Places to put things in CW

Old Feb 21, 19, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
This illustration probably describes this better. Note, it only works in A, E, F, and K seats due to the configuration of the divider screens.
I never knew that, now I do!
Old Feb 21, 19, 3:46 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Well, if you're going to say no to everything, including the middle seats in 2-3-2 (have you actually tried one?), then maybe Club World - or maybe BA - is simply not for you. Most of us don't seem to encounter the terminal difficulties that have beset you.

Having recently done three sectors on CX, I don't think that there was much more storage in those seats that could be used before the cruise. All of the good big storage spaces seemed to be placarded along the lines of "no stowage during taxi, take-off and landing". (Enforcement by cabin crew, of course, was another matter.)
Unless you're on the CX A350 then the storage drawer with the lid is a godsend before take off, I normally just keep my ipad, camera, phone on the side of my seat and cuddle it when flying in Club World than leave it in the drawer
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:31 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
You mean no one told the OP about the double secret storage bin? bad on BA part
bullroot and mikeyfly like this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:32 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have always found the drawer at foot level adequately sized but inconveniently situated. I love the "bring your own shelf" for travelling in Y... I'll look into that. We have a LHR-SIN in Y coming up. That might be very handy
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold/GGL/CCR, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by OneworldHarj View Post
Unless you're on the CX A350 then the storage drawer with the lid is a godsend before take off, I normally just keep my ipad, camera, phone on the side of my seat and cuddle it when flying in Club World than leave it in the drawer
AA and EK also have godsends, in terms of the multiple storage areas at your shoulder. That plus being able to have your laptop bag at your feet at all times simplifies things a lot compared to the BA challenges (which Qantas have too IMO).
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Smile

Originally Posted by bullroot View Post
Two great tips, thank you! the footstool wedge is good idea, hopefully not devalued by an overzealous CC person. Your suggestion for the drawer lining is the best use of the Daily Mail ever. I will now take a copy on boarding without fail!!!!
the only problem with using the daily mail is I would feel dirtier picking up a copy of that rather than putting my stuff In a probably dirty draw
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
I still donít get the need for all this storage space everyone needs, even my carry only contains a passport, phone charging cable, contact lenses solution and glasses
endoman likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:47 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
I still donít get the need for all this storage space everyone needs, even my carry only contains a passport, phone charging cable, contact lenses solution and glasses
I do mostly agree with you. For short overnight BA TATLs (US East Coast to LHR), all of my belongings remain in my backpack in the overhead locker, including my street clothes after having changed into my lounge wear upon boarding. The only items that make it to my seat are shoes (for unexpected toilet visits), my phone and its charger, my CX F eye mask and a pair of custom moulded ear plugs. I refuse all service items, except a water bottle which will likely find its way onto the floor. Makes for no issues for getting to sleep quickly after wheels-up, and a swift exit in the morning, and preventing me doing something stupid I did many years ago - leaving my wallet in the CW drawer!

On the other hand if I am on a day flight, my laptop or iPad and headphones may make it out of my backpack, but that it about it. Then again, as I would be very unlikely to be flying BA J on a day flight, I don't have the storage issues described on this thread.
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I still don’t get the need for all this storage space everyone needs, even my carry only contains a passport, phone charging cable, contact lenses solution and glasses
In my carryon ...
Travel Wallet (bulky)
iPad
Kindle
Cables/charger connectors
Light sweater
Notebook/pen
Spectacles case

Not all needed at once, of course. But I’m no longer able to easily reach the drawer, nor easily get up to get stuff from the overhead.
bullroot likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
I do mostly agree with you. For short overnight BA TATLs (US East Coast to LHR), all of my belongings remain in my backpack in the overhead locker, including my street clothes after having changed into my lounge wear upon boarding. The only items that make it to my seat are shoes (for unexpected toilet visits), my phone and its charger, my CX F eye mask and a pair of custom moulded ear plugs. I refuse all service items, except a water bottle which will likely find its way onto the floor. Makes for no issues for getting to sleep quickly after wheels-up, and a swift exit in the morning, and preventing me doing something stupid I did many years ago - leaving my wallet in the CW drawer!

On the other hand if I am on a day flight, my laptop or iPad and headphones may make it out of my backpack, but that it about it. Then again, as I would be very unlikely to be flying BA J on a day flight, I don't have the storage issues described on this thread.
It begs the question whether you go barefoot to the loo when its an expected toilet trip?
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I use the great advantage of the CW seat: space to put your things around you, even while you sleep (under the footrest). I take my smaller carryon bag, which is either an over the shoulder bag or a soft-sided "business briefcase" affair, out of the overhead bin and I put it on the floor by my feet. Then I put things in it. I can hold a book for the takeoff and landing period

When I want to sleep I make sure it's under the footrest, then extend the seat and sleep.

I will admit this doesn't work for a "gear up - seat back" approach to sleeping the whole flight, but even when I am sleeping for most of the flight I don't usually get to sleep before the seatbelt light goes out, so this works for me.
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
An old CW bag and a couple of recent smaller ones for chargers/leads suffice, and glasses seem to be happy living in a spot near the TV remote if memory serves me right. Bedding gets wedged between window and seat to make for a super soft arm rest when not sleeping.

Too many years of economy travelling mean I've reduced the junk I want when in my seat to what fits in one CW bag.
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
It seems to me that this thread would never exist if we were talking about any other airline's J-class seat: it s a unique BA problem born of bad design that will be with us for many more years yet.

Whilst the solutions explained here are a fine example of British ingenuity and make-do-and-mend, they shouldn't be necessary. On Cathay, Swiss, Qantas, Eva Air, Qatar (even their 777-ER on a 17hr flight), AA, Iberia et al I find that if I wake up and want my specs, hearing aids (!), tablet, water, book or 'phone they can all be within easy reach from a supine position and not hidden in a drawer beneath me, stored somewhere beyond my toes or lodged precariously on an armrest or angled table etc.

In short, there is no complete solution but to fly with another airline, so you (we) have to compromise.
bullroot likes this.

Last edited by Charlie Whiskey; Feb 21, 19 at 4:07 pm Reason: Grammar!
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey View Post
It seems to me that this thread would never exist if we were talking about any other airline's J-class seat: it s a unique BA problem born of bad design that will be with us for many more years yet.
I think you'd be stretched to find a business class seat that isn't flawed in one way or another. We, as a group of frequent flyers, know exactly where the weaknesses of the design are; we know where the strengths are too.

What is brilliant about this discussion, is the sharing the workarounds we as individuals have developed over the years, using a kit of parts provided by BA.

Wouldn't it be great if regulars on other airlines could share their own tidbits in their respective forums.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 21, 19 at 4:36 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold/GGL/CCR, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
What do you do with the water bottles, amenity kit, the pillow on the seat, and the grey sleeping kit bag full of useless stuff plus a blanket? there is nowhere to stow all that just by itself. then you get chastised by the crew for not having stuff stowed away. either give us somewhere to put all that stuff, or stop bossing people around to put it in the lockers.
T8191 and subject2load like this.

Search this Thread