Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refund cancellation amount advised verbally was incorrect

Old Feb 19, 19, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Hilton Gold, KrisFlyer Silver +whatever Amex Platinum UK charge card gets me

Hi all,

Background: Booked a work trip to Montreal, ended up needing to cancel it. Travel agent through work booked the fare (around 539GBP I believe), world traveller. I then upgraded myself to WTP using the in place upgrade offer for 216GBP.
Fully understood it was a non-refundable fare, and would only be getting the taxes back but wanted to see what that worked out to be so I called the BAEC customer service.

First call I explained to them the booking methods used, and they advised the refund would be given to the original card used for the payment. They had to go away and figure out what the refund I would get back would be, so they said they would call me back.

They didn't call me back, so I rung them a couple of days later. Friendly rep put me on hold while he read the booking notes and proceeded to work it out. He confirmed that the refund would be around about 360 GBP, so I was happy with that, but just had to let the travel agents know so I didn't proceed with the request.

While I was doing this, I was unaware that the travel agents had also been enquiring about the cancellation refund, and they have it in writing the lesser refund amount. I ring BAEC back, and ask the representative "If I have been quoted two different amounts for the refund, one verbally and one in writing, which refund amount am I entitled to?" - and his response was "We would have to give you the higher amount because that is what we have told you in the past".

Fast forward a month later, still no refund, many many phone calls to BAEC to enquire about the refund, they still revert back to the lesser refund amount. I've asked them to go back and find all call recordings relating to that booking within a 2 week timeframe to listen to those calls, which they have refused to confirm that they have done so. I have done a data subject access request (though their customer service reps need to be trained to recognise and process a verbal request, and not to direct someone to fill out a form/email in themselves) as a way of requesting the calls for proof.

I know it's not a huge amount of money, however, based on principle (what they told me erroneously, but then proceeded to say that they would need to honour the wrong amount), what refund amount should I really get? And how much time/effort would any of the forum posters be willing to spend chasing something up like this? Any other thoughts? Or should I just suck it up?
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:01 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
You an expect to wait around 3-4 months for your GDPR request to be processed. BA have been inundated since the credit card theft issue and they are aware that this is beyond the legal timescales prescribed.

If you want to complain to the Information Commissioners Office they are aware BA are taking longer to reply and have a similarly long timeframe to deal with complaints/concerns at the minute.

Cant comment on the refund,, my understanding it would be taxes and fees apart from carrier surcharge less £30 but will let someone else confirm as I have never had to cancel a booking outside of a flight cancellation which prompted a full refund,
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Won't the corporate TA have a better and easier channel? Unless the phone agent read off the wrong amount, the amount ought to be in the PNR notes read to OP and that is what BA will likely refund.
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If my understanding is correct
Flight was booked with Travel agent and so any refund would have to be actioned with the travel agent
If the travel agent has information on the lower amount to be refunded at the time that the refund is requested, then that amount would seem to be correct
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:58 pm

I think the quickest way of getting this resolved as you have had a higher amount for the refund quoted verbally and advised this would be honoured is to send a DM on twitter. The twitter team can listen to the call recording and assist you further, they also handle refunds, changes and customer relations issues so will take ownership of your issue and any refund due would be expedited through them. Responses will be a lot quicker too.
Old Feb 19, 19, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by haroon145 View Post
I think the quickest way of getting this resolved as you have had a higher amount for the refund quoted verbally and advised this would be honoured is to send a DM on twitter. The twitter team can listen to the call recording and assist you further, they also handle refunds, changes and customer relations issues so will take ownership of your issue and any refund due would be expedited through them. Responses will be a lot quicker too.
My bolding - do the Twitter team have access to call recordings? I've found them very helpful in the past but didn't realise their options included this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Hilton Gold, KrisFlyer Silver +whatever Amex Platinum UK charge card gets me
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Won't the corporate TA have a better and easier channel? Unless the phone agent read off the wrong amount, the amount ought to be in the PNR notes read to OP and that is what BA will likely refund.
They didn't take any responsibility for the upgrade part of the fare which I paid for myself unfortunately - as far as they are concerned they only want the refund for the original fare paid, which is understandable.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
You an expect to wait around 3-4 months for your GDPR request to be processed. BA have been inundated since the credit card theft issue and they are aware that this is beyond the legal timescales prescribed.

If you want to complain to the Information Commissioners Office they are aware BA are taking longer to reply and have a similarly long timeframe to deal with complaints/concerns at the minute.

Cant comment on the refund,, my understanding it would be taxes and fees apart from carrier surcharge less £30 but will let someone else confirm as I have never had to cancel a booking outside of a flight cancellation which prompted a full refund,
Further proving that BA did not do their due diligence when preparing for GDPR. Worse luck for them they have had breaches, so I would like to think they at least would train their staff better to be able to recognise and action DSARs.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
My bolding - do the Twitter team have access to call recordings? I've found them very helpful in the past but didn't realise their options included this.
Would be interesting to know whether the Twitter team do have access to this - and about the possible impacts of them having access to this from a privacy perspective. I have worked on implementing GDPR for the last year so have a keen interest in this!

Does anyone know whether they record ALL recordings? The call centre I spoke to said that they have 'difficulty' locating the call recordings due to them being done by different offices, but you would hope that they are hosted in less data centres than there are call centres.....!
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by vegelion View Post
They didn't take any responsibility for the upgrade part of the fare which I paid for myself unfortunately - as far as they are concerned they only want the refund for the original fare paid, which is understandable.
Is the difference in the amounts accounted for by the additional APD that would be payable for WT+ over WT? £78 if flying now; £94 from 1 April 2019.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I assume the original booking was paid for by the corporate TA and you then paid for the upgrade?

To the extent there is anything due back for the underlying fare (taxes and third party fees) I imagine that should be due back to the TA.

The only element of the upgrade from WT-WTP which is due back to you personally is the extra APD if it was an exUK flight - the APD difference from WT to WTP is about £80 I think. The rest of the upgrade cost is not refundable as it is just the special fare promotion BA charged you to upgrade.

As to whether BA IT is sophisticated enough to split the refunds correctly between you and the TA thatís another story
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This may well account for the discrepancy and also points to the fact that reviewing the recording, if one was ever made, may not resolve the matter.

The TA and OP are each due some amount under BA's relatively creaky process. Because the ticket change made by OP changed the taxes, this would arguably change the way the refunds are paid.

Longer term, better for BA to simply establish a policy that everything goes back to the TA if the TA issued the ticket and it is between the passenger and the TA to sort things.
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:25 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by vegelion View Post
Would be interesting to know whether the Twitter team do have access to this - and about the possible impacts of them having access to this from a privacy perspective. I have worked on implementing GDPR for the last year so have a keen interest in this!

Does anyone know whether they record ALL recordings? The call centre I spoke to said that they have 'difficulty' locating the call recordings due to them being done by different offices, but you would hope that they are hosted in less data centres than there are call centres.....!

If you phone the helpdesk they can listen to the calls if it was from thst office. If it was from a different office a message will go to thst team and get the call listened to. So you shouldnít have to do a GDPR request though this will include any notes attached to the PNR.

Call recordings are are sent via DISC. From what I gather ICO is not overly concerned about BA taking longer.

Id hazard a guess thst even of the first call a mistake was made youíd only be entitled to the actual refund due to you and that just because a mistake was made Unless they want to do it as a gesture of goodwill I canít see anything that would entitle you to the higher amount. I do understand why you are angry but feel the extra hassle, wait and inconvenience isnít going to get you the result you want. Iím no BA apologist either been there, done that and got the T-shirt.