FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Cancelled Flight EC261 advice, please (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1957681-cancelled-flight-ec261-advice-please.html)

CoweyB Feb 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Cancelled Flight EC261 advice, please

I was traveling from LCY to MAN this evening but unfortunately the flight was cancelled along with others to GLA and EDI. Some flights did manage to take off.

The reason given was the the fog which closed in tonight and I know that this would normally preclude an EC261 claim from being made but unlike the other flights we were actually called to the gate and there was an E190 parked outside with the lights on!

In the end after half an hour the flight to MAN was notified as cancelled and suddenly the gate became the one for the flight to RTM.

Am I right to assume that if the flight destination was changed from MAN to RTM by BA then that would suggest that the decision to cancel the flight was not really due to the weather but - probably - priorisation for whatever reason to send the plane to RTM not MAN and that an EC261 claim could be made?

That said, I don’t know if the RTM flight (or the later BA ones still scheduled for GLA, DUB and EDI took off or not) did actually fly or not.

Is there anyway I can find that out?

Any thoughts or advice very welcome!

Mwenenzi Feb 22, 2019 4:24 pm

What was the weather in MAN?
Great Circle Mapper

KARFA Feb 22, 2019 4:28 pm

There was fog at LCY and some flights had to be cancelled tho. Perhaps they thought it was better to run the RTM flight rather than a MAN flight - but I don’t see it changes he underlying reason for the cancellation.

Globaliser Feb 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by CoweyB (Post 30811119)
The reason given was the the fog which closed in tonight ...

Am I right to assume that if the flight destination was changed from MAN to RTM by BA then that would suggest that the decision to cancel the flight was not really due to the weather but - probably - priorisation for whatever reason to send the plane to RTM not MAN and that an EC261 claim could be made?

That said, I don’t know if the RTM flight (or the later BA ones still scheduled for GLA, DUB and EDI took off or not) did actually fly or not.

Is there anyway I can find that out?

ba.com will tell you which flights operated and which did not. If you look before midnight, choose the option for looking at all arrivals at LCY and all departures from LCY all day today.

However, although I haven't had any reason to follow it during the day, I suspect the problem was not just "the fog which closed in tonight". There was fog at LCY this morning, and a quick look at ba.com suggests that the whole LCY operation has been a mess all day.

In any case, the change in the plan for that aircraft doesn't mean that your cancellation wasn't due to the weather. If, hypothetically, the consequence of the fog was that the LCY operation only had one aircraft available and there were two flights left in the schedule, one of those flights was inevitably going to be cancelled because of the fog. The fact that the airline originally thought it would operate flight A and cancel flight B, but then changed its mind and cancelled flight A in order to operate flight B instead, doesn't mean that the cancellation wasn't due to the fog.

CoweyB Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm

many thanks for this.

C.

Often1 Feb 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Aircraft assignments are changed all the time. The most common reason would be that the aircraft assigned to perform flight #1 now becomes available to perform flight #2 . Perhaps the aircraft originally schedule to perform #2 is delayed elsewhere and this permits those passengers waiting for destination #2 to get there without a delay,

The alternative would be that OP's aircraft sits overnight with the MAN passengers stuck while the RTM passengers are stuck as well.