Search

Bed making in F Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by golfmad
Originally Posted by Shahar
But ... I still don't want to appear rude or obnoxious to the flight crew just because I asked for something in the most inconvenient time... (hence the whole thread)
If you communicate politely it cannot be construed as rude or obnoxious.
And there are many ways of doing this. Coming from an oriental culture in which circumlocution is everything, I sometimes try something like "I'm sorry if this is a bad time to ask, but if I want to go to bed in the next five or ten minutes, might you have a moment to help me make up my bed, please?" Almost always, the answer is along the lines of "Of course, I'll do that straight away".
Shahar likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And there are many ways of doing this. Coming from an oriental culture in which circumlocution is everything, I sometimes try something like "I'm sorry if this is a bad time to ask, but if I want to go to bed in the next five or ten minutes, might you have a moment to help me make up my bed, please?" Almost always, the answer is along the lines of "Of course, I'll do that straight away".
Will probably will go and try something around this kind of approach
And undo the bed myself (and tuck it in the overhead storage like some people suggested)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:44 pm

From other threads which seem to suggest that many passengers change into their PJs in the cabin, perhaps you could strip off while your bed is being made?
Crampedin13A and Shahar like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I have always had good responses by starting with "When you have a moment, could you help me make up the bed?"
The _Banking_Scot and Shahar like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Greenpen
From other threads which seem to suggest that many passengers change into their PJs in the cabin, perhaps you could strip off while your bed is being made?
And while at it ... go full commando in the PJ?
SaraJH likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by Shahar
Can you?
If I remember correctly from last time, they have all the bedding stuff (the pillow, cover and duvet) hidden somewhere until they start making the beds.
Depends on the plane - mine usually have them in overheads. I drink plenty in the lounge and before departure, so usually head straight to sleep on boarding. I find, especially when with my kids, it's just easier/faster to do myself.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:41 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
For my first F flights I didn't realise that bedding / pillows were available and these had never been offered. On a later flight the cabin crew told me that these were only available on request - unlike in Club where you find them on your seat. So now I always seek out the cabin crew when I'm sufficiently tired enough to attempt some sleep.

I still wonder what else is available but never offered.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LPQ
I still wonder what else is available but never offered.
Fear not LPQ, you will everything documented in various threads on this forum. No need to miss out but you'll need to separate the wheat from the chaff
LPQ likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:13 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Fear not
LPQ, you will everything documented in various threads on this forum. No need to miss out but you'll need to separate the wheat from the chaff

In the thread 'More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report' there was reference to a chocolate from the secret box passing. Being partial to a chocolate (but preferably several) I would appreciate the password to unlock the box. In all my F flights I've never seen such a box. If it's a staff perk then I wouldn't want to deprive them.
AnaTravel likes this.

Last edited by LPQ; Feb 20, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'm firmly a DIY person.

The only thing that stands in my way is when I can't find the bedding. I have to ask, and it inevitably results in their offering to do it. I say I would do it myself but generally they insist, so it would be rude to resist any further so I have them do it.

I always fold up my own bedding, and put it away if I can find a locker space near me.

You can ask for the bed to be made up whenever you like, however, one thing I'd avoid doing is to ask if they are busy doing meal service.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I generally find this is one of the indicators of how good the crew are in F. My “default” is DIY (just because it saves faffing and tends to be faster), so for me:

Excellent crew (25% of the time) - proactively ask me (eg after dinner) if they can make my bed up for me, so I never get the chance to do it myself.

Good crew (50% of the time) - will see me start pulling bedding down from the overhead and then appear to help/take over.

Sub-par crew (25% of the time) - will see me start pulling bedding down and either: (i) simply observe; or (ii) disappear out of sight as quickly as possible.

But - seriously - do it/ask whenever you want (within reason - obviously not on the ground...). There is no right answer.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And then there's the German request: "you would like to make up my bed now please."
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
A good crew anticipates and offers at the right moment - or, you return from the loo and find your bed already made up without asking.
On my last F flight, the cabin crew proactively put away the bedding while i was in the toilet... came back to cleared away bed - which was nice. Unfortunately they included by Bose headphones ... i didn't realize until were close to landing...they had to sift through all the put away bedding to find them!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by LPQ

In the thread 'More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report' there was reference to a chocolate from the secret box passing. Being partial to a chocolate (but preferably several) I would appreciate the password to unlock the box. In all my F flights I've never seen such a box. If it's a staff perk then I wouldn't want to deprive them.
LPQ.

The Da Vinci Code is easier to crack. Sometimes, you might win the chocolate box lottery and it lands beside you. Then the fear sets in. How many can I have? One? Two?

That you haven't seen the mystery chocolate box indicates how rare this sacred container is. Unlocking the password comes after learning a special handshake. Then there is an initiation ceremony which takes place in the galley. Finally, the code is slipped to you but you have only ten seconds to memorise. Then it will self-destruct.

Your task, if you choose to accept it, is hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.