Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Confirmed vs. Waitlist - staff travel related enquiry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed vs. Waitlist - staff travel related enquiry

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks both!
I am super flexible with my outbound date, +/- 2 days works for me, so I have about 9 flights to choose from.
Plenty of seats in WT, but hoping for WT+ or CW and this is what causing the problem.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
That is too far out to be worrying about. Staff can put themselves down for multiple flights, but only have to confirm/pay a day before, so numbers that far out are meaningless. And because of that flexibility, the picture is constantly changing, even hours before the flight when staff are moving flights +/- a day, or the earlier/later flight, let alone IRROP's (and that might not be directly BA, could be another airline and they are re-booked onto your flight) and the paying passengers who are the priority come in to play.
And because of all that, flying on Staff Travel bring a new level of stress, and as A P Yo alluded to, if it is a busy route, or if things go wrong, you need backup plans. Whilst your standby flight will be cheap, having to pay for unplanned extra days hotel in somewhere like HK as the flights are full and 30 staff are all trying to get back at the same time, can get expensive fast.
I got stuck in BKK for a week a few years back on an annual freebie. In the end we got home on jumpseats with probably the best crew I have ever had. I don't bother with Staff Travel to Asia any more. It's too much of a headache and J tickets on superior carriers are available for not a lot of money.
erifax likes this.

Last edited by capin; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:12 pm Reason: correcting typos
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capin
I got stuck in BKK for a week a few years back on an annual freebie. In the end we got home on jumpseats with probably the best crew I have ever had. I don't bother with Staff Travel to Asia any more. It's too much of a headache and J tickets on superior carriers are available for not a lot of money.
There is only 1 flight a day to Bangkok and it is very often full so I am not surprised.

To destinations with lots of flights a day (New York, Miami etc...) it would be unlikely that you would be stuck for a week.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

My flight which I have a standby “ticket” for is departing tomorrow.
T-26 there were 66 people “Booked” (I am quoting the word Booked) in CW, and T-23 there were 78.

The question that I have is whether it ever happens that someone on a 21/J20 gets Confirmed in CW at OLCI?
That would explain the quick rise of “Booked” passengers...

Also does it ever happen that someone on staff travel gets Confirmed in J even before OLCI?

Many thanks for your help
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Yes to both is the quick answer.
let_BAegones_be likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
So glad I don't have to do battle in staff travel any more... Horrid experience.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by capin
Stuck for a week? That's really unusual. I've travelled staff for over 6 years and only ever missed one Asia staff flight out of dozens, ICN-LHR, and then I got the next day no problem. Maybe you just licked out and picked a peak period.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
So glad I don't have to do battle in staff travel any more... Horrid experience.
I suppose it all depends on your expectations.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

So very true. I've gotten last minute Y travel, with a free lucky bump to J for less than Ł80 from Tokyo to London in July. The other option was over a thousand pounds.

Be flexible, understanding and you can be pleasantly surprised.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

Just to be treat with respect and as a person... Not something the ground staff in JFK stood in on the side walk.

It never ceased to amaze me how nasty staff could be towards people on non-rev travel in the terminal and onboard.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Just to be treat with respect and as a person... Not something the ground staff in JFK stood in on the side walk.

It never ceased to amaze me how nasty staff could be towards people on non-rev travel in the terminal and onboard.
I think you're making this up now. I've only ever had one bad experience with staff travel (from HKG third party ground handlers), which is nothing compared to the number of times I've been treated like crap when I was a paid traveller.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Speaking from personal experience I have never been treated rudely or anything other than with kindness.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Thankfully I've never had a "bad" experience on staff travel. Ground staff at JFK have been outstanding anytime we flew from there and even the staff at MIA went out of their way to help when we got stranded. Same onboard, but then again maybe the biscuits and chocolates help!!!

Anyway, must dash, about to use my J to fly to London and then to Miami tomorrow.

The Caribbean is a calling....
Can I help you likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyuk
I think you're making this up now. I've only ever had one bad experience with staff travel (from HKG third party ground handlers), which is nothing compared to the number of times I've been treated like crap when I was a paid traveller.
Do you? Well, that is your choice to believe that.

I know what happened, twice at JFK and once at SFO... How I, and my mother on two occasions, were treated and I don't need you nor your thinking, to validate it.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I treat people how I like to be treated myself, it seems to work for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.