FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   TP/Avios for AUP to a GUF'd booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1957239-tp-avios-aup-gufd-booking.html)

abligh Feb 20, 2019 4:18 am

TP/Avios for AUP to a GUF'd booking

If I book in WTP and apply a GUF to CW (through a TA if that matters), then purchase an AUP so I'm in F, what TP/Avios do I get (by the book) (*)? The sticky thread says:
  • If you receive an operational upgrade and then pay for a further upgrade, you should only get the initial ticket level, in the above example World Traveller Plus Avios and Tier Points, but there are reports of passengers actually getting First Tier Points and Avios.
But that's an OpUp not a GUF which is potentially slightly different as I'd have a ticket booked into a revenue class. I understand that in theory without the AUP one should get only WTP TP/Avios, but the "if you purchase the upgrade you should get the upgraded class TP/Avios" rule might apply with the GUF.

Aside from what is meant to happen by the book, what happens in practice?

(*) - having written this and reread it, I realise how arcane this forum must seem to people who don't read it regularly. Decoded if wordy version for those struggling with TLAs: "If I book in premium economy / world traveller plus, then apply a 'gold upgrade for one' voucher' to get to club world / business, using a travel agent, and subsequently purchase an airport upgrade to get to first, what tier points or Avios do I get?".

KARFA Feb 20, 2019 4:46 am

You are entitled to the TPs and avios for the underlying cash fare, so in this case for the WTP fare. If you just AUP/POUG your WTP fare you would be entitled to the upgraded cabin TPs and avios. However, once you GUF/UuA you break that link.

Of course mistakes can happen and with BA IT you may end up with more that WTP, but I wouldn't broadcast it if you do ;)

windowontheAside Feb 20, 2019 5:16 am

Originally Posted by abligh (Post 30800605)
(*) - having written this and reread it, I realise how arcane this forum must seem to people who don't read it regularly. Decoded if wordy version for those struggling with TLAs: "

I don't think I'd trust the answer from someone who couldn't understand the originally worded question :D

mikeyfly Feb 20, 2019 5:26 am

You are meant to receive the TPs and Avios of the cabin in which you have booked / paid - not GUF'd.

Don't think the stick could be clearer on what's meant to happen. The full version

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ki-thread.html

Krisz Feb 20, 2019 5:44 am

I think what the OP might misunderstood is that if you book it with a TA obviously the TA won't see any reward availability and they are allowed to book if (in case for CW) I class is available. However the TA should not issue a plain simple I class ticket. Sometimes that could happen and that is why you would see the tier point and miles for the CW cabin and not for the WTP. But if the TA follow the rules you should get tier for the WTP cabin but you will travel in CW. in regards of AUP I would be careful. If my MMB showed tier point for CW probably would risk the AUP and hope you will get F tier and avios but it won't be a guarantee and in worst case the agent who processing the AUP could correct the TA mistake and you could end up with the correct tier and avios which is would be WTP. I wouldn't recommend to do this for tier point run, etc. Also just a side note recently I used GUF, booked over the phone and interestingly the BA E-ticket email contains now lines for the GUF voucher I used. It is much detailed now so I guess BA IT catching up.

Canad Feb 20, 2019 6:24 am

Is there any way to check if your TA upgrade using Avios has rendered you a booking class that will give more TP than the original booking? There is no notion of booking class in the confirmation e-mail and

Canad Feb 20, 2019 6:30 am

Should have looked deeper on BA online, under 'More flight information" it clearly states I'm still in T after the CW upgrade.

Globaliser Feb 20, 2019 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Canad (Post 30800879)
Is there any way to check if your TA upgrade using Avios has rendered you a booking class that will give more TP than the original booking?

Your current booking class alone will not tell you whether/what you will earn for the flight.