Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Compassionate flight changes and arbitrary fees - what is the actual policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compassionate flight changes and arbitrary fees - what is the actual policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by just_starting
The first flight he can make is tomorrow morning, and I'll get him on that no matter what. Don't worry about that, plenty of seats available still!
It only takes one cancelled flight or mass misconnect (doesn't even need to be BA or even the same route depending on where it is) to fill it up...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It only takes one cancelled flight or mass misconnect (doesn't even need to be BA or even the same route depending on where it is) to fill it up...
​​​​​​
All booked now :-)

There were a lot of fairly free flights still available so I'd hope the risk I took by trying a few times was minimal. Guess it paid off at least...
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
He's booked it all himself, I'm just trying to be helpful. We've put myself down as a nominee on his account and I have all of his details, so that shouldn't make a difference.
That's rather a matter of speculation. If you didn't make the booking, then you're neither the customer, the passenger, nor the bereaved person.

It's just like the difference between what you can get if you contact a call centre if you've had trouble getting to the airport, and what you can get when you present yourself to the airport ticketing desk when you finally get there. In theory, either can do pretty much anything the other one can. In practice, one will and one won't.

Glad it's sorted now, anyway.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Also - I guess her "we only do this for Gold members" and "oh yea and also for Silver members" was made up to shut me up rather than any actual policy then?

Maybe the agents should be trained to say something like "that's in our discretion" rather than making up facts - this is certainly not the first time this has happened to me...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's rather a matter of speculation. If you didn't make the booking, then you're neither the customer, the passenger, nor the bereaved person.

It's just like the difference between what you can get if you contact a call centre if you've had trouble getting to the airport, and what you can get when you present yourself to the airport ticketing desk when you finally get there. In theory, either can do pretty much anything the other one can. In practice, one will and one won't.

Glad it's sorted now, anyway.
I see - it's the first time I've tried this nominee thing actually, so you might well be right! He certainly isn't in a state to have a proper conversation right now though, let alone wait on the phone for hours...

Thanks everyone for your input!!

(And sorry for my lagged responses, I'm fighting the Tube wi-fi which doesn't seem to be in a good mood today!)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: QF
I had to change flights about 18 months ago due to a family bereavement, I was told that there would be a change fee for chnaging the flight ( I really can't recall how much ) however when the agent on the phone got to processing the change she gave a rather dramatic 'whoops, I forgot to apply the change fee, never mind, it's too late now'

I think as CWS said early in the thread, there are agents who apply their own discretion to whatever the rules are.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:12 pm

I'm glad you got it all sorted, just_starting, for what is really a nominal fee.

I am concerned at the consistency of the inconsistency of the change fee. This doesn't seem like discretion to me - more like a random number generator.

rb211.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by RB211
I'm glad you got it all sorted, just_starting, for what is really a nominal fee.

I am concerned at the consistency of the inconsistency of the change fee. This doesn't seem like discretion to me - more like a random number generator.

rb211.
Or perhaps like many call centers, the agents have an element of discretion but are measured on how they use it - hence the random numbers.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
TBH i think the OP had a good result.

When my mom died in 2001, I couldnt get any help from BA at all. Full fare econ and no help at all. Was BA Blue at the ime (now higher) got me nothing but full economy fare. Ended up flying Virgin.

They charged me full fare too, but gave me premium econ.

BTW, this was 9/11 week (well the week before). Think VA handed that better than BA did during the Volcano ash thing. but wasnt flying BA then so dont know.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by amanx
TBH i think the OP had a good result.

When my mom died in 2001, I couldnt get any help from BA at all. Full fare econ and no help at all. Was BA Blue at the ime (now higher) got me nothing but full economy fare. Ended up flying Virgin.

They charged me full fare too, but gave me premium econ.

BTW, this was 9/11 week (well the week before). Think VA handed that better than BA did during the Volcano ash thing. but wasnt flying BA then so dont know.
I think you may be referring to a different situation entirely. The OP was trying to change an existing booking. It sounds like you were asking BA to assist you with a new booking?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by UKTony
Or perhaps like many call centers, the agents have an element of discretion but are measured on how they use it - hence the random numbers.
Hi no as agents we are not measured on discretion. If something is outside a policy we have to ask a manager and they make the decision about anything discretionary.
orbitmic and golfmad like this.

Last edited by Anonba; Feb 20, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:12 pm

So that's yet another version of the (seemingly non-existent) policy. My Gold agent told me that a death certificate would "absolutely not work to change flights, we only ever use them for cancellations" .
I honestly find the speculation on this forum funny. The fact that people dont know what policies exist but then proclaim certain policies dont exist is a classic example.
I cant discuss specific policies but i will say that there are different policies based on whether you have taken one of the flights on your booking or not.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba

I honestly find the speculation on this forum funny. The fact that people dont know what policies exist but then proclaim certain policies dont exist is a classic example.
I cant discuss specific policies but i will say that there are different policies based on whether you have taken one of the flights on your booking or not.
Which is all well and good, but how can it be explained that the OP got so many different price quotes for making changes to the booking, if a policy was being followed?
just_starting likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Which is all well and good, but how can it be explained that the OP got so many different price quotes for making changes to the booking, if a policy was being followed?
If something is outside policy what a manager decided to offer could vary and the price of different flights could also vary anyway. It sounds to me like some changes were just fare and tax difference or some were maybe just change and service fee or just service fee.

Some policies the difference in price is charged anyway so price would vary based on just fare availability.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:06 pm

Also - I guess her "we only do this for Gold members" and "oh yea and also for Silver members" was made up to shut me up rather than any actual policy then?

Maybe the agents should be trained to say something like "that's in our discretion" rather than making up facts - this is certainly not the first time this has happened to me...
Some tiers get slightly more flexibility around how certain policies may be applied, the agent you spoke to wasnt making something up.

Last edited by Anonba; Feb 20, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.