Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Irresponsible Parenting or Am I Missing Something?

Irresponsible Parenting or Am I Missing Something?

Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eugegall
Exactly this.

Phone wasn't off at all. Just in flight mode! Funny how some people need to assume to turn on others so quickly. Biggest negative about this forum!

In any case I'm a casual pilot myself and have a keen understanding on the importance on safety in commercial aviation so this isn't up for debate.
Flight mode on phones is a whole different topic but totally overrated. I'm a private pilot and my instructors and I fly with our phones on normally they don't interfere with any instruments or navigation systems, very very rarely you hear the "dit dit dit" in the headset from the itnerfeinterand if that occurs then we switch to flight mode. Not wearing a seat belt is a much more serious infraction
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Sad coincidence, saw a very similar scene on a flybe to Manchester just an hour ago. Little girl (3?) with belt strapped so loose it's useless stood on her knees looking out the window for touchdown. Mum wasn't on phone, simply completely fine with it... thought of saying something then decided against it.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
It's not only parents. A couple of years back a Saudi on a flight from DXB-RUH stood up and opened the locker above my head when we had just started the take off roll. I told him to sit down more than once before telling him in no uncetain terms. He tried to have me "arrested" by the Saudi authorities (once we landed) for speaking to him in such a manner. Plenty of idiots around who don't understand how easy it is for anyone or anything unrestrained to cause injury to themselves and others
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I have seen that plenty of time in Arabian countries; especially with Arabian families. CC were almost all time to scared to say anything as the 'family might be a member of the ruling family and I don't like to loose my job' - told to me by both EK & QA crew members during a private conversation.
Not just the Arabs but Indians also. I remember once being on a QR flight to India when passengers started walking up the isle as soon as the aircraft had touched down and still on the runway. Then there was a trip report (I think on OMAAT) where passengers in business class on an AI flight had reclined into bed mode and gone to sleep while taxing for take off.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think what the OP meant was "very shortly after[,] (i.e. after that, afterwards) turned it on." So it had been in flight safe mode for landing and then she turned it on. Nobody turns off phones these days on airplanes (as in complete shut downs); we just put them in flight safe mode.

I do.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Bad parents.
1. Daily hundreds of thousand of children travel around the world. I would guess, a substantial number of children misbehave (tantrums, kicking the seat, standing up, poking the overhead light switches etc). I don't consider crying as bad behavior (you can't blame a hungry or hurting or otherwise uncomfortable child for crying). In most cases, parents are to blame.
2. Early morning or very late night flights put children in discomfort. Lack of sleep, having dragged out of bed to catch an early flight or disrupting sleep is a problem.
3. Lack of respect for property (airlines's), parents themselves disobeying the laws, ignorance, plain uncouth behavior problems. I have seen adults taking airline property with them-they were not just from any poor or third world country.. Passengers standing up before the plane lands is a major problem for non-US airlines. I have seen this across the board, not just from one particular country. People from many countries don't have any concept of safety or the laws.
5. Airline industry ignores children-I don't know what percent of passengers are children. Other than a TV cartoon on the screen on longer flights, there is very little for children to do. High sugar beverages that parents force on their kids add to hyper activity.
6. Civic sense and respect for others' property, adjusting to a confined space, behavior in an adult dominated environment etc should be taught both in schools as well as by parents.
7. When I was a kid (even as an adult), I was in awe with pilots and the crew. A little bit of interaction of FA/Pilot with kids go a long way. I have noted that kids who were given plastic airline wings bring a smile from parents as well as kids.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Message to the Op; do yourself a favour and don't be taking pictures in a public arena like that, especially of kids. Clearly you had specific intentions and reasons to do so, however, someone else might not have known this and as a result, the situation could have blown out of all proportion. The last thing you want to be accused of is being a nonce.

You may not agree with the situation, you might not like the situation. Don't try to Police the situation.
The_Bouncer and dougzz like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally wouldn't get all worked up about it....the mobile users would annoy me more to be honest.

Then again on a daily basis here I see a mother and child or three riding pillion on a motor bike all without crash helmets. That isn't what annoys me though it's the fact that the police do sod all about it.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paul78
I think the answer lies in the foreground...mobile phones and the metaphorical blinkers which are donned when ‘phone is in hand’.

And a question to the OP (and please be honest when answering), was your phone in flight safe mode when you took the picture?
Not at this moment because I had to quickly whip my phone out of my pocket to grab this photo! Very shortly after I turned it on!
Exactly this.

Phone wasn't off at all. Just in flight mode! Funny how some people need to assume to turn on others so quickly. Biggest negative about this forum!

In any case I'm a casual pilot myself and have a keen understanding on the importance on safety in commercial aviation so this isn't up for debate.
To be clear I didn't turn on anyone, quickly or otherwise. I think the whole phone thing is rubbish, but it's the rule. If someone says "very shortly after I turned it on" I'm going to assume it was previously off. Phones in flight mode have working cameras, they don't require a network connection for the camera to function.

Personally as said above, I'd be more concerned about someone taking pictures of other peoples kids.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I would raise an eyebrow, shake my head and perhaps audibly tut, but thinking it was absolutely shocking and warranted a photo, no.
dougzz likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not only bad parenting but bad adulting also. Clearly that person has no concern for the safety of the child or anything else for that matter... except what is on her phone and that should have been off or in Flight Mode for landing. Makes me so angry I could slam the phone down (!).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
I flew Garuda the other day, we took off with laptops on and people working on them, it was a first for me, lol...Phones on is common in the US, people are checking email well into climb out and 10 minutes before landing.
A year ago, on short-haul BA flight I was in front seat second cabin 767, aisle seat in middle 3. Gentleman next to me kept on working on his laptop during descent. Cabin crew did not say anything during final check. I asked him to please turn it off and put it away. He ignored me so I got up (as cabin crew was already seated) and walked into galley to alert cabin crew (who first got really upset with me for having got up until I told him what was wrong). I was really upset as with hard landing or braking laptop might have flown off and hit either him or some other passenger (including me). I did talk to captain on my way out and made it clear that this was completely unacceptable (one of the benefits of BA is that captain typically stands in cockpit door during deplaning, which allows to flag these issues), Captain agreed and promised to talk to cabin crew in question. I was considering reporting incident to BA, but was reassured by response of captain!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Message to the Op; do yourself a favour and don't be taking pictures in a public arena like that, especially of kids. Clearly you had specific intentions and reasons to do so, however, someone else might not have known this and as a result, the situation could have blown out of all proportion. The last thing you want to be accused of is being a nonce.

You may not agree with the situation, you might not like the situation. Don't try to Police the situation.
I actually hadn't thought of this, but you're right. Especially if you are male, actions (however innocent) can be so easily misconstrued. This is also a very easy, convenient and effective arrow for a parent to sling in any dispute, even if it is 100% clear that there is no nefarious intent.

Unfortunately, in situations like this, the only sensible thing to do is just turn the other cheek. The parent's behaviour is not going to improve with your intervention, however well meaning, and you risk getting yourself involved in a very nasty confrontation.

Sad, but true.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
A year ago, on short-haul BA flight I was in front seat second cabin 767, aisle seat in middle 3. Gentleman next to me kept on working on his laptop during descent. Cabin crew did not say anything during final check. I asked him to please turn it off and put it away. He ignored me so I got up (as cabin crew was already seated) and walked into galley to alert cabin crew (who first got really upset with me for having got up until I told him what was wrong). I was really upset as with hard landing or braking laptop might have flown off and hit either him or some other passenger (including me). I did talk to captain on my way out and made it clear that this was completely unacceptable (one of the benefits of BA is that captain typically stands in cockpit door during deplaning, which allows to flag these issues), Captain agreed and promised to talk to cabin crew in question. I was considering reporting incident to BA, but was reassured by response of captain!
Your upset was misplaced. You created a far greater risk by standing up and walking to the galley than the laptop posed to you. Did that not occur to you at the time?

By all means, speak to cabin or flightdeck crew when disembarking.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:44 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Btw find it really interesting there are multiple criticisms on the mom. Is the dad not the one sitting next to the kid? And from the posture turned towards kid/window even thought phone is out?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
On the subject of mobile phones, whilst the minority of people will have their phones on "flight mode", a lot of people don't! How many times have you heard dings/alerts go off when the plane is on approach?
WickedStepMother likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.