Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by orbitmic

In the less expensive range by the way, I'm always surprised that Ruinart never seems to make it to the airlines. It is another house I personally love.
Totally agree,
krispy84 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:24 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by simons1

All very interesting but it wasn't my point.

What I mean here is my suspicion is many people who come on here complaining about wines don't have similar knowledge to you and wouldn't pay at home for the wines they complain about on board. In fact some of the comments strike me more as 'wine snobbery' rather than a meaningful contribution to the debate.

I am in agreement with you. The famous champagne houses rely on much of this snobbery to keep their prices high. I don't rate anything that comes out of the Moët house including Dom Perignon and don't get me started on the Moët "Ice". One of my favourite sparkling wines I have had in F was the Cornish sparkling wine. That was excellent. More of that please or some of the other award winning English sparkling wines.
Sealink and simons1 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
As someone who can just about tell a Shiraz from a Chardonnay, I must admit the copious fizz served on board during my ‘first First’ last week was very enjoyable.

However, to me (and it is probably sacrilege to say so here) it didn’t taste too far away from the Champagne that Aldi was knocking out at £9.99 per bottle last Christmas.

Perhaps I am not cut out to be a discerning connoisseur of ‘mousse and bubbles’ but I enjoy what I like regardless of the price it costs or where in the world it emanates from.

I am just as happy (or even happier) with a cheap Sauvignon Blanc from the Antipodes rather than something allegedly emanating from a French Castle which tastes of anti-freeze (or what I imagine anti-freeze to taste of) mixed with concentrated grape juice.

I always think there is far too much bull5hit spoken about wine by fancy wine writers and tasters (the woman who used to be on BBC2’s Food and Drink programme once described a rather expensive wine as being like 'bracken on a hot heath’ – to me when I tried it, it just tasted like the stuff I usually bought in Tesco’s).

Each to their own I suppose.

BM
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
There are interesting Vin Mousseux from the South of France which use more interesting grapes than Chardonnay. More flavoursome and cheaper than an equivalent vintage champagne.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I can't read the full article as the FT has adopted BoB.
Google it and click through.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
However, to me (and it is probably sacrilege to say so here) it didn’t taste too far away from the Champagne that Aldi was knocking out at £9.99 per bottle last Christmas.

BM
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8407741.html
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
Simon, while you can certainly pick up bargain booze and sure it doesn't mean it is bad. True premium cellars/lists of high end restaurants rarely would ever have them (maybe the odd bottle of house wine at the bottom). Would you say then, it is fair for much of the wine list in BA First to be taken up by it?
Yes. You are talking about an airline cabin, not a high end restaurant. Plus I wouldn't exactly call it bargain booze, really that is just Daily Mail guff.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
As someone who can just about tell a Shiraz from a Chardonnay, I must admit the copious fizz served on board during my ‘first First’ last week was very enjoyable.

Perhaps I am not cut out to be a discerning connoisseur of ‘mousse and bubbles’ but I enjoy what I like regardless of the price it costs or where in the world it emanates from.

I am just as happy (or even happier) with a cheap Sauvignon Blanc from the Antipodes rather than something allegedly emanating from a French Castle which tastes of anti-freeze (or what I imagine anti-freeze to taste of) mixed with concentrated grape juice.

I always think there is far too much bull5hit spoken about wine by fancy wine writers and tasters (the woman who used to be on BBC2’s Food and Drink programme once described a rather expensive wine as being like 'bracken on a hot heath’ – to me when I tried it, it just tasted like the stuff I usually bought in Tesco’s).

Each to their own I suppose.

BM
The most important wine rule: drink what you want, when you want and with what you want.

That said, there are objectively significant differences between an Aldi £9.99 bottle and LPGS.

No one is born with an excellent palate. It takes time, effort and often money. Plus a helping hand from good genetics. I view it in a similar way to art. I can go into a gallery and just look at what naturally appeals to me, or I can invest time etc in learning more about it and hopefully increasing my understanding and appreciation.
Sealink and pacenotes like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Google it and click through.
Thanks.^
I saw she was slagging off a bottle of Argentine Malbec because it only cost 400 pesos . A 400 peso bottle is top shelf stuff here. She does seem to be harking back to the 'Golden Age' of Concorde travel when BA weren't exactly financially secure. She might be an expert in wine but that doesn't make her an expert in how to run an airline.
If F passengers desire expensive wine then they'll have to pay for it. I don't see why those sitting further down the back should have to subsidise it.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by abligh
To be fair I've had a decent French white Burgundy in F which I'm guessing was £15-£20 in bond.
... the Girardin Santenay (white burgundy) available today BOM->LHR is not bad, even if it could have done with being chilled a little.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:16 am
Suspended

Yes. You are talking about an airline cabin, not a high end restaurant. Plus I wouldn't exactly call it bargain booze, really that is just Daily Mail guff.
Whilst your dining in the air may not me a high end restaurant when it is being marketed as fine dining you certainly need the right wine to complement the meal. Would you not take a say a Chateau Margaux 83 over supermarkets finest?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by icegirl
Whilst your dining in the air may not me a high end restaurant when it is being marketed as fine dining you certainly need the right wine to complement the meal. Would you not take a say a Chateau Margaux 83 over supermarkets finest?
BA marketing is often cited on here as being misleading....usually by F flyers of a certain persuasion. However I suspect to the vast majority of the population especially those who have never flown in BA F it isn't.
And what the heck is Chateau Margaux 83?
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
BA marketing is often cited on here as being misleading....usually by F flyers of a certain persuasion. However I suspect to the vast majority of the population especially those who have never flown in BA F it isn't.
And what the heck is Chateau Margaux 83?
Whilst food can be hit and miss serving decent drink should be easy to make up for it.

https://www.decanter.com/learn/wine-...x-1983-369827/
Dambus and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Oh for the days when a first growth claret cost €26 en primeur.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
I hate to disappoint but it was the regular Villa Maria SB.
Oh, sorry. I remembered this post: BA First Wine - Staff 'Cheat' Sheet (Tier 2, Jan 2019)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.