larger item" still fine as long as it's there sufficiently early (and weighs within the limits)? I'm seeing this on the BA website:

"The maximum dimensions for an oversize bag in the hold are 190 x 75 x 65cm.Bags larger than the standard size but within these maximum dimensions are known as out-of-gauge bags. They're accepted as part of your checked baggage allowance but must be checked in at the out-of-gauge bag drop at least 90 minutes before your flight to ensure they travel with you.

You don't need to let us know in advance that you’re bringing a larger bag or item, but you must get to the airport early to check it in."
which I'm hoping is still current.
Had no issue taking bikes a few weeks ago from EDI-LHR-LJU, they are classed as outsize baggage but we're under the 32kg weight limit. They went on via the outsize baggage lane, and even spent the night in LHR before our flight the next morning. HTH
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The following customers are entitled to a 32kg baggage allowance per bag at no additional charge:
  • First, Club World and Club Europe customers on all routes.
  • British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members.
Now I know that quoting you is comparable to quoting the Bible - but I suspect that this may apply beyond BA. I checked in with IB to fly to Nantes yesterday and checked baggage as we are moving possessions to out new home in Brittany. It weighed 28.5 kg - she just put the "Heavy" tag on it and off it went. I was fully expecting to have to pay and was pleasantly surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.