Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Irresponsible Parenting or Am I Missing Something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Irresponsible Parenting or Am I Missing Something?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
This photo was taken literally 3 seconds are touch down and there wasn't any seatbelt on that I could see. I'm 99% sure there wasn't one on him at all.

We often hear about car crashed when three 18 year olds have been killed because they weren't wearing seatbelts and I know each and every single one of us say "what...who doesn't wear a seatbelt?".

Well ladies and gentlemen. it starts right here. This moment in this kids life may spell his future out for him. Mum thinks its ok not to wear a seatbelt on a plane so car must be ok...right! This is why those 18 year olds die because they weren't wearing seat belts. This decision right here!

My guess is that if I witnessed this, then the kid is probably in a car without one on a regular basis too.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul78
I think the answer lies in the foreground...mobile phones and the metaphorical blinkers which are donned when ‘phone is in hand’.

And a question to the OP (and please be honest when answering), was your phone in flight safe mode when you took the picture?
Not at this moment because I had to quickly whip my phone out of my pocket to grab this photo! Very shortly after I turned it on!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:57 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Is this not the seatbelt

Originally Posted by eugegall
This photo was taken literally 3 seconds are touch down and there wasn't any seatbelt on that I could see. I'm 99% sure there wasn't one on him at all.

We often hear about car crashed when three 18 year olds have been killed because they weren't wearing seatbelts and I know each and every single one of us say "what...who doesn't wear a seatbelt?".

Well ladies and gentlemen. it starts right here. This moment in this kids life may spell his future out for him. Mum thinks its ok not to wear a seatbelt on a plane so car must be ok...right! This is why those 18 year olds die because they weren't wearing seat belts. This decision right here!

My guess is that if I witnessed this, then the kid is probably in a car without one on a regular basis too.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by eugegall
Not at this moment because I had to quickly whip my phone out of my pocket to grab this photo! Very shortly after I turned it on!
Why not flight safe before you turn it off, so it comes on in flight safe mode. Should you have turned it on knowing it wasn’t in flight safe mode? Did you think the photo op more important than the rule, or is it seatbeat rule important, flight safe mode not? I’m not trying to bait you, it’s just interesting how one thing warrants a post on FT and the other you were comfortable with.

As for the child that’s just how things are. Every day I see people on phones ignoring their children, being on a plane is not going to change that.
simonrp84 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I flew Garuda the other day, we took off with laptops on and people working on them, it was a first for me, lol...Phones on is common in the US, people are checking email well into climb out and 10 minutes before landing.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by dougzz

Why not flight safe before you turn it off, so it comes on in flight safe mode. Should you have turned it on knowing it wasn’t in flight safe mode? Did you think the photo op more important than the rule, or is it seatbeat rule important, flight safe mode not? I’m not trying to bait you, it’s just interesting how one thing warrants a post on FT and the other you were comfortable with.

As for the child that’s just how things are. Every day I see people on phones ignoring their children, being on a plane is not going to change that.

I think what the OP meant was "very shortly after[,] (i.e. after that, afterwards) turned it on." So it had been in flight safe mode for landing and then she turned it on. Nobody turns off phones these days on airplanes (as in complete shut downs); we just put them in flight safe mode.
eugegall likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I think sestbelts are one thing, phones are another - ie separate issues.

Is it irresponsible parenting? I’m not going to judge; I wasn’t there. If the kid didn’t have a seatbelt on then they should have, but how many times were they told? I think, sometimes, kids only learn when something goes wrong and they get hurt, unfortunately. We also don’t know whether the child had some kind of behavioural / development disability.

You see it all the time “don’t play there”, 10 seconds later “don’t play there”, ten seconds later lots of crying. You have to have eyes in the back of your head sometimes & kids will be kids. On this occasion, no harm done. I’m not a parent but it always strikes me that the best parents are the ones who engage with rather than ignore their kids & follow through if kid is not listening the first time they are told to / not to do something. If they were told & got away with it then it’ll reinforce completely the wrong message. What I also know is parents are human too & sometimes it’s easier to let things slide.

On the phone, no way of knowing if parent’s phone was in flight safe mode!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
I think what the OP meant was "very shortly after[,] (i.e. after that, afterwards) turned it on." So it had been in flight safe mode for landing and then she turned it on. Nobody turns off phones these days on airplanes (as in complete shut downs); we just put them in flight safe mode.
Exactly this.

Phone wasn't off at all. Just in flight mode! Funny how some people need to assume to turn on others so quickly. Biggest negative about this forum!

In any case I'm a casual pilot myself and have a keen understanding on the importance on safety in commercial aviation so this isn't up for debate.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lehava
Is this not the seatbelt
It may have been but if I was a betting man I'd say no, but I can't say with absolute certainty.

I also saw zero parenting and we were watching for a solid couple of minutes in absolute shock. Myself or my wife never saw the mum tell the kid to sit down.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Given this looks like Club Europe seating, I’m waiting for this to develop into another ‘Should children be allowed in Business Class?’ thread
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Parents on phones is one of my bugbears - it deprives children of personal interaction.
When I was a child - a veeery long time ago I would stand on the front bench seat of the car with a toy steering wheel which was made to be used in exactly that way. What it didn’t do was make me a ‘risk taking’ adult.
The photo does seem to show a seat belt but I would question it’s efficacy with that much slack.
I have seen a lot of things but not this ! Shocking.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Disgraceful but, unfortunately, all too common.

No, don't intervene. The idiot parent will learn nothing and you will just get a mouthful of abuse. Pick your battles.
muji and eugegall like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think sestbelts are one thing, phones are another - ie separate issues.

Is it irresponsible parenting? I’m not going to judge; I wasn’t there. If the kid didn’t have a seatbelt on then they should have, but how many times were they told? I think, sometimes, kids only learn when something goes wrong and they get hurt, unfortunately. We also don’t know whether the child had some kind of behavioural / development disability.

You see it all the time “don’t play there”, 10 seconds later “don’t play there”, ten seconds later lots of crying. You have to have eyes in the back of your head sometimes & kids will be kids. On this occasion, no harm done. I’m not a parent but it always strikes me that the best parents are the ones who engage with rather than ignore their kids & follow through if kid is not listening the first time they are told to / not to do something. If they were told & got away with it then it’ll reinforce completely the wrong message. What I also know is parents are human too & sometimes it’s easier to let things slide.

On the phone, no way of knowing if parent’s phone was in flight safe mode!
Best post on this thread.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Someone above said they arent going to judge.

Well, as a parent I am going to judge. This parent was completely irresponsible.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Parents on phones is one of my bugbears - it deprives children of personal interaction.
When I was a child - a veeery long time ago I would stand on the front bench seat of the car with a toy steering wheel which was made to be used in exactly that way. What it didn’t do was make me a ‘risk taking’ adult.
The photo does seem to show a seat belt but I would question it’s efficacy with that much slack.
I have seen a lot of things but not this ! Shocking.
I have seen that plenty of time in Arabian countries; especially with Arabian families. CC were almost all time to scared to say anything as the 'family might be a member of the ruling family and I don't like to loose my job' - told to me by both EK & QA crew members during a private conversation.

btw - good to see that there is someone else from Balham in this forum
missdimeaner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.