Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF irreg on BA award

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
QF irreg on BA award

Seeking some insight/advices here...got downgraded today on QF153 MEL-AKL from Business to Economy. It was operated with a newly config A330. GA offered A$350 comp for each of us. She asked for a credit card. However, our reservation was booked with BA miles. How would that work? Can we still get part of the mileage spent deposited bk due to the downgrade?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This isn't covered by EC261, but is covered by the Conditions of Carriage and presumably normal contract laws. So my suspicion is that if you apply to BA for the refund, eventually you'll get some of your Avios back. Keep safe a copy of the boarding pass and any other documentation. The only potential hitch I can see is that BA will presumably refer it back to Qantas, who may deny the claim, but I would hope not.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Well, QF already comp'd me in cash for the discrepancy. I only like BA to refund me the mileage difference b/t Y and J.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:51 am

Surely the QF cash element was compensation for the inconvenience of the downgrade and that the Avios difference between J and Y should be handled separately and should be made available back to the avios account holder? Hang on to your Y boarding pass just incase and male a note of your eticket number but absolutely yes make the claim.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Was the offer $350 compensation plus the fare difference back, or just $350? If the former you have an argument to get the difference in miles back, if the latter then you've already received everything you agreed to for the downgrade
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:54 am
Original Poster

I just rec'd the flat $350, nothing else.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
I just rec'd the flat $350, nothing else.
Which very very approximately would be the difference between economy & business class fares. [But economy fares can have a wide variation]
Nothing like EC261 in NZ - Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.