Search

Flight to Florence cancelled and moved

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Flight to Florence cancelled and moved

Hi,

I've just received an email saying my 12:15 flight from Stansted to Florence on 15th June has been cancelled and they have moved us to London City at 07:15.

I guess the message is like it or lump it (refund)?

Apart from the novelty of STN with BA it is the most convenient airport for us and a flight at a reasonable hour with good lounges and an empty middle seat.

Now I in effect have to cough up for a hotel at an airport (otherwise I am relying on one train and two DLR's - if I can even get down there early enough but a high risk approach) with no lounge on a smaller aircraft with no empty middle seat. Not the best start to our nice getaway.

I expect there is hee haw chance of getting any other resolution i.e. accommodation
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Hi,

I've just received an email saying my 12:15 flight from Stansted to Florence on 15th June has been cancelled and they have moved us to London City at 07:15.

Apart from the novelty of STN with BA it is the most convenient airport for us and a flight at a reasonable hour with good lounges and an empty middle seat.

Now I in effect have to cough up for a hotel at an airport (otherwise I am relying on one train and two DLR's - if I can even get down there early enough but a high risk approach) with no lounge on a smaller aircraft with no empty middle seat. Not the best start to our nice getaway.

I expect there is hee haw chance of getting any other resolution i.e. accommodation
If it lessens the pain of the change at all, your STN-FLR flight would have been operated by the same plane type as the LCY-FLR flight (CityFlyer E190), so no middle seat on either of them!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You can get a full refund (handy if a new booking/routing is cheaper than what you previously had). You can also be rerouted if there's a BA/partner routing to FLR that's more convenient (though I doubt it!).

There was no empty middle seat on your STN-FLR, as it's the same aircraft type that operates LCY-FLR.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, this is not "like it or lump it," it is simply auto-rebooking. By BA policy, contract and EC 261/2004, you have three options: 1. Cancel for a full refund; 2. Reroute under substantially similar circumstances or 3. Reroute at a later date. As the change occurs outside 14 days, there is no compensation.

Thus, you should do the research to determine the best reroute for you (or whether you wish to cancel and simply purchase something else, perhaps for less).

With that in hand, call BA and be prepared to advise of the options you wish. The easier you make this, the more likely it is to happen your way.

BA unlikely to reimburse miscellaneous expenses, but many travel insurance policies will cover.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Hi,

I fear your overall assessment of the situation is correct.

Not quite sure about the empty middle seat issue, however, since whether going from STN or LCY the plane would be an EMB which is 2-2 seating irrespective of travel class. Also uncertain about which good lounges you refer to at STN!

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Btw Vueling has Luton to Florence on the same day at 13.25.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks all and sorry for the aircraft assumption error; schoolboy!

The good lounges are STN are good as they exist! Having not been in one that was my best guess that something is better than nothing.

Luton a no go as we would have to drive and we are coming back in to LCY on the Tuesday

So I can look at other LONDON to Florence flights and see if BA would put me on them. I will have to take a look and maybe call BA AMEX to see if they can help with a hotel.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by richardwft
Btw Vueling has Luton to Florence on the same day at 13.25.
Vueling? That’s a nasty thing to inflict on the OP - there’s no one I dislike enough to ‘recommend’ vueling to.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london

Vueling? That’s a nasty thing to inflict on the OP - there’s no one I dislike enough to ‘recommend’ vueling to.
Indeed. Luton + Vueling - could be some kind of purgatory for travellers
cauchy and ajamieson like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Vueling at 4:05 non stop from LGW. Or the Luton flight at 1:25. The best connections on Iberia via MAD are still 7 hours of flying and transfer time.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold BAEC Avios Marriott Gold
Why not look at flights to Pisa?
The railway station is just outside the terminal with trains to Florence via Pisa Centrale.

Ryanair from Stansted at 14:45 costs £43 on 15 Jun

Last edited by mark2; Feb 23, 2019 at 3:58 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
People knock them but The Travelodge at London City isn’t bad especially if you get one of their Plus rooms then it’s a short walk to the terminal or a minute on the bus for £1.50 with an oyster or contactless card. If you are looking for something different you have Aloft, Novotel, Ibis and Premier Inn at the Excel or indeed the Holiday Inn/Staybridge Suites in Stratford linked by direct DLR.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
People knock them but The Travelodge at London City isn’t bad especially if you get one of their Plus rooms then it’s a short walk to the terminal or a minute on the bus for £1.50 with an oyster or contactless card. If you are looking for something different you have Aloft, Novotel, Ibis and Premier Inn at the Excel or indeed the Holiday Inn/Staybridge Suites in Stratford linked by direct DLR.
The majority of the hotels are the other side of the water and there seems to be a large not particularly pedestrian with bags friendly walk over said water?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mark2
Why not look at flights to Pisa?
The railway station is just outside the terminal with trains to Florence via Pisa Centrale.

Ryanair from Stansted at 14:45 costs £43 on 15 Jun
I don't think that idea would fly with Ms RR, on my own I'd consider a train.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Oh I forgot to ask does anyone know what has happened to my flight from Stansted in June?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.