Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:23 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If F passengers desire expensive wine then they'll have to pay for it. I don't see why those sitting further down the back should have to subsidise it.
Other way round... it’s typically banded around that 50% of an airlines profit comes from the 20% of F/J passengers. On a legacy carrier flying a competitive route the back cabin is a loss leader it’s just there to defray costs of getting the plane there.

Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by amt
Other way round... it’s typically banded around that 50% of an airlines profit comes from the 20% of F/J passengers. On a legacy carrier flying a competitive route the back cabin is a loss leader it’s just there to defray costs of getting the plane there.
From a BA investor day a few years ago, they said WT covers the operating costs, such as fuel and staff. WT+ is the most profitable cabin per square foot of floor space, CW makes the bulk of the profit and F breaks even. It was an reversed relationship, that 14% of the seats generate 41% of the profit.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
While I dont agree that the cost of a bottle of wine equates to how it tastes, I'd like to think that in BA First I would be served wines that maybe aren't on sale on my local supermarket. Mind you, could say the same about Dom Perignon...
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Yes. You are talking about an airline cabin, not a high end restaurant. Plus I wouldn't exactly call it bargain booze, really that is just Daily Mail guff.
Someone should tell BA marketing...
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl
Whilst your dining in the air may not me a high end restaurant when it is being marketed as fine dining you certainly need the right wine to complement the meal. Would you not take a say a Chateau Margaux 83 over supermarkets finest?
Yes, but it wasn't the point being made. Just because it is sold in a supermarket or it costs say Ł20 doesn't make it a bad wine.

If price is your only measure of quality then this is probably the wrong debate for you.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, but it wasn't the point being made. Just because it is sold in a supermarket or it costs say Ł20 doesn't make it a bad wine.
There are plenty of cheap good wines indeed. That said, again, we are not talking about the average bottle price here but about a level of exclusion. Here BA are saying that any bottle above a supermarket price of about Ł15 will not be considered at all. That actually limits you to specific wine types and 'taste' (notably those not intended to age which by nature require a lot more work in terms of how they are grown).

There is a very practical consequence here: some of the high quality red Bordeaux wines that we are seeing in F at the moment will be the last of their types as they were bought years ago and they won't meet the price criterion, so we are not talking about a criticism of the current wine menu but about how the current purchasing requirements will exclude some of the current wine types in coming years, because even bought en primeur you won't be able to touch those at that exclusion price.

PS: I would also venture the guess that a number of F passengers do know he difference between an aged Claret and a fresh and fruity new world wine or between a vintage Champagne and a Spumanti despite some Champagne being totally pointless
Gastrocnemius and Oaxaca like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
While I dont agree that the cost of a bottle of wine equates to how it tastes, I'd like to think that in BA First I would be served wines that maybe aren't on sale on my local supermarket. Mind you, could say the same about Dom Perignon...
Well, if one believes the Daily Mail (in an article last Friday on house prices), our local post office in Cobham sells Dom Perignon...

Doc Copper
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:11 am

It’s not the cost, it’s the taste and the care

I really don’t mind what it costs but I do hope someone who knows a bit about wine and drinking wine in the confines of a plane has chosen the wine selection with care and thought. I guess that’s why some of Asian carriers use the old BA selection methods. I find my self more and more likely to choose a carrier other than BA for long haul - if it wasn’t based on the UK I probably wouldn’t use at all.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
There are plenty of cheap good wines indeed. That said, again, we are not talking about the average bottle price here but about a level of exclusion. Here BA are saying that any bottle above a supermarket price of about Ł15 will not be considered at all. That actually limits you to specific wine types and 'taste' (notably those not intended to age which by nature require a lot more work in terms of how they are grown).
That is if you assume the article is correct......
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Ah, indeed, very true. If it is incorrect, my comments certainly don't stand. That said, I have personally no reason to assume a mistake (or deliberate mischaracterisation).
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I am personally a little dubious that €6 ex-cellar really is the cut off price for current F wine purchases. I struggle to believe that even seńor Cruz on his most fanatical cost cutting day could think it was a suitable price point for sourcing F wine. Then again, Villa Maria in F?

Perhaps this is historical? BA seem to have belatedly realised that they need to improve F food and beverage, particularly on the back on the CW improvements. I would hope/expect that to translate into a realistic budget.

FWIW, I think the days of first and second growths are well and truely over.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Why would the author lie considering everything went downhill after the new system came into place?

I do wonder however if the quality of wine (if it can) will fall further if a trade deal for Brexit is not finalised as costs wlll dramatically rise
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl
Why would the author lie considering everything went downhill after the new system came into place?

I do wonder however if the quality of wine (if it can) will fall further if a trade deal for Brexit is not finalised as costs wlll dramatically rise
The author hasn't been involved with BA for almost 10 years. So I would consider the content worthy of cross examination. Especially as the F wine list is published and the prices are there to be judged (that is if price is your fairly narrow minded measure of quality).

Still, you seem determined to attack BA at every opportunity so why don't you share with us what the buying policy actually is?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:54 pm

Especially as the F wine list is published and the prices are there to be judged
That's a bit more complicated than that. When you see a 2006 or 2008 classified growth from the various Haut Medoc regions appellations or from St Emilion, it is not a wine that has been purchased by BA this year, last year, or even 2 years ago as it would be extremely expensive by then (not 13/11 years ago either, but several years ago). So while JR's assertions may be right or wrong, they are actually entirely compatible with the wine lists as we see them now. If she is correct, the disappearance of some wine types would only become apparent in several years from now.

And price is not a narrow criterion of quality. It is merely a determinant of which type of wine you will get. One could of course decide that F passengers should content themselves with very pleasant wines that are meant to be drunk fairly young, fresh, fruity, entirely enjoyable for what they are and forget about the more complex 'classic' wines that take a lot more time and effort to produce, represent higher risk for the producer and are intended to age, but that would be a fairly bold step to take and one which would certainly annoy a significant portion of the traditional F customer base (another portion would undoubtedly be completely indifferent admittedly!) and quite a few of the rare F pax who spend a lot of money to fly F because they want their experience to be "special" (this is just another version of the frequent FT discussion on whether F should offer burgers or lobsters. I happen to think it should offer both as I think some people are entitled to expect luxury in F and others just as entitled to want comfort and "homeliness").

I'm sure that many will disagree, but personally, I have the same feeling about wines. I am quite happy for BA and any other to propose a few very approachable wines which are exactly what a lot of people enjoy, but I do think that in F and to an extent in J, they should also offer some more "classic" options. I actually think that BA often tends to get this right in J though I'm still unsure how they balance the different wines offered on a menu (my last couple of trips just had two very similar Austrian whites for no particular reason. I like Austrian whites btw and enjoyed them both, but they were really in the same style). In F, I just find the wine menus very unequal, some months, they are very good, other times very disappointing. I had two F trips in the last couple of weeks and found the Meursault very good but the other wines that I tried very uninspiring and the sweet wine on offer outright unpleasant.
Sealink, oxtailsoup and daftboy like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 24, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That's a bit more complicated than that. When you see a 2006 or 2008 classified growth from the various Haut Medoc regions appellations or from St Emilion, it is not a wine that has been purchased by BA this year, last year, or even 2 years ago as it would be extremely expensive by then (not 13/11 years ago either, but several years ago). So while JR's assertions may be right or wrong, they are actually entirely compatible with the wine lists as we see them now.
But the point is surely that people should be concerned with the quality of the wine being served today. Not the price when it was bought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.