Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 [SIN-SYD] on Tuesday had four people upgraded to F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:12 am
Original Poster

I was in 4K on Tuesday and noticed several empty seats. I asked one of the crew if I could move to 3F as it seemed to me more spacious (having just come off BA11 I immediately noticed there was no flat area by the arm rest on 4K, whereas 3F did).

She told me I could “if it was free after takeoff”, but then just before we set off four people were brought in (presumably from J), who took all the empty seats.

I was surprised they would upgrade so many - is that usual?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
I imagine they might have been BA staff waitlisted for travel on the flight.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Something similar happened to me on my outbound to DEN last week. A family of four was brought to the F cabin with the captain being involved.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by armouredant
I imagine they might have been BA staff waitlisted for travel on the flight.
In which case should the OP have been allowed to move seat first and the staff told to sit where there was a free seat, or would they have had seats assigned?
xPositor likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
In which case should the OP have been allowed to move seat first and the staff told to sit where there was a free seat, or would they have had seats assigned?
The assumption made was they were staff. There is no evidence of this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by rapidex
The assumption made was they were staff. There is no evidence of this.
Regardless of whether they were staff, friends/family of crew or other pax upgraded for whatever reason, if this was an ad-hoc move done by the crew on board then the OP should have been allowed to move first then the upgradees given the remaining seats.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
She told me I could “if it was free after takeoff”,
This is curious, surely she could have checked the manifest, confirmed it was free and allowed a move.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:19 am

I regularly get upgraded on SIN-SYD and vice versa... a good hint would be when they sell J to F upgrades at checkin which implies J was oversold.

Once we were travelling in a group of 3 whereas 2 of my family members on J redemption tickets were upgraded to F at checkin, while I (GGL on paid J) only got the magic beep on boarding.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
I was in 4K on Tuesday and noticed several empty seats. I asked one of the crew if I could move to 3F as it seemed to me more spacious (having just come off BA11 I immediately noticed there was no flat area by the arm rest on 4K, whereas 3F did).

She told me I could “if it was free after takeoff”, but then just before we set off four people were brought in (presumably from J), who took all the empty seats.

I was surprised they would upgrade so many - is that usual?
error was asking crew. all they can do is "after door closed" You should have gotten off and asked gate agent, only he has control off seats before door closed. Number does not matter if they are on waiting list. Could have been captain's family - in which case GA told him ok, Again only GA control of seats when door open.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This is curious, surely she could have checked the manifest, confirmed it was free and allowed a move.
and then GA assigns someone to seat and the person the FA moved has to go to assigned seat
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Could have not been connecting people coming from a delayed/late aircraft?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
Regardless of whether they were staff, friends/family of crew or other pax upgraded for whatever reason, if this was an ad-hoc move done by the crew on board then the OP should have been allowed to move first then the upgradees given the remaining seats.
The details of the why's and wherefors have not been disclosed. Nor is it clear the 4 were upgraded or simply late to the gate. Perhaps they were connecting off a late inbound flight. Too many people jumping to conclusions.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Could have been staff, overbooking leading to oversale, reaccommodated F pax from another flight for whom seats were found, or other issues. Highly unlikely that staff would upgrade people of their own accord.

The problem is that OP was assigned to 4K. the GA controlling seat assignments sees 4K as asssigned and 3F as empty. When she assigns seats to the new passengers, one of them gets 3F. While it may well work to wait until after departure, the better practice would be to find the GA and ask for the new seat,. Even if BA takes the decision to hand the seats out to random strangers, there is no reason the GA would know of OP's desire to move.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If they were non-revs flying LHR-SYD on F-upgradable tickets and if F was full from LHR to SIN, they were still eligible to be upgraded ex SIN (if seats were left on this sector). This was happening fairly frequently on the GRU-EZE segment when BA was still flying LHR-GRU-EZE. No conspiracy theory for me.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
the only manifest that matters is th final one produced by the GA. any that the crew might have prior to that would not reflect last minute seat changes done at the gate or

thats why the ‘if it’s free after take off’ said by the CC matters because until the doors are closed they simply don’t know if it’s free or not because they don’t know what is happening at the gate

and can we stop with the automatic assumption that all last minute people arriving in CW or F are friends of the crew / the captains bit on the side etc etc
flygirl68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.