Tips for Avios eStore crediting

Old Aug 20, 20, 5:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by layz View Post
Great, IHG is back. Still can't see Hilton, hope it returns too.
The only problem is that when I try to rebook through the website it shows different earnings than on the app, where I'd originally made the booking. Same price, same room, does booking on the app earn more points than the website!?

Not sure I want to lose IHG Reward points to gain a few Avios!
Old Aug 20, 20, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
The only problem is that when I try to rebook through the website it shows different earnings than on the app, where I'd originally made the booking. Same price, same room, does booking on the app earn more points than the website!?

Not sure I want to lose IHG Reward points to gain a few Avios!
Sometimes there's promotions to encourage app use. Although if it's a small amount then it might be due to exchange rates (points are based on spend in USD so a £100 room may earn different points on different days).

But if it looks like the app is offering more then use the app and see what points post and if there's a mention of any app bonus when they do post
headingwest likes this.
Old Aug 21, 20, 10:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by layz View Post
Sometimes there's promotions to encourage app use. Although if it's a small amount then it might be due to exchange rates (points are based on spend in USD so a £100 room may earn different points on different days).

But if it looks like the app is offering more then use the app and see what points post and if there's a mention of any app bonus when they do post
I noticed this again today when considering another booking via the eStore. I did 2 dummy bookings within minutes of each other, exactly the same room and date. Very odd that the earnings are so different!

Old Aug 22, 20, 2:00 am

Programs: Mucci! And BA Silver Ė previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 5, Bronze 2
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
I noticed this again today when considering another booking via the eStore. I did 2 dummy bookings within minutes of each other, exactly the same room and date. Very odd that the earnings are so different!

Curious... a 7% difference, which is more than can be explained by a £/$ exchange rate difference.
Old Nov 23, 20, 7:22 am

Pending Avios

Just started using the BA eStore this year to top up my Avios balance.

None of my purchases have paid out Avios yet. They are all pending, even purchases from 6 months ago.

Is this normal? From reading the eStore help I got the impression transactions generally pay out Avios in 35 days although in some circumstances it can be up to 120 days (approx 4 months) but not six months.

I’ve filled in the missing Avios form but haven’t heard anything. Are the staff furloughed?

Last edited by ed_flyer; Nov 23, 20 at 7:30 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 23, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
In my experience it depends on the retailed, the "Speedy awarding" ones really are speedy, within a few days. The others really vary from super fast to months and months later - this is especially true for hotel and airbnb style bookings in my experience.
Old Nov 23, 20, 7:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
See post 124 in the main thread for one worked example of speedy awards:

Best / Cheapest Way to Save Expiring Avios Points
Old Nov 24, 20, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, IHG Rewards Spire
Originally Posted by ed_flyer View Post
Just started using the BA eStore this year to top up my Avios balance.

None of my purchases have paid out Avios yet. They are all pending, even purchases from 6 months ago.

Is this normal? From reading the eStore help I got the impression transactions generally pay out Avios in 35 days although in some circumstances it can be up to 120 days (approx 4 months) but not six months.

Iíve filled in the missing Avios form but havenít heard anything. Are the staff furloughed?
I received an email from the Avios eStore people a couple of hours ago in response to a missing Avios report I sent them last week so it looks as if they are working normally. You should have heard back from them by now. I suggest you submit another missing Avios report.

I've been making online purchases from them and their previous incarnations for over 13 years and in my experience, if you don't see the Avios shown as pending in your account within a fortnight of purchase, the transaction has disappeared into the ether.

I've found that the award of Avios from a variety of retailers has been hit or miss the past few months so maybe there are gremlins at play?
Old Nov 24, 20, 5:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ghengiz Kant View Post
I received an email from the Avios eStore people a couple of hours ago in response to a missing Avios report I sent them last week so it looks as if they are working normally. You should have heard back from them by now. I suggest you submit another missing Avios report.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Ghengiz Kant, it's good to see you here and thanks for sharing that information.
Old Nov 25, 20, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Xmikain View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Holland & Barrett? I've now had two reversals from them 3 months after being awarded the Avios, and am wondering if it's another one of those stores that seem to do this frequently. ��
Yes. This happened recently to us.

We've been buying from H&B through the various EC Avios schemes for many years then for a purchase a few weeks ago we had a speedy award reversed. When we reported this, we were told that H&B had automatically applied a £1 discount to her 3 figure purchase. Under current EC eStore rules, transactions with automatically applied (ie deducted from the bill by the retailer (in our case without our knowledge) are not eligible for the award of Avios.

I suggest you check your receipt closely to see whether H&B also gave you a tiny discount without your knowledge thereby giving them the right to reverse your Avios award.

The flyertalk community may wish to consider the regularity of such a practice.
Old Nov 25, 20, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Ghengiz Kant, it's good to see you here and thanks for sharing that information.
Many thanks for the welcome.

I've been browsing this forum on and off for many years but never found the the time nor energy to sign up and contribute. It's only when I stumbled on this particular thread and some of the posts resonating with me that I felt persuaded to join to share my EC eStore experiences.

The award of Avios is often the incentive for making a purchase through the BA eStore and provides its retailers with a competitive edge. I think it is perfectly understandable for purchasers to feel aggrieved if they have fully complied with the rules and some BA eStore retailers fail to award Avios for what can be considered to be spurious reasons. As far I can establish there is no right of appeal - the BA eStore seems to always take the retailers' side.

Incidentally, I'd received a standard email yesterday evening from Sean Doyle saying what an honour it is for him to be rejoining BA as its CEO. In this he thanks EC members for the trust we continue to place in BA and that that BA will never take this loyalty for granted. I hope this applies to all aspects of the business including the eStore.
Old Nov 25, 20, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by aeolos View Post
Anyone else have frequent issues with the Avios eStore not crediting Avios or clawing them back? It doesnít seem to matter the merchant for me I have yet to get credit without complaining and most of the time that isnít fruitful. I fairly often shop via mileage portals with no issues for AA, AS, DL and UA (seems to be same provider) but the BA issue is getting quite frustrating. The last complaint where they reversed a credit of 1300 Avios because ďmy last click wasnít from the storeĒ but typically I am super cautious about going directly from portal to store then purchase.

Anyone had issues and figured out how to get credit?
I'd received the "last click wasn't from the store" excuse very recently after I'd reported the reversing out of a speedy award. It was a surprise to receive this as I'm aware of this rule and always complete the purchase from start to finish without leaving the retailers' site after accessing via BA eStore. I've checked my history file which confirms this and shows the last click was the retailers page thanking me for my purchase. Unfortunately the BA Avios response has set out its stall by saying in their response:
"...we are sorry to inform you that your transaction was rejected as the merchant reported that your last click for your purchase was not made via British Airways Avios eStore site but another marketing source, hence making the transaction invalid to earn Avios.

Weíre sorry that we canít offer you any further help with this."

If anyone else has any advice for dealing with this situation, do let us know. It really is aggravating!
Old Nov 25, 20, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, BA LTG, BA GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Ghengiz Kant View Post
If anyone else has any advice for dealing with this situation, do let us know. It really is aggravating!
I can’t help with the existing often spurious “last click” messages however my rate of receiving them has dropped since I started using a separate sterile browser just for referral sites.

I happen to use Firefox for referrals, using chrome for normal browsing. It’s completely stock, no ad-blockers or add ins. I reinstall it monthly. I only ever use it on referral sites. All internet history, cookies, everything is cleared for all time before heading to the referral site. I go directly to the referral site url not using google or similar to look it up.

My tracking rate has improved a lot. Hilton is a 50/50 refusal still even when it tracks. M&S never tracks, but pays a on retro claim. Currys 50/50.

Once a “last click” or similar message has been issued I have never been successful challenging it.
Old Nov 25, 20, 3:58 am

Earlier purchases from John Lewis have had the Avios awarded based on the price I paid. My last purchase, two days ago, has been based on the cost of the goods excluding VAT.
Old Nov 25, 20, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
Earlier purchases from John Lewis have had the Avios awarded based on the price I paid. My last purchase, two days ago, has been based on the cost of the goods excluding VAT.
I did a purchase yesterday on JL - waiting to see if and how much Avios credit but I did notice the following bit has appeared on the BA e-store JL page:

Rewards are not calculated on postage / handling / delivery costs or associated purchase taxes in your region (This may include but not be limited to VAT, GST etc).

I just checked and the last purchase I made via the BA e-store JL page in April 2020 paid out on the full price including VAT so the change must have been introduced since then.

Will report back when (if) my Avios credit.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread