Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

EWR-LHR flight to be operated by Air Belgium -- should I care?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BA has notified me that a spring flight I have from EWR to LHR will now be operated by Air Belgium. I have a coach seat. Should I care?

All I know about Air Belgium is that they were (are?) supposed to be a low fare airline that might someday fly to Asia. I don't think they currently operate any scheduled service. They apparently own 4 A340s, which I guess will be used for this service.

BA is willing to let me fly on another day on a BA plane if I want to. But that's not very desirable for me.

I am flying with my wife and the only time I can recall being on an A340 is with South African. Those are 2-4-2 in coach, which wouldn't be a terrible configuration for us if I can somehow snag 2 seats along the window.

Does anyone have any experience with this substitution?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:08 pm

The search button is your friend here.

Air Belgium for BA

Air Belgium operating BA route
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
check those other threads, but in economy I really don't think it will make much difference - the A340 is a nice quiet aircraft (relative to, say, a 777 you might fly on BA to EWR) and has the advantage of a 2-seat block by the window (whereas the BA planes on a 777 would be 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (can't remember where we are with densification these days...)

it will be BA catering either way

probably just stick with the flight if the timing is convenient for you
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you're in Y and were on a 787, I think it's a good thing !
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
The IFE is pretty poor in terms of choice so you may want to load up an ipad.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratypus
check those other threads, but in economy I really don't think it will make much difference - the A340 is a nice quiet aircraft (relative to, say, a 777 you might fly on BA to EWR) and has the advantage of a 2-seat block by the window (whereas the BA planes on a 777 would be 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (can't remember where we are with densification these days...)

it will be BA catering either way

probably just stick with the flight if the timing is convenient for you
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If you're in Y and were on a 787, I think it's a good thing !
Originally Posted by cosmo74
The IFE is pretty poor in terms of choice so you may want to load up an ipad.
Yeah, it seems weird, but from the reports there seems to be "nothing really wrong" with flying Air Belgium, especially in coach. I've read that their IFE isn't great, but on an east-bound transatlantic flight (my return trip is still reportedly on BA metal), I don't really care. I mostly want to try to sleep.

I went to BA and they want $41 each for an advance seat assignment. Too rich for my blood, so I guess I can log in at the 24 hour mark and try to snag two seats along the window?

Originally Posted by simons1
The search button is your friend here.

Air Belgium for BA

Air Belgium operating BA route
Thanks. I actually found the Dubai link but my search did not yield the longer thread that discusses how these Air Belgium flights are now spread around the BA system, including EWR. Seems strange they would bring them to New York, where the service is likely to attract a fair bit of unwanted attention. Are the engine problems with their own aircraft that severe that BA still needs to do this in May?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:24 am

<div style="text-align:left;">
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, it seems weird, but from the reports there seems to be "nothing really wrong" with flying Air Belgium, especially in coach. I've read that their IFE isn't great, but on an east-bound transatlantic flight (my return trip is still reportedly on BA metal), I don't really care. I mostly want to try to sleep.<br /><br />(Snip)<br /><br />Are the engine problems with their own aircraft that severe that BA still needs to do this in May?
<br /><br />It appears so, and there are 787s still parked up.<br /><br />I imagine it is quite easy to bury a few flights on routes like New York where there are plenty of alternatives. And as you say most feedback is there is nothing wrong with the flight anyway.<br /><br /></div>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.