Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by peter h
It's an interesting question.

For instance: do BA have a special relationship with Laurent Perrier? Do they have dibs on Grand Siecle?

Another thing to consider is whether airlines should serve wines that available in local retailers. Does that feeling of exclusivity havr to be maintained?
WRT A relationship between BA and LP, no more than any other trade customer I would imagine. I’m purely guessing but i would imagine BA tries to stipulate in their contract with LP that LPGS can’t be supplied to other carriers, or at least any operating within certain geographies.

I have always thought that arranging the first champagne offering must be a nightmare, as ultimately you want a well known prestige cuvee as a marketing tool but these wines are by their nature made in relatively small amounts and obviously mostly/only during declared vintages, so there are probably only 6 or so different ones to choose from that are in this quality. category and made in volume to supply all BA first flights....and ultimately the other carriers are all after these too!

I would imagine BA has to place relatively large orders each time and keep a larger stock compared to some other wines which it can substitute more freely, but even then I’m sure LP would basically dictate the price....it’s not like LP would struggle to sell it elsewhere, they probably have a handful of other carriers calling them every year.

On the other hand, I’m quite sure Bolney would have dropped their pants on price completely when BA came calling! Why not, it guarantees huge amounts of your wines are not only purchased, but they get tasted and advertised to people on their flights in J, and who might then buy it directly when they land back in Blighty.

With regard to wines that you can find in retailers, it’s an age old problem, because if your providing a cheap wine to a paying customer the last thing you want is them going out and seeing it’s only £6 a bottle! Conversely, this is exactly what you want your customers to do with the champagne, claret and burgundy, you want the to know they can spend their whole F flight drinking £120 a bottle champers.

Equally, stick villa maria in F and there’s outrage! However, I bet if that bottle of VM was decanted into a different bottle no one would have cared/noticed.

I know Majestic has a range of about 100 on-trade exclusive labels which are basically wines from their range between £5-7 retail price which are relabelled as a different brand and sold to pubs/restaurants, precisely so that they can sell these at £15-25 and customers dont know what the margin is.

I would be surprised if we don’t see such tactics at BA with unknown brands appearing that are probably BA owned, except for the claret, burgundy and champers for F/J.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man

...I’m purely guessing but i would imagine BA tries to stipulate in their contract with LP that LPGS can’t be supplied to other carriers, or at least any operating within certain geographies.

Oneworld carrier Japan Airlines had LPGS in their F lounge for a short spell over Christmas.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that it was established in that thread that it was not the £5 per bottle Villa Maria.
Globaliser,

I hate to disappoint but it was the regular Villa Maria SB.

Doc Copper
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Oh dear! I have been ripped off

Not at all - It’s £50 a bottle at the Millennium Hilton Bangkok, and it’s only travelled half as far.

Palmer
Greenpen likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If they're doing it with leftover champagne that would otherwise get poured down the sink or the loo, then why not?
I have, as mentioned, no idea whether the story is real or complete nonsense, but the article makes a clear claim that the person they spoke to explains it’s ‘how they are keeping their hands smooth during flights’, in which case, by definition, they’d have to do it at a time they would not know if someone would like to drink more champagne or not.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:28 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:45 pm

Actually I thought it was quite a balanced article, it didn't only refer to BA, plus it also notes that one of the conclusions of the BT awards was "squeezed budgets aren’t a problem because we know you can find very good wines at lower prices"

I wonder how many people bothered to actually read the article before passing comment and the usual rush to defend/attack BA. Plus I have long suspected that many people who clamber into these wine/champagne threads have little idea what they are talking about.....just because a wine is on sale at a local outlet for £15 doesn't automatically make it a bad wine.

One day it would be interesting to see how many premium travellers can tell the difference between Champagne and Prosecco at 35,000 feet...probably not as many as we think. And frankly I suspect some wouldn't be able to tell the difference from Asti Spumante.
JimEddie and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
To put this in perspective, there was a 2004 Haut-Brion (£250 retail) on my Emirates F last week, with a £790 bottle of cognac (with a cheaper £495 alternative) and a single malt retailing at £175. Dom 2009 was the default champagne.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Oneworld carrier Japan Airlines had LPGS in their F lounge for a short spell over Christmas.
It appears in LH F quite regularly, so they obviously haven’t got exclusivity.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
BA is very much not an exclusive airline buyer of LPGS. For example, LH/F has LPGS as its “basic” Champagne, with nicer stuff on request (eg Taittinger Comtes des Champagne 2006 last month).

note that LPGS is non vintage. It’s fine, but it’s far from impressive for F. Personally, I think it’s a decent lounge Champagne, but it doesn’t show well at altitude. Tastes differ, of course.

NYLON Boy

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man

WRT A relationship between BA and LP, no more than any other trade customer I would imagine. I’m purely guessing but i would imagine BA tries to stipulate in their contract with LP that LPGS can’t be supplied to other carriers, or at least any operating within certain geographies.

I have always thought that arranging the first champagne offering must be a nightmare, as ultimately you want a well known prestige cuvee as a marketing tool but these wines are by their nature made in relatively small amounts and obviously mostly/only during declared vintages, so there are probably only 6 or so different ones to choose from that are in this quality. category and made in volume to supply all BA first flights....and ultimately the other carriers are all after these too!

I would imagine BA has to place relatively large orders each time and keep a larger stock compared to some other wines which it can substitute more freely, but even then I’m sure LP would basically dictate the price....it’s not like LP would struggle to sell it elsewhere, they probably have a handful of other carriers calling them every year.
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 23, 2019 at 5:21 am Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
BA is very much not an exclusive airline buyer of LPGS. For example, LH/F has LPGS as its “basic” Champagne, with nicer stuff on request (eg Taittinger Comtes des Champagne 2006 last month).

note that LPGS is non vintage. It’s fine, but it’s far from impressive for F. Personally, I think it’s a decent lounge Champagne, but it doesn’t show well at altitude. Tastes differ, of course.

NYLON Boy
Interesting that LH chose the more expensive LPGS as their 'basic' champagne and the much cheaper Taittinger Comtes des Champagne 2006 as their nicer stuff. I do enjoy the CdC, and picked up a case of the 2006 a couple of weeks ago for just under £77 per bottle, very quaffable ^
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:07 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by simons1

I wonder how many people bothered to actually read the article before passing comment and the usual rush to defend/attack BA. Plus I have long suspected that many people who clamber into these wine/champagne threads have little idea what they are talking about.....just because a wine is on sale at a local outlet for £15 doesn't automatically make it a bad wine.

One day it would be interesting to see how many premium travellers can tell the difference between Champagne and Prosecco at 35,000 feet...probably not as many as we think. And frankly I suspect some wouldn't be able to tell the difference from Asti Spumante.
You wouldn't need to taste the Prosecco to tell the difference. It is something that is massively overpriced here for what it is - it is meant to be an uncomplicated semi sparkling wine that has always been served to me in Italy in a goblet rather than a champagne flute. All you have to do is look at the mousse and the bubbles. The bubbles go quite quickly with Prosecco. Going on flavour I can't agree with you that anyone with active taste buds would miss the difference between Champagne/Prosecco and Asti Spumante. At our wedding 16 years ago this was served to us for the toast. Being Muscat grapes and not being vinified for the dry muscat version, Asti Spumante is much much sweeter and can be quite cloying. Great with a chocolate rich pudding.

Good Prosecco that I have drunk in Tuscany was around the €3-4 mark per glass. This was in good seafront restaurants in Viareggio and only marginally more at the lakeside restaurant at Torre del Lago during the Puccini festival. In the UK, it is served in champagne flutes and priced at around £8 - 9 in Uk restaurant chains. The fizz goes off it quite quickly. And the ones served in the UK are far inferior to the ones I tasted in Tuscany which had a nice acidity to them with aromatics going on. Ones I have tasted in UK are often insipid at best.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
You wouldn't need to taste the Prosecco to tell the difference. It is something that is massively overpriced here for what it is - it is meant to be an uncomplicated semi sparkling wine that has always been served to me in Italy in a goblet rather than a champagne flute. All you have to do is look at the mousse and the bubbles. The bubbles go quite quickly with Prosecco. Going on flavour I can't agree with you that anyone with active taste buds would miss the difference between Champagne/Prosecco and Asti Spumante. At our wedding 16 years ago this was served to us for the toast. Being Muscat grapes and not being vinified for the dry muscat version, Asti Spumante is much much sweeter and can be quite cloying. Great with a chocolate rich pudding.

Good Prosecco that I have drunk in Tuscany was around the €3-4 mark per glass. This was in good seafront restaurants in Viareggio and only marginally more at the lakeside restaurant at Torre del Lago during the Puccini festival. In the UK, it is served in champagne flutes and priced at around £8 - 9 in Uk restaurant chains. The fizz goes off it quite quickly. And the ones served in the UK are far inferior to the ones I tasted in Tuscany which had a nice acidity to them with aromatics going on. Ones I have tasted in UK are often insipid at best.
All very interesting but it wasn't my point.

What I mean here is my suspicion is many people who come on here complaining about wines don't have similar knowledge to you and wouldn't pay at home for the wines they complain about on board. In fact some of the comments strike me more as 'wine snobbery' rather than a meaningful contribution to the debate.
Bear96 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by simons1
Actually I thought it was quite a balanced article, it didn't only refer to BA, plus it also notes that one of the conclusions of the BT awards was "squeezed budgets aren’t a problem because we know you can find very good wines at lower prices"

Simon, while you can certainly pick up bargain booze and sure it doesn't mean it is bad. True premium cellars/lists of high end restaurants rarely would ever have them (maybe the odd bottle of house wine at the bottom). Would you say then, it is fair for much of the wine list in BA First to be taken up by it?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Spadge55
Read her article Hiddy and see the quotes from Charles Metcalfe -.
I can't read the full article as the FT has adopted BoB.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Interesting that LH chose the more expensive LPGS as their 'basic' champagne and the much cheaper Taittinger Comtes des Champagne 2006 as their nicer stuff. I do enjoy the CdC, and picked up a case of the 2006 a couple of weeks ago for just under £77 per bottle, very quaffable ^
You had a brilliant price for the Comtes, just like I found some LGPS on promotion in a French supermarket for just a notch above £60/bottle, but neither is a typical price and I wouldn't say that either is much cheaper than the other. Both will typically retail in the Majestics and the likes of this world for somewhere around £120/bottle, and a bit more at more high brow retailers. Dom Perignon that a lot of people seem to love on this thread (and which I'm totally uninterested by personally) is around same. Krug that a lot of people seem to love on FT is a little bit more - probably around £150 from the same retailers. If we want to go for significantly more expensive Champagne, then we'd have to go for stuff like Cristal which is served by AF and JL (and even more for the Salon that JL used to serve before).

Personally, I like Comtes de Champagne a lot. I like it a lot more than I like the Grand Siecle and more than I like Krug. I like all of the above a loooot more than I like Dom Perignon (or dislike as the case may be). I admittedly like both Cristal and Salon more than all of them.

For J Champagne, I find the Delamotte served on JL outstanding (but then it's Salon's sister...), but I must say that after that, the Taittinger that BA serve in J remains one of my firm favourites.

In the less expensive range by the way, I'm always surprised that Ruinart never seems to make it to the airlines. It is another house I personally love.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 23, 2019 at 8:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.