Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Irresponsible Parenting or Am I Missing Something?

Closed Thread

Old Feb 22, 19, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I was on a flight in CE today and to my absolute shock, this child was STANDING without a seatbelt on whilst the mother sat on her phone DURING LANDING. Yes actual landing as in touch down. I almost said something but didn't know whether there was a legit reason for this. My guess is absolutely not!

It's been a long day.

Old Feb 22, 19, 4:15 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
IMO that's totally out of order. Kids should be belted into their seats and what the heck was she doing on the phone?
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The child should be belted in for landing, although I will admit that mine is sometimes free until I guess that were 60 seconds from landing (which is usually 3mins too early!).

My little one was going through a wriggly stage, and the crew were very helpful and friendly, but stern when it came to her being sat on my lap for landing.

The child may cry in distress, but it's only for a very short period of time, and other passengers tend to understand!

M
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Spire
It's not only parents. A couple of years back a Saudi on a flight from DXB-RUH stood up and opened the locker above my head when we had just started the take off roll. I told him to sit down more than once before telling him in no uncetain terms. He tried to have me "arrested" by the Saudi authorities (once we landed) for speaking to him in such a manner. Plenty of idiots around who don't understand how easy it is for anyone or anything unrestrained to cause injury to themselves and others
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by eugegall View Post
I almost said something...
I would have most definitely said something. That's very dangerous for the child and others.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:26 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Perhaps the phone was in flight safe mode still. No excuse for the child though
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:33 pm

This is unfortunately one of those "don't touch the stove" moments, parent wont learn until something happens to the child.
Sozee likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:36 pm

I think the answer lies in the foreground...mobile phones and the metaphorical blinkers which are donned when ‘phone is in hand’.

And a question to the OP (and please be honest when answering), was your phone in flight safe mode when you took the picture?
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
They should not have children if they cannot be bothered with safety of their children.
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Where were the CC?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
Where were the CC?
Presumably, the cabin crew had taken their seats for landing.
flygirl68 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post

Presumably, the cabin crew had taken their seats for landing.
So presumably the kid or parent undid his seat belt AFTER the crew made a last sweep of the cabin for seat belts, trays and reclined seats ?
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL/CCR, IHG Spire
There was a guy opposite me on way to BLR the other week - did not switch his phone to flight mode and was quite happily emailing away during take off and climb. I was going to say something but I was tired and not in the mood to get involved.

Selfish people - you can see it everywhere
Old Feb 22, 19, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's club
While the child belongs in its seat and the parents are useless, isnt the seatbelt around the kid. Look closely at the pic. He's standing up with the belt around him I think. Still dangerous as hell but technically don't think they undid the seat belt

So presumably the kid or parent undid his seat belt AFTER the crew made a last sweep of the cabin for seat belts, trays and reclined seats ?
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'd say so. I've seen it quite a lot. Cabin crew members take a seat after eventually settling the child down despite the lack of intervention from the child's parent(s), and the child promptly undoes his/her seat belt and gets up to something, without intervention from his/her parent again.

I've had to intervene from time to time, without undoing my seat belt (no intention of causing a go-around for 'cabin not secure' here). Sadly, some parents do not seem to think to keep their children under control even though it is in their interest (and their child's) to keep them under control and buckled in. (Note: I'm just a normal bystander passenger)

Sharp braking sometimes happens and it's not a good thing to be out of their seat.

I had to get involved in a situation where the parents of a child who did something very similar (told to keep the seat belt fastened and keep their child fully belted up and make sure they do not stand up etc., but the child undid his seat belt and got up, and parents did nothing, then the child fell off the chair during braking) and hurt himself (thankfully not severely), and the parents turned round and sued the airline (it wasn't BA). I'm pleased to report the parents lost and they were told off quite sternly for failing to supervise their child and for blaming someone else for their failure to fulfil their obligations.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 23, 19 at 1:09 am

Search this Thread