Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cityflyer Suspends LCY-ORY from the end of May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Title says it all really BA Cityflyer will suspend its London City To Paris Orly flights with effect from 31 May 2019:for no apparent reason. This means that Paris isn’t served at all from LCY and BA no longer serves ORY as this service of course replaced the axed LHR-ORY flights.

Cant see any commercial rebooking policy on this yet, I’m guessing it will be with them to CDG but what if you have an inbound flight to ORY or are working in thst area as opposed to CDG will they protect on AF and will anybody step in to serve Paris from LCY.

Also wondering what BACF are going to do with the spare airframe now?

Edited to say it seems the late LCY departure on Fri 31 May is returning early on Sat 1 Jun as planned but no ORY flights in the system after then. Not sure if mods want to change the title or leave as is.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Shame as it was a handy flight from my perspective, but also fully appreciating that without any obvious feed at either end it was always going to be tough.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Title says it all really BA Cityflyer will suspend its London City To Paris Orly flights with effect from 31 May 2019:for no apparent reason.
I would guess the reason is that there isn't enough demand to sustain the route. LCY is typically priced at a premium where BA operates from multiple London airports on the same route (e.g. AMS, ZRH, GVA, EDI, etc.), but every time I've looked at it LCY-ORY has been cheaper than LHR-CDG and with a very empty seat plan, which probably tells you something about how attractive passengers find ORY as an airport. Few connections also, which doesn't help.
Timesroman likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Edited to say it seems the late LCY departure on Fri 31 May is returning early on Sat 1 Jun as planned but no ORY flights in the system after then.
The timetable looks a bit odd at the moment as one of the flights each day is listed as a 142 starting from 7 May (plus one solitary sector one-way on 4 May). But the timetable doesn't work well the way it's set up at the moment, so presumably there yet be some rejigging involved. Otherwise that spare airframe might spend the rest of its earthly life at ORY.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
There is no “spare airframe”. Things are being re-jigged to prioritise a robust, punctual and reliable service - very important to CityFlyer’s bread and butter customers. Also minimum scheduled turnaround times at LCY are being increased from 30 to 35 minutes.
rossmacd, Pascoe and george77300 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by zappomatic
Also minimum scheduled turnaround times at LCY are being increased from 30 to 35 minutes.
This is interesting. It may mean that many of the (my description!) popular same aircraft transfers of 30 mins are no longer (e.g. ZRH-LCY-GLA) in the evenings.

Will 30mins MCT remain? (I fully appreciate that MCT and turnaround time are not connected, but since the LCY operation is small, the 30 minutes MCT is something of a unique situation). If anything, an extra 5 minutes doesn't make much difference, but if it means that schedules do not permit for short transfers then LCY could lose its usefulness for the, albeit very very small, transfer options.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rossmacd
It may mean that many of the (my description!) popular same aircraft transfers of 30 mins are no longer (e.g. ZRH-LCY-GLA) in the evenings.
Why would it make any real difference whether the timetables result in a same-aircraft connection of 30 minutes or a same-aircraft connection of 35 minutes? So long as MCT remains at 30 minutes, either is feasible.

I would have thought that a change to MCT rather than a change to the timetables is more likely to be disrupting to those who like these short connections.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I would have thought that a change to MCT rather than a change to the timetables is more likely to be disrupting to those who like these short connections.

That is exactly why I asked the question "Will 30mins MCT remain?"
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Why would it make any real difference whether the timetables result in a same-aircraft connection of 30 minutes or a same-aircraft connection of 35 minutes? So long as MCT remains at 30 minutes, either is feasible.

I think the OP was questioning if this was part of a broader timetable recast that might see some of the same aircraft connections he has been using change. I suppose time will tell on that.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:29 am
Suspended

Since this service was introduced, South east London and Kent now has a non change direct train service from Rainham to St Pancras for the Eurostar service to Paris, there’s no need to change at Woolwich for LCY.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Feb 22, 2019 at 6:01 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rossmacd
That is exactly why I asked the question "Will 30mins MCT remain?"
Yes, and it seems to me that that's the key question to focus on. In contrast, what's being done to aircraft scheduling wouldn't seem to give cause for concern.

Indeed, it would seem to be slightly counter-intuitive for the airline to increase the scheduled turnaround time for individual aircraft from 30 to 35 minutes, which amongst other things improves the prospects of passengers making their connecting flights, and then to amend the MCT from 30 minutes (matching the current turnaround time) to more than 35 minutes so as to scupper those connections entirely.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Shame as it was a handy flight from my perspective, but also fully appreciating that without any obvious feed at either end it was always going to be tough.
Likewise, used this a few times recently. Sorry to see it go.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by djbenedict
Likewise, used this a few times recently. Sorry to see it go.
Ditto. Was particularly handy for South London. I flew back from ORY to LCY yesterday - flight was absolutely packed.

I suppose the lounge closure was a forewarning of the end of the route.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:03 am

With the closure of the OLY (OpenSkies) lounge, I wouldn’t be doing this service again anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
The €15 voucher they give you at the checkin desks (allows for 2 wines plus a snack at the Illy bar) goes some way to compensating, particularly given that flights into LCY come with the attraction of minimising pre-flight airport time. That said, I liked the refurbed lounge at Orly. Was a good excuse to arrive early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.