Inspiration using a 2-4-1 Voucher

Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Inspiration using a 2-4-1 Voucher

Hi there,

Looking for some inspiration in using a 2-4-1 voucher and 220,000 Avios this year. I am a teacher and would ideally like to use the voucher at some point when I am off during the summer (ideally for trip of around a week). I finish work at the end of June and don't return until mid-August.

I'll be originating from GLA. I don't really want to go to Africa. I was thinking of New York in F but there is only one outbound flight that matches and it's overnight which doesn't appeal. I was thinking of Toronto but don't know if it's worth while spending a week there. I would like the absolute best experience possible - but realise 'beggars can't be choosers' due to the availability of using the voucher THIS year. I am fine returning Club World if availability isn't there for first.

If anyone could offer some advice, I would appreciate it. I have never flown first class before so am really looking for the best experience. I would love to fly the A380 but don't think anything is available.

Other than Europe, I don't have much worldly experience. I would love to go to Tokyo and the availability is there, however I have done my research and it will be unbearably warm. I hate humidity!

Also was wondering if you can use an Amex card belonging to anyone to pay for the flights or must it be a BA card in the same name as the account that holds the 2-4-1 voucher?

Many thanks for all your suggestions.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP Toronto is a huge metro city with many cultures and cuisines. YO can spend a night at Niagra Falls, (hotels with a full view of the falls, lit up at night). There is wine country around St Catherines,

You can take a train or LCC to Montreal for a combo Franco-Anglo atmosphere with nationalities of the world too.....(driveable too).
Googe it.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
From Toronto and the City airport itself (check the Porter Air website), walkable from some parts of town, you’re just an hours or so flight from Boston (also pretty much a city centre airport), another spot with decent F availability and a nice lounge to make the most of the F experience, so perhaps you can make it a two centre location and do a few nights in each

Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Hi shnprst. My vote would be Boston, and not that it matters but I'm a fellow GLA flier too. I used a chunk of avios to go to Boston two years ago in F, and am using my first 2 4 1 voucher to go back in April again ! And F again too. Boston is a great city, not too big, not too small, in summer it should have great weather and is walkable just about everywhere. Lovely culture, some proper history (for an American city) and if you time it right, you could end up on an A380 too !
Assuming it is summer this year, you've maybe left it a wee bit late, but there should be some availability. Try rewardflightfinder.com for availability, much recommended on here.

I've not been, but Toronto it is lovely too I've heard.

Have a great time wherever you end up, and please come back and let us know where you go and how you got on.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I'd go for a two-centre holiday too. If you don't feel like getting on another flight, Boston is only 2 days drive from Niagara Falls and Toronto, it would give you the opportunity to see some of New England if you prefer the countryside.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
I went to Toronto few years back at the end of the summer holidays with 2 children for a week, stayed at the Sheraton Centre, which is right opposite the Toronto Sign/City hall, has a lovely outdoor pool and deck, which is biggest in central Toronto by all accounts. Once you factor in a day trip to the Falls we didnt run out of things to go to and see.
Great restaurants near by also, and everything is easily walkable, hotel even has direct access to the underground walk way system.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I would agree with the Boston suggestions as well. It’s got lots to offer and is a more pleasant option than NYC during the summer. You could also hire a car and head down to Cape Cod for a few days as well.

There is availability from Mid July through to early August for 2 x F Reward seats. You can fly out on the 777 on Monday 22/07 and back on the a380 on Monday 29/07.

Theres a few other dates as well.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Samaras
I would agree with the Boston suggestions as well. It’s got lots to offer and is a more pleasant option than NYC during the summer. You could also hire a car and head down to Cape Cod for a few days as well.

There is availability from Mid July through to early August for 2 x F Reward seats. You can fly out on the 777 on Monday 22/07 and back on the a380 on Monday 29/07.

Theres a few other dates as well.
Hello there - thank you for the suggestions. I may be sold on Boston! However, I cannot seem to find two first returns flying on the A380? Maybe I am not looking properly.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you everything for the excellent suggestions. Slowly considering Boston. The thing that put me off previously was the Irish influence. I don't mean that in an insulting way, but wondered if it's more like visiting Ireland than America!

I am off 30th March - 14th April and there is good availability there too... but maybe it would be better to hold off until the summer?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I don't think you can connect from GLA to the A380 flight outbound, unless you stay over the night before. It may be available on the return, but also look out for the 787 with a smaller F cabin, or if in J you could go upper deck on the 747 which also operates the route. If you look at options, click on flight "more details" and you should see the planned metal. Note these are subject to change. The last variant is 777.
Does Boston have an Irish influence ? Of course, but also has English, Italian and of course American ! As well as many others. It can be as Irish as you want, or not at all. Boston is set in four distinct quarters, with the north end being predominately Italian. Trust me, you will not think you are in Ireland !!

As well as cape cod, you can also take a train north to Salem, very interesting place. And to Harvard.

BOS also has a fabulous new(ish) lounge for your return home.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP by all means cosider either of or more locations to fly into.
When I started traveling, the factors that I wanted to see or experinces to enjoy decided my plans. YEs I lovetrying new airplanes and will even reposition myself to catch a particular airline / airplane ( did itlast yearto try the QR Q class and they swapped airplanes ).

Boston has a lotof culture butin myopinion the American way melts everyone to join the melting pot. TOronto, Montral keeps its diverse cultures alive and vibrant.

Suggest you delve into touristinfo / guides from each location to see whatappeals to you both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.