Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Cabin configuration & service on the] JFK-LGW service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL

I’ve finally booked this for the first time and was wondering if there is any recent experience with this service.

Specifically wondering if this is a sleeper service (departs JFK at 10pm)?

Also, the seat layout seems pretty odd - the service has one of those 4 row club cabins. It seems pretty small compared with the LHR services - not even talking LCY. I would have expected more Club demand, considering that LGW is much more convenient to some parts of the South East...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Also, the seat layout seems pretty odd - the service has one of those 4 row club cabins. It seems pretty small compared with the LHR services - not even talking LCY. I would have expected more Club demand, considering that LGW is much more convenient to some parts of the South East...
These 777s work interchangeably on the Gatwick long haul routes. For the most part these routes have lower business and first class demand as they are primarily leisure rather than business focussed destinations (a lot of Caribbean flights for example). Conversely these 777s have larger Premium Expnomy cabins to tap into the premium leisure market. I imagine competing with Norwegian and the smaller proportion of hub/connecting traffic at Gatwick also plays a part too.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
"Sleeper" as a specific marketing concept I think has now ended, but that may be playing with words, since yes you would have access to the hot food buffet in JFK. The food served on board is done on the "goodnight service" concept, so soup/salads/pud on one tray and two drops, rather than the drawn out meal service.

Also if HBO JFK staff may be happy to move you to other services that evening (including the LCY service) since JFK passenger loads are often out of kilter to specific services. That said LGW normally isn't overloaded. It's actually a bit of a low cost service, it often has the cheaper buckets going on it, and it is cheaper for BA to operate in terms of internal money than the LHR services. When peering down Find Our Lowest Fares, it often pops out of the listing. Now that is more for WT and WTP of course, but as you know BA will roll forward to keep everyone, including their accountants, delighted.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

I presume it is a combination of leisure travellers, lower operating costs and the fact that the reliability of the LGW service has been less than stellar.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Isn’t LGW-JFK a sacrifice route when a Gatwick 777 is tech? I am guessing no F seats.....
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That said LGW normally isn't overloaded. It's actually a bit of a low cost service, it often has the cheaper buckets going on it, and it is cheaper for BA to operate in terms of internal money than the LHR services.
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Isn’t LGW-JFK a sacrifice route when a Gatwick 777 is tech?
I would ask "Isn't LGW-JFK a slot-sitter?"

ISTR that whenever it's been done in the recent past, that's what it's always proved to have been, notwithstanding any protestations to the contrary by the airline.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Also if HBO JFK staff may be happy to move you to other services that evening (including the LCY service) since JFK passenger loads are often out of kilter to specific services.
I did JFK-LGW about a year ago, HBO, and volunteered to move to any other flight to London if it would help them. I got what sounded like a bit of a hollow laugh, heralding the expected answer.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I don't quite get where the bad reputation for LGW is coming from. It's great for South and central London.

In my specific case I'll be connecting to another service from LGW. The idea of doing a LHR-LGW connection via the M25 is pretty off-putting - so this flight is great for my needs. I just find it a little odd that there aren't more people who see it the same way.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by simons1
I presume it is a combination of leisure travellers, lower operating costs and the fact that the reliability of the LGW service has been less than stellar.
How is this service less than stellar? Just asking?

/
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:46 pm

I don't quite get where the bad reputation for LGW is coming from. It's great for South and central London.

In my specific case I'll be connecting to another service from LGW. The idea of doing a LHR-LGW connection via the M25 is pretty off-putting - so this flight is great for my needs. I just find it a little odd that there aren't more people who see it the same way.
i dont either. Given I cant get to LHR from my local airport. Nor a train as I live on an island.

Although I have done the M25 shuttle a number of times, both by bus and private transger (depending on how many of us travelling)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amanx
How is this service less than stellar?
If LGW is short of aircraft and a flight has to be canx, the JFK flight is often the one that gets canx because it's so easy to re-route pax, including via LHR.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Preferred Plus
I was on this last week, flew LGW>JFK in WTP and JFK>LGW overnight in Club.

Coming back I did the sleeper service dining in the lounge - they were offering fresh cooked to order burger combinations plus a couple of other cooked to order meals, in addition to the buffet stuff. Bottled water and breakfast selection cards (wake me+feed me / wake me+hydrate me / let me sleep) handed out as soon as we boarded. I was in 4A, Club was pretty full but still quiet with only 4 rows of people. Woken up by the captain's update at 40 minutes out, cup of tea plonked in my hands as soon as I asked for one, arrived home less than 30 minutes after collecting my bag off the belt - all in all, my most enjoyable / stress-free work trip to NY in a while.

Just remembered I took a photo of the on-board menu whilst waiting to land in case anyone asked about LGW catering. Drive is playing up so I can't get it now but here's the main summary

Dinner

Starters: Chicken nicoise / Smoked red pepper and chickpea soup
Salad - fresh seasonal salad
Main: choice of Barbecue glazed brisket / Pan seared Atlantic cod / Spinach and ricotta rotolo
Desserts: Creme caramel / Warm Viennese apple strudel / Cheese board
Coffee

Or Express option (select starter, dessert and drink preference and it will be brought to you)

Breakfast
Starters: Chilled orange juide / an energizing smoothie / fresh seasonal fruit
Bakery: A selection of assorted breakfast pastries
Please choose from: Bacon, egg and cheese panini / Bagel with oven roasted tomatoes, courgette and grilled halloumi cheese

PS. I guess the Saturday evening LGW>JFK flight is not a big hit with people going on holiday (get to NY early to make the most of the weekend!) - I was in WTP which was one third full, had a bulkhead row of 4 to myself, decent IFE, mini Pommery champagne bottles and the new improved catering, so all in all a much more enjoyable flight than the typical busy LHR>JFK WTP cabin!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

In this case, I don’t think the criticism is of LGW, rather how BA itself treats the LGW-JFK route. The suspicion has always been there that the route was added primarily to hurt Norwegian, and BA’s regular willingness to cancel it, as noted above, doesn’t do a lot to change that impression. Perhaps that would have happened less if BA were not short of airframes, it’s hard to be sure from outside.

Nonetheless, it has been a frequent victim of cancellation, so for your sake I hope you don’t end up doing the M25 dance to connect, even at BA’s expense. In your case it looks like a refurbed 772, so the cabin condition (and IFE, if required) should at least be decent, which cannot always be said of the remaining unrefurbished LGW 772 fleet...
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If LGW is short of aircraft and a flight has to be canx, the JFK flight is often the one that gets canx because it's so easy to re-route pax, including via LHR.
Ok, but i have never had a flught cancelled by BA flying from LGW.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amanx
Ok, but i have never had a flight cancelled by BA flying from LGW.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote".
ajeleonard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.