Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight to Florence cancelled and moved

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I don't think that idea would fly with Ms RR, on my own I'd consider a train.
There are also direct buses from outside the terminal at PSA to Florence which are both comfortable and reliable.

Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The majority of the hotels are the other side of the water and there seems to be a large not particularly pedestrian with bags friendly walk over said water?
I suspect a cab wouldn’t be much or you can get a bus from Prince Regent Bus Station (which is walker friendly even with bags) to City Airport every few minutes for again Ł1.50 pp by contactless or oyster

Cityflyer have also cancelled the MAN-ALC flights some days, maybe there was a more lucrative use for the air frame or they just learnt that delays on such a closely packed schedule causes awful irrops and are just remove pressure points to make it easier this summer.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:00 pm

My best guess is they've cancelled these off peak Saturday AM flights to avoid having to position an extra crew to operate them. The aircraft arrives the night before but the same crew can rest then before resuming the schedule in the afternoon

as KeaneJohn says, last year was a very ambitious schedule and the resulting delays and cancellations were a real headache

+1 for either the Travelodge (you can walk to the airport) or Ryanair - once you arrive there are plenty of coaches for a few Euros (don't bother prebooking then you can pick whichever leaves soonest) - absolutely simple so your wife shouldn't be too worried
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFB_london
Vueling? That’s a nasty thing to inflict on the OP - there’s no one I dislike enough to ‘recommend’ vueling to.
Not really a recommendation. Vueling is generally a ‘cancellado’ airline and Florence airport seems to close if there’s a little bit of a wind blowing.

When the new Bologna airport mover opens http://www.marconiexpress.it/calendario-lavori it could be a good option for Florence.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Feb 23, 2019 at 3:06 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I spoke with BA today and as suspected their only suggestion was a re-routing via Madrid or Edinburgh taking 7 hours or a refund.

I asked if they could at least move my other half to sit with me (blue) and that was too much for them as well. They screw up your trip then are too tight to waive a Ł22 seating charge. Loyalty is dead; I am not a happy bunny at total screw you customer.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft

Not really a recommendation. Vueling is generally a ‘cancellado’ airline and Florence airport seems to close if there’s a little bit of a wind blowing.

When the new Bologna airport mover opens Calendario lavori | Marconi Express it could be a good option for Florence.
I lived in Florence for a year and actually Bologna is already quite good if you get the connections right on the high speed trains. Faster than the train to Pisa, snd infinitely preferable to the bus, too.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I spoke with BA today and as suspected their only suggestion was a re-routing via Madrid or Edinburgh taking 7 hours or a refund.

I asked if they could at least move my other half to sit with me (blue) and that was too much for them as well.
If your partner is on the same reservation as you, and you are Silver, I don't see what the problem is, you can seat them next to you. So why not look at something like LHR-BLQ and then the train? BA will say the (low) train cost is for your own pocket - but it's not actually correct, EC261 protects you here if they can't come up with a sensible FLR service. Then engineer it so that you are both on the same booking.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:49 pm

I used to fly to Florence a lot and half the time the flights would end up in Pisa anyway due to weather conditions (wind, fog etc.), and then you'd end up on a bus to Pisa, but rather than quickly jumping on the bus outside the terminal the airline would take a while to arrange things (despite it happening all too frequently) so you would wish you had bought the ticket to Pisa at a fraction of the price you had paid for Florence. I think BA's record is a little better than this but as someone else mentioned, Florence is really susceptible to the weather. Also there are issues in summer, e.g. if you take a full Vueling flight and it's warm, they will offload a few people and leave literally all of the luggage behind (HBO is the way to go!) and conveniently not tell anyone about the bags until arrival at the destination.

You can also go for the Pisa mover and train combination if you're averse to a bus, but it takes the same amount of time give or take.

Catscall is right - Bologna is very handy, especially since you have a choice of high speed trains (italo and trenitalia) which only take just over half an hour.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:02 pm

The other advantage of flying to Pisa is that it's switching to T3 from 31 March so you get to enjoy the Cathay lounge

P.s. If you do go for Pisa and opt for the bus, it is run by Autostradale and you can get tickets here. I think there may be another service but I can't remember what it's called.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
The majority of the hotels are the other side of the water and there seems to be a large not particularly pedestrian with bags friendly walk over said water?
There is also a recently built Premier Inn situated on the edge of the new trendy Royal Arsenal Riverside development in Woolwich which is two stops further along (and the terminus) on the DLR. It’s a three/four minute walk from the DLR exit.

A room starts from Ł36.50 if you book well in advance.

There is an exceptionally good Italian restaurant four minutes walk away called Con Gusto that seats only 24 people in a round 18th century guard house on the Royal Arsenal development as well as very interesting Eritrean (Blue Nile) and Tibetan restaurants (Kailish Momo) just off the General Gordon Square in Woolwich town centre, about five minutes away.

See Tripadvisor for reviews etc.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by CoweyB

There is also a recently built Premier Inn situated on the edge of the new trendy Royal Arsenal Riverside development in Woolwich which is two stops further along (and the terminus) on the DLR. It’s a three/four minute walk from the DLR exit.

A room starts from Ł36.50 if you book well in advance.

There is an exceptionally good Italian restaurant four minutes walk away called Con Gusto that seats only 24 people in a round 18th century guard house on the Royal Arsenal development as well as very interesting Eritrean (Blue Nile) and Tibetan restaurants (Kailish Momo) just off the General Gordon Square in Woolwich town centre, about five minutes away.

See Tripadvisor for reviews etc.
w

Alas my other half is on a different PNR and she is blue at the moment.

I will check out the Premier Inn thank you for the info, we like their beds and do like Italian food. We could do a comparison between Wollwich Italian and that of Florence!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Alas my other half is on a different PNR and she is blue at the moment.
Have you checked the cost of a new booking? If so you can just ask for a full refund, and then rebook on the same booking together. The problem here as I see it wasn't anything other than that for you to exercise your Silver privileges you need to be on the same booking. This would have been the case on the initial flight too so presumably you paid for seat reservations there, and this would be refundable. On an Embraer there aren't really any bad seats so regardless I would expect two good seats being available somehow, perhaps via your Theoeretical Seating block, so just select a seat for yourself three quarters of the way down the cabin.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by catscall

I lived in Florence for a year and actually Bologna is already quite good if you get the connections right on the high speed trains. Faster than the train to Pisa, snd infinitely preferable to the bus, too.
While the train journey is quicker from Bologna the time to get from the airport to the station by bus is much longer and less frequent and the total cost is noticeably higher. Just yesterday it took me 65 minutes to get from Florence station to PSA airport (on an inclusive ticket) and that was with having to take the replacement bus from Pisa Centrale because the Pisa Mover is out of action this week.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
.... the time to get from the airport to the station by bus is much longer and less frequent and the total cost is noticeably higher....
This may change when the Marconi Express opens this Spring.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by richardwft

This may change when the Marconi Express opens this Spring.

Yes - any opening date yet?

I hope it will be possible to purchase rail tickets including the shuttle as it is at PSA. That is a very useful facility.

EDIT: Seem to be conflicting opening dates online ranging from March to June. I recall the Pisa Mover opening being endlessly delayed.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Feb 28, 2019 at 2:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.