Wiki Posts
Search

MAN-ALC City Flyer cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:49 am
Original Poster

MAN-ALC City Flyer cancelled

Hi all

Booked on this for 8th June and just received word it’s cancelled so looking at alternatives. Hoping someone might have some suggestions that don’t involve a 6hr connection between LHR and LGW. I’m flying CE.

Needs to be the same day and if possible avoid the LHR-LGW connection. However, in lieu of any other viable alternatives (because I can’t see any) if I’m changed onto MAN-LHR LGW-ALC would BA pick up the connection between airports?

Is this City Flyer route totally cancelled or just for this trip?

Any help anyone can provide before I change route would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Looks like it's non-op on 8 June, 15 June and 22 June. The timetable gives the season as 18 May to 28 September and that last flight is still there, as are the flights at the beginning of the season and those from 29 June for a few weeks - but I haven't looked at all of the rest of the season.

Would it be an insurmountable problem to take the EZY non-stop MAN-ALC on 8 June at about the same time?
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Not at all but would that affect our return flight? It’s booked through BA Holidays. Return is VLC-LHR-MAN, again in CE.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[left]Not at all but would that affect our return flight? It’s booked through BA Holidays. Return is VLC-LHR-MAN, again in CE.
I don't have any experience of BA Holidays, but I wonder whether one solution might be to try to negotiate a partial refund so that you can book an alternative outbound flight yourself, with the inbound flight and the remainder of the holiday being protected.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:25 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Not at all but would that affect our return flight? It’s booked through BA Holidays. Return is VLC-LHR-MAN, again in CE.
Speak to BA Holidays and see what they suggest
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Will do. Have just remembered one of the main reasons we booked was to take advantage of the luggage allowance and take provisions out to the parents. Clearly that won’t be an option using EasyJet or if it is it’ll be costly.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have just remembered one of the main reasons we booked was to take advantage of the luggage allowance and take provisions out to the parents. Clearly that won’t be an option using EasyJet or if it is it’ll be costly.
Worth pricing that before you talk to BA Holidays, so that you have an idea of what this alternative would actually cost you and whether it's simply a non-runner from the beginning.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Hi all

Booked on this for 8th June and just received word it’s cancelled so looking at alternatives. Hoping someone might have some suggestions that don’t involve a 6hr connection between LHR and LGW. I’m flying CE.

Needs to be the same day and if possible avoid the LHR-LGW connection. However, in lieu of any other viable alternatives (because I can’t see any) if I’m changed onto MAN-LHR LGW-ALC would BA pick up the connection between airports?

Any help anyone can provide before I change route would be greatly appreciated.

What about MAN - LHR - MAD - ALC?

One extra step on the plane but saves the schlep to Gatwick and also means you keep the luggage allowance,

Just another option and 100tps each way if thats your thing
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:41 am

MAN-MAD-ALC on IB should be an alternative. That would be preferable to the LHR/LGW shuffle.

Edit: there’s also the suggestion above but the extra TP would really have to be needed to make that worth it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Personally, I would go MAN-LHR-MAD-ALC as per the suggestion from cgtechuk.

Something like this: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=M...sp:2.EUR.66281

It's a whole day flying but you get good lounges all the way, decent catering on the LHR-MAD leg with Iberia, and the connections all look do-able. Can't see a faster way of doing it with Oneworld, and the 100 TPs might be a factor too.
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sirkay

It's a whole day flying but you get good lounges all the way, decent catering on the LHR-MAD leg with Iberia, and the connections all look do-able. Can't see a faster way of doing it with Oneworld, and the 100 TPs might be a factor too.
Yeah that looks like a winner. I was wondering what the connection in MAD would be like. I assume baggage is checked through even if the ALC flight is operated by Air Nostrum?

I priced up the Easyjet flights with legroom, extra baggage and the charmingly named “Bistro Voucher” and it’s far in excess of what I think I’d get back if BA cancelled my outbound and refunded. Almost £300 per pax. 😳
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
It's been a while since I checked baggage on this route but certainly it never used to be a problem checking all the way through.

Connecting in Madrid from the Iberia flight to Air Nostrum generally just means a long walk – basically the entire length of T4.

But it's just a matter of a few minutes, and at least there should be no need to get the train...
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
I have done the connection in MAD from LHR for the flight to ALC and yes the luggage was checked all the way through and yes MAD - ALC flight was operated by Air Nostrum. The connection at MAD is very good even though you may have to walk the length of the terminal if you arrive on an IB flight, if BA then its a train and half a terminal to walk normally.
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

It's been a while since I checked baggage on this route but certainly it never used to be a problem checking all the way through.

Connecting in Madrid from the Iberia flight to Air Nostrum generally just means a long walk – basically the entire length of T4.

But it's just a matter of a few minutes, and at least there should be no need to get the train...
Thanks for this. When rebooking should I stipulate the IB flight number to ensure the TP’s or will I gain 100 even if they use the BA codeshare?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
MAN-MAD-ALC on IB should be an alternative. That would be preferable to the LHR/LGW shuffle.

Edit: there’s also the suggestion above but the extra TP would really have to be needed to make that worth it.
Is there a direct MAN-MAD IB flight for Sat 8th June? I can’t find it on Matrix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.