Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategies for dealing with poor crew in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I wish everyone behaved as rationally on airplanes as some of these post suggest. Let's not pretend there is no emotional aspect to people's responses. Spend 5 minutes in the baggage service office and then tell me there's no emotional element to peoples' reactions!

And to pretend that the environment is equal at 35,000 feet as it is at a high street fast food restaurant is part of the problem, as I explained in my post. What can you do as a passenger? Walk out?

And I wish first class was available for the price of a value meal!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
I wish everyone behaved as rationally on airplanes as some of these post suggest. Let's not pretend there is no emotional aspect to people's responses. Spend 5 minutes in the baggage service office and then tell me there's no emotional element to peoples' reactions!

And to pretend that the environment is equal at 35,000 feet as it is at a high street fast food restaurant is part of the problem, as I explained in my post. What can you do as a passenger? Walk out?

And I wish first class was available for the price of a value meal!
Of course it isn’t the same. But the principles of being on the receiving end of poor service are generally well established the world over. You take it up with the staff in the first instance, then up a level if you don’t achieve satisfaction. I’m not sure why anyone would need to come on an Internet forum to elicit that sort of information.

However the crux of the matter is that there is one rule that’s generally set in stone; that by and large you should have received the poor service to be able to make a complaint about it. Maybe when time travel comes in then we won’t have to.
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Saladman

Hardly a light touch. He hadn’t even taken the flight before he started to criticise it!

And asking for for advice on how to deal with an everyday social situation of the possibility of poor service? Seriously?? Even school children know that if their McDonalds breakfast is not up to par, that they go and speak to the staff!

As for ‘a number of reports of bad service’ how many is a number? 20? 30? There are probably 7000 people a week flying to JNB in the winter, maybe 300,000 a year, so in reality a minuscule percentage who give nebulous and subjective comments such as ‘just doing their job’ (should we expect them not to do their job?)

Also why JNB in particular? Plenty of other routes are MF only so one would expect them to be hit similarly. If it’s just JNB and the crew do a broad spectrum of routes and are not always on JNB trips, then one can only assume that maybe it’s the passengers that are the issue? Maybe their expectations are too high.

This was nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to join in on the bashing MF brigade. They’d read a few anonymous, extremely subjective posts on an Internet forum and then decided that the whole thing was going to be dreadful, so let’s start another bashing thread and see who joins in. I could maybe understand it a bit more if they had taken the flight and were detailing the experience afterwards but this wasn’t even that. They talked about a ‘sub optimal’ experience without having actually experienced it!!! That’s a new first. (Pun intended!)
To be fair, I’d give the OP the benefit of the doubt that they had received sub-par service in the past. The truth is though...there’s nothing we can do about it other than feed back to BA. There is an issue on MF with high turnover of crew and sometimes there aren’t enough F trained staff. On WW, given recruitment closed in, what, 2006? the most junior staff on the plane now have c13 years’ experience and some have many more. On an A380 with 22 or 23 cabin crew you can see the difference. That’s not an attack on MF - they generally try very hard but if you or I were put into a position where we had to work a full F cabin without training, and if all of our colleagues in that cabin had maybe worked in it 2 or 3 times on other aircraft types things are going to run slowly. Where do they keep the tablecloths, what’s this fishy looking thing they’ve loaded? How do A380 ovens compare to 747 ovens. I keep hearing call bells but how do I know what seat they’re in? The CSM don’t forget has service responsibilities in CW after the first bar service (I think). Sometimes there are enough F trained crew & then there shouldn’t be an issue - just the usual everyone is human and will get on well or not so well with other humans and care more or less about doing a good job, which is common across all fleets!

Why JNB? Could be a mix of passenger demographic - perhaps a higher number of FTers so we hear about issues more, could be timing of flight that makes slowness / inexperience shine through and so on. We have similar complaints about WW crewed HKG to LHR flights and the automatic assumption there is ‘hung over legacy crew’. We don’t get complaints about ex-SIN even though departure times are similar.

I maintain that going onto a flight expecting the worst is a recipe for a bad flight, but MF does have its own issues, which are created by BA and entirely within BA’s gift to fix.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Originally Posted by Saladman
Ah excellent. Another ‘let’s trash Mixed Fleet thread’. Oh wait a sec, this one is a bit different - it’s a ‘lets trash Mixed Fleet before I’ve even taken the flight’ thread!

On the basis that the OP was determined not to enjoy the flight right from the start and find fault with it, so there was never going to be a positive trip report, one could argue that actually all the expectations were met therefore the trip was a success and they should put in a letter of praise for all concerned.

Betari’s Box - My attitude affects my behaviour, which affects your attitude and your behaviour etc. Never more appropriate than in this situation.
I have no intention of "trashing" any "fleet" of any kind. I don't know the details about which fleet are on which route and to be honest, I don't care. A BA uniform is a BA uniform!

I am an optimistic person and I generally want to make the best of every flight experience - but I was just telling it like it is. A long delay in a meal service in F is not acceptable, nor is basically having to make your own bed up. Especially having paid good money for it.

It was NOT an issue with crew motivation - they were generally very friendly and happy - but more one of competence and training. I feel the problem came from the crew member in the galley (is one person dedicated to making up the food) - and that may have slowed everything down. But again, it's not complicated and should be fixed.

Is there not a specific F training course for this cabin?? This should be the top-tier premium experience of the airline...

The BA Comair staff in South Africa were considerably more capable - perhaps BA could use those to crew the route and give them some "F" training?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you don't mind me saying so but you come across as being a young leisure traveller. Nothing wrong with that I was one once.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you don't mind me saying so but you come across as being a young leisure traveller. Nothing wrong with that I was one once.
Not really. Late 30s business traveller mainly. This trip was for leisure, but 80% of my long haul flights on BA in CW/F are for work.
And besides, not really sure what that has got to do with it.. had it been a business trip I would have been even more annoyed as the delayed service would have eaten into the valuable sleep time.

The F training of the "Mixed Fleet" crew does need to be looked at.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
I am an optimistic person and I generally want to make the best of every flight experience..
Your thread title was not very optimistic...

God help you when you get to your late 60’s! Just be grateful you’re flying F in you’re late 30’s Many people go through life never flying Business let alone F.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not really. Late 30s business traveller mainly. This trip was for leisure, but 80% of my long haul flights on BA in CW/F are for work.
And besides, not really sure what that has got to do with it.. had it been a business trip I would have been even more annoyed as the delayed service would have eaten into the valuable sleep time.

The F training of the "Mixed Fleet" crew does need to be looked at.
Have you tried other airlines on the routes you fly or do you not get the choice who you fly with?

If not, then I'd just chill and make the best of it rather than sort a 'problem' you can't fix.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have no intention of "trashing" any "fleet" of any kind. I don't know the details about which fleet are on which route and to be honest, I don't care. A BA uniform is a BA uniform!

I am an optimistic person and I generally want to make the best of every flight experience - but I was just telling it like it is. A long delay in a meal service in F is not acceptable, nor is basically having to make your own bed up. Especially having paid good money for it.

It was NOT an issue with crew motivation - they were generally very friendly and happy - but more one of competence and training. I feel the problem came from the crew member in the galley (is one person dedicated to making up the food) - and that may have slowed everything down. But again, it's not complicated and should be fixed.

Is there not a specific F training course for this cabin?? This should be the top-tier premium experience of the airline...

The BA Comair staff in South Africa were considerably more capable - perhaps BA could use those to crew the route and give them some "F" training?
Could you explain that by deciding before you had taken the flight that it was going to be a bad one and asking for advice on how to deal with it, how that fits the definition of ‘optimistic’ and making the ‘best of the flight’? I’m interested to know what you’d think was a pessimistic approach!

And let’s be honest. You weren’t ‘telling it like it is’. You hadn’t taken the flight before you started criticising it.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm curious about the 'we had to make our own bedding' bit. Can you expand a little on what actually happened / the sequence of events? E.g when did you want the bed made, did you ask the crew and did they go to pick up the bedding handed it to you and tell you 'here you go' or something similarly suggesting they were not going to do it themselves? something else?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott

I think we are all lucky you did not fly when they carved a roast at your seat
I think you are paying for the extra room and seats. If you get better service, great. But with the exception of a few asian airlines, first class is the most senior of the FA and while there are some young of hearts still there, most are for your safety only and don't care about your service - esp american airlines
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey

To hopefully set your mind at ease, I fly to Jo’burg almost monthly in F and, in over 50 trips over the past six years, I could count on one hand the number of sectors where the service has been remotely questionable. Certainly no more so than other routes I do regularly.
As I've said many times, everyone has different expectations.
Perhaps you being aware of things and knowing what you want from the off gives you an acceptable experience.
Someone else may believe the "dine on demand, fine wines, first class service" etc. hype and believe that's what they're going to get.

It's handy reading things on these forums that let you know how to handle situations.
If the service is bad, or not up to the standards I expected, and there's something that could be done about it, I want to be prepared. Not saying I would exercise that right, but if there are ways of getting a crew onside from the off, making sure I've eaten early if the food will suck is prone to running out after 2 people etc., it's there.

I generally board a BA plane expecting little more than the bare minimum and generally they don't disappoint. One reason why I rarely fork out ££££ for anything too premium as there's little other than space to differentiate one cabin from another a lot of the time.

As for making my bed, I've done that before in BA F and CX F. Sometimes it's easier for me to do it when I want (and I'm not 100% keen on being waited upon all the time. I can do things for myself like lift a tray, put something in a bin etc.). It's not rocket science putting a quilt over yourself, feeding the seatbelt through holes in the quilt, or removing a pad from an overhead bin / cupboard if required.

Last edited by xenole; Feb 28, 2019 at 6:35 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Maybe it is the wrong comparison, but I hold BA First up to the same standard as when checking into a Four Seasons / Ritz Carlton hotel.

I genuinely did not enter the flight with the assumption it would be bad. I had read on this forum multiple reports about "poor F" experiences and to be honest, most of the other BA First's I have taken have been very good. 8/10 level. But that was on NYC / ATL / LAX / HKG / Tokyo. I had done the JNB route previously myself and found the same experience last time in F.

Perhaps you can know too much in advance, and that can ruin your experience, but I genuinely do not think a 2 hour wait for a re-heated pasta dish (barely better than Tesco Finest in any case) is acceptable in F. I have said other components of the trip - the CCR, the LPGS champers - were excellent.

I just wanted to highlight a specific issue that seemed to be occurring and ask if other people had experienced the same problem - and how they then dealt with it.

For what it is worth, the return flight was excellent in F. The crew did dine on demand, made my bed quickly, slept well and then served an Americano just before landing. So I am not prejudiced and I am happy to give credit where credit is due. This crew seemed a bit older and more experienced. So perhaps it was just a young and inexperienced crew on the day. But even so, I would not take kindly to a 2 hour wait to check into a room at the Four Seasons...

BA - and the staff here - should be trying to RAISE the standards.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The staff here do not represent BA, but knowing the amount of time we spend on here in our own time I am sure that we have very expectations and are highly motivated.
I have recently flown with someone who posts on here and they are exceptional crew member and in my opinion in the top 1% of any crew that I have ever worked with.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For what it is worth, the return flight was excellent in F. The crew did dine on demand, made my bed quickly, slept well and then served an Americano just before landing.
That's great. But how well did you sleep?

Crampedin13A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.